is this strange? Watch

lucaz
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
I pass my test(with only 1 minor), get a car and then my dad sitting with me everywhere I go to check my driving - its been happening for days now and its getting really anoying, and he plans to go out with me tomorrow as well!!! what can i do to get him off my back?
DoktaUH
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
endure it, once he is confident he'll let you do as you please
Ghost
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
That seems silly - does your dad think that his standard of driving is higher than that of the examiner? If you've passed your test, you should be out on your own, that's when the real learning starts. Not with father dearest making sure you're doing M-S-M
Lofty
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
He's got a perfect right to do that, i would as well. To me you sound a little bit cocky about passing, you dont learn to drive properly till after you pass.

So don't thing you own the roads now, you're still learning!
magnad
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Kind of depends imho. Did he pay for the car and insurance or did you?

If he did, I understand it. If not, he really should get off your back
Dougy_S
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Lofty)
He's got a perfect right to do that, i would as well. To me you sound a little bit cocky about passing, you dont learn to drive properly till after you pass.

So don't thing you own the roads now, you're still learning!
Exactly. Driving instructors teach you how to pass your test, then you learn to drive. I dont know many people who have passed their test or not recieved a minor for not 'feeding the wheel', but do you see many people do it when actually driving?? I cant remember the last time lol. But as someone else said is a confidence thing, once your dad thinks you've got it he will stop.
Elz
Badges: 0
Report 12 years ago
Yeah, once he thinks you've got the hang of it i'm sure he'll let you drive on your own. I passed my test three years ago and I'm still learning so it doesn't happen overnight
OBScene
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
As people have said, fair enough if he paid for the car etc, but if not, it should be your choice if you want to write it off, he needs to relax a little...
Lofty
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by OBScene)
As people have said, fair enough if he paid for the car etc, but if not, it should be your choice if you want to write it off, he needs to relax a little...
So your syaing he shouldn't be bothered about the safety of his daughter as long as she paid for the car?
OBScene
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Lofty)
So your syaing he shouldn't be bothered about the safety of his daughter as long as she paid for the car?
No, if she's going to crash she'll probably crash whether he's there or not, however, if he's paid for the car it's fair enough if he wants to check she can drive it safely and without messing up the car. However, if she's paid for the car she should be able to do whatever she wants, e.g. I paid for my car and insurance, so if I want to rag it and skid around corners, my license, my car, my choice .
Lofty
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by OBScene)
No, if she's going to crash she'll probably crash whether he's there or not, however, if he's paid for the car it's fair enough if he wants to check she can drive it safely and without messing up the car. However, if she's paid for the car she should be able to do whatever she wants, e.g. I paid for my car and insurance, so if I want to rag it and skid around corners, my license, my car, my choice .
That seems really selfish, its not your choice which pedestrian you hit driving like that, nor theirs.
broughy
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by lucaz)
I pass my test(with only 1 minor), get a car and then my dad sitting with me everywhere I go to check my driving - its been happening for days now and its getting really anoying, and he plans to go out with me tomorrow as well!!! what can i do to get him off my back?
tell him you feel you need to get used to driving on your own without a "2nd pair of eyes" sort of thing
Friggerpants
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
It seems perfectley normal to me, even if he didn't pay for the car. Just remember when you want to go somewhere, and he's got other plans, he can't possibly sit with you!

He's just trying to get used to the fact you drive, my mum's told me it doesn't feel right when I drive, as I'm young, and she's older.
flyboy123
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Crikey...Your dad should realise that your 17 and dont need him to be with you constantly. If my parents did that i would have been really frustrated and would probably have ended up driving too fast and agressivly as soon as they got out the car (which has to happen some time)

Tell him you would like some independance now that youve passed as that was kinda the reason you wanted to learn to dive anyway...To be honest if he always comes with you then what was the point of you learning. He could have just been your chauffeur
Hurricane_Herd
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
do you have your own car tho....or are you driving his ? i could understand his actions if you are insured on his car....as i threat about similar things. But, if its your car....he is being a little crazy !
magnad
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Well, no response as of yet

What happened to me was I passed my test, came home, went to the toilet, grabbed my car keys and drove randomly.

I think that if you're good enough to pass, then now you must have the option to learn without anybody telling you what gear to use, when to indicate and so on.

You have to learn for yourself when thing get a little interesting. But still, if your dad paid for it, it's understandable he wants to protect his investment.
jakatak
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
look lucaz.. clearly these people really arent helping

what you do is play really loud music that he doesnt like and he'll go away soon enough.. now thats a solution
pumpkin7
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
i went out with my dad today in my car, and he kept telling me to slow down, although i was doing under 30 on the 30 roads... under 40 on the 40 roads.. etc..
L0RA
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Mum wouldnt let me drive her car until i'd been driving for a few months but she didnt sit with me when she eventually did insure me. (I had my own car aswell BTW)

Like others have said - if its your car he doesnt really have much right to do that but if its his car then i can understand him being worries about a new driver driving it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1462)
79.59%
Leave (375)
20.41%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed