The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I'm 18 and wouldn't date anyone younger. I wouldn't particularly want to date anyone younger than 20ish, even.

My bf's 25 and I'm happy with that. <3
this is my opinion but if I went out with someone significantly younger than me I would always feel conscious of the age gap and that other people were thinking I was taking advantage, which I would feel like I was doing anyway.
bunthulhu
Yuck, my boyfriend left me for a year 9 when we were both at the end of Year 12. It wouldn't have been so awful but I know that a lot of their chemistry was sexual. Apparently she lied about her age though. Still, yuck. We're back together now but I gave him some serious grief when I found out how young she was!

I'd go for someone older anyway, if I were you. I was a bit of an idiot in year 9, didn't really know what I wanted and I've changed a hell of a lot since then, I have more stable relationships as a result.

Honey, you took him back? You're either very strong or very silly. Good luck, that must have hurt.
Reply 23
That is one thing that has gone through my head a lot, taking advantage weather i am or not.
chewitt_hemel
That is one thing that has gone through my head a lot, taking advantage weather i am or not.

I would feel as if I was taking advantage, due to the fact she would be 13, immature emotionally and physically and more vulnerable
Yeahh Leanne, my boyfriend hasn't exactly been what you'd call faithful :rolleyes: We've been together for almost 2 years, about 11 months in the middle was really rough, loads of girls he met on the internet that he said things that he shouldn't have to, a LOT of things :mad: He left me 3 times for 3 separate girls, all bimbos, one was of course miss year 9 :rolleyes: We came through it, it's all talked about and out in the open. I don't have a huge amount of trust for him but it's coming back, he regrets it and realises what an idiot he was, he says I'm great and he doesn't deserve me. We've never gotten on as well, he's very loving and affectionate like never before. I had a rough time of it; I found it out by myself from signing into his hotmail, reading his texts etc, so I'm not so innocent :wink: Yeah it did take strength but I'm also renowned for my silliness among everyone who hears my little tale of woe :biggrin:

Sorry for hijacking the thread!!! I just wanted to explain that I am in fact as dumb as I seem :biggrin:

Carry on with the Year 9s and such!!!
chewitt_hemel

I think she'd pretty much know what she was doing but I also think that while she might think it was okay to do it at the time she'd probably regret it later, I sure regret some of the things I did in year 9 :rolleyes:
bunthulhu
Yeahh my boyfriend hasn't exactly been what you'd call faithful :rolleyes: We've been together for almost 2 years, about 11 months in the middle was really rough, loads of girls he met on the internet that he said things that he shouldn't have to, a LOT of things :mad: He left me 3 times for 3 separate girls, all bimbos, one was of course miss year 9 :rolleyes: We came through it, it's all talked about and out in the open. I don't have a huge amount of trust for him but it's coming back, he regrets it and realises what an idiot he was, he says I'm great and he doesn't deserve me. We've never gotten on as well, he's very loving and affectionate like never before. I had a rough time of it; I found it out by myself from signing into his hotmail, reading his texts etc, so I'm not so innocent :wink: Yeah it did take strength but I'm also renowned for my silliness among everyone who hears my little tale of woe :biggrin:

Sorry for hijacking the thread!!! I just wanted to explain that I am in fact as dumb as I seem :biggrin:

Carry on with the Year 9s and such!!!

Well, if you can see how mean he's been and you still stay then there's summut interesting going on, I don't mean to sound harsh at all but there's a squillion better fish in the sea. If he does it again, get shut - for real :cool:
Yeah I'm a fool but I do love him to bits, other than the cheating thing he's my ideal boyfriend and I've never found anyone who I click with as much as him - despite a lot of looking during the rough times!! But yeah if he does it again it's over for good. His saving grace from me dumping him was that it never got physical with any of the girls. But, we're off to uni next year, I'm peeing myself about it, so worried he's going to go astray again :frown: Ah well such is my luck lol!!
Timeslikethese
Erm, being in a relationship with the opposite sex always has sexual motivations - why else go out with her?

It's sad if that's what you think.

Some of us like to think that you go out with someone because you like them as a person and then the sex question comes up once you're close to them: not that you go out with them for the sex.
amie
But, hypothetically speaking, if the relationship got serious you might want to - it's a natural part of relationships. And she might still only be 15 at that point.

In my teens, I had a fair few relationships that never became sexual: either because neither of us were comfortable enough, we felt that we weren't ready...
Not everyone just goes and has sex as soon as they have their first relationship, because that's what all the cool kids are doing and because, well, a relationship is an opportunity to get rid of the V plates. Having innocent teenage relationships is all part of a healthy youth. Before experimenting with sex, you should first understand relationships.
Reply 31
Timeslikethese
..plus it's statutory rape

Ah, but of course: the perennial afterthought.
Timeslikethese
erm.. 16 is the legal age for a reason. Anyone under that age is not mature enough, I dont even think 16 is old enough, you can't feel love the same way so sex isn't going to be the way it ought to be. Don't have sex with a 14 year old girl, it's just wrong.

Possibly you are jumping to the sex conclusion a bit quickly?
Timeslikethese
erm.. 16 is the legal age for a reason. Anyone under that age is not mature enough, I dont even think 16 is old enough, you can't feel love the same way so sex isn't going to be the way it ought to be. Don't have sex with a 14 year old girl, it's just wrong.

:ditto::ditto::ditto:
Reply 34
Anonymous
In the delicate teen years, 3 years is a hell of a lot. Its not worth the 'paedo' taunting you would get.

I agree.. but if you can work it out and don't make it as an issue your relationship will not be awkward ... but i think it awkward to go out with an older girl than to go out with an older boy ... am i on the right lines ???
more adventurous
I'm 18 and wouldn't date anyone younger. I wouldn't particularly want to date anyone younger than 20ish, even.

My bf's 25 and I'm happy with that. <3

So when he was 18 you were 11 :smile:
Reply 36
im 18 n my girlfriend is 11.
I am your girlfriend.
Ron Stoppable
Friendly banter's fine! By the end of year 13, quite a few of us had "fan clubs" in lower years. I led the music dept tour to Prague that Summer and had a large pastoral remit to look after the year 8s and 9s. Loz, my then best friend, would get seriously peeved* at the messages we'd find under my door and on my phone. No big - they're young and will get crushes all the time. Sure, your year 9 girl may think about more than is "socially acceptable", but she's adolescent - it's her imaginary gig. Leave her to it.

As for even thinking about a relationship, I'm 21 and won't go below 19. However, it's nothing to do with your "benchmark", rather because experience has taught me that women who are 19+ are more likely to have their lives together. Your lives won't be going in the same direction for long if one person doesn't know where they want to go.

Where's the footnote?
Our sixth form boys have a thing with hanging out with girls 2-3 years younger than them, so the yr13s go with the yr10/11 girls, and the yr12s with the yr9/10s, we never got it (but were quite happy when it was our turn to be fancied by all the yr13s) We currently have one 20 year old dude whos going out with a 15 year old, it's just sick