Turn on thread page Beta

Why have I not got a boyfriend? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Whenever people who I meet/talk to online ask if I have a bf and I say no they ask 'why not'. Does this happen to just me, I don't see what its got to do with them I mean why should I have a bf? Its like someone asking why I don't have a cd player or something, I just don't. What am I supposed to say:confused:

ReputationRep:
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=252120
    shame the OP is anon, otherwise perfect match

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by goodLife)
    Whenever people who I meet/talk to online ask if I have a bf and I say no they ask 'why not'. Does this happen to just me, I don't see what its got to do with them I mean why should I have a bf? Its like someone asking why I don't have a cd player or something, I just don't. What am I supposed to say:confused:
    "If you met me in person you'd soon realise"?

ReputationRep:
    Ignore them, they're idiots. That's just rude really. Either be nice and say something like 'there's noone I like right now' or 'I don't really have time for one right now'.

Alternatively, give them what they deserve. Say 'what's it to you?', 'last time I checked that had nothing to do with you', or go all out and say 'I'm a lesbian, jackass'

Honestly, don't let it bother you. Try to avoid the idiots, and remember, you don't need to explain yourself to anyone

i think the op feels a bit different to the desperate anon .. its more frustation at the question, the person asking doesnt want a life history, but if she doesnt give them one, it can make her look like some sort of loser. Best answer i can think of now: im sorry, am i supposed to be in a relationship? changes the subject and should make them realise that it is a silly question, and obviously, sometimes can be taken as an insult. or if you want to get rid of them, "people find me repulsive".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mangaroo)
    Best answer i can think of now: im sorry, am i supposed to be in a relationship? changes the subject and should make them realise that it is a silly question
    Oooh, that's a good one too

im feeling in a late night TSR kind of mood, count your blessings people >=)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lucyj)
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=252120
    shame the OP is anon, otherwise perfect match
    Thats nothing to do with the topic.:confused:

ReputationRep:
    i think the op feels a bit different to the desperate anon
    Fair enough . OP on a more serious note, I know what you mean, people are just so nosey. I think sometimes people say why havent you got a boyfriend to make themselves feel better i.e they have a boyfriend therfore must be better than you in some way- if that makes any sense.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by doublex)
    "If you met me in person you'd soon realise"?
    lol I might actually say that:p:

yeah, but sometimes people (albeit clumsily) say it because they are generally interested and want to make conversation, so barking at them can be sometimes harsh...id assume theyd learn their lesson =P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lucyj)
    Fair enough . OP on a more serious note, I know what you mean, people are just so nosey. I think sometimes people say why havent you got a boyfriend to make themselves feel better i.e they have a boyfriend therfore must be better than you in some way- if that makes any sense.
    Yea you might be right though its the guys that say it mainly:confused:

ReputationRep:
    Best answer i can think of now: im sorry, am i supposed to be in a relationship?
    I'l use that too thanks

ReputationRep:
    Yea you might be right though its the guys that say it mainly:confused:
    thats strange, because its usually girls being *****y. Maybe they are just shocked that someone like you (meant in a nice way) doesnt have a boyfriend.

ReputationRep:
    keep the mood light and if they are making converation, they will appreciate the friendliness, and if they are just being an *******, humour will undermine them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lucyj)
    thats strange, because its usually girls being *****y. Maybe they are just shocked that someone like you (meant in a nice way) doesnt have a boyfriend.
    Well its usually asked at the start of a conversation when they have never even seen me but they are probably trying to work out if im ugly or something.

ReputationRep:
    They're asking you the question maybe to find out whether or not they should make the effort in trying to be with you or not? You should probably respond in different ways depending on if you like the person asking you or not. For example, if you don't like the person, perhaps say, 'I havent got the time for a boyfriend.' However, if you do like the person, maybe say, 'I havent found the right person yet.'

ReputationRep:
    Just say: 'do you have a CD player?'

That should throw them.

ReputationRep:
    Well its usually asked at the start of a conversation when they have never even seen me but they are probably trying to work out if im ugly or something.
    I think it just must be a conversation starter then.

ReputationRep:
    Just read your post, if you have just met them, you probably have neutral feelings for them, so something like, 'I havent got time' would be a good way to respond.

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.