Reapplying to UCL please help!! Watch

WingZero
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi there, I missed my grades for my offer for UCL economics the first time round so ive decided to retake my a levels and try again this year.
UCL have told me the chances of getting an offer for applicants reapplying and retaking there a levels are really low, and ive heard they ask for higher grades. Does anyone know anything about this if this is true or not, and has anyone actually got in for economics a second time round?
Also i currently attend another university of london studying economics, and i was wondering if i should apply through my university and get a referance from them? none of the lectueres know me very well and we havent had many tests so they dont really know my ability... should i reapply through my old school instead?
finally does anybody have any advice on how i should change my personnel statement for a reapplication? i got an offer the first time round but since im reapplying should i change it in anyway?

Any help is appreciated and thank you all
WingZero
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
bump
Carnationlilyrose
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by WingZero)
Hi there, I missed my grades for my offer for UCL economics the first time round so ive decided to retake my a levels and try again this year.
UCL have told me the chances of getting an offer for applicants reapplying and retaking there a levels are really low, and ive heard they ask for higher grades. Does anyone know anything about this if this is true or not, and has anyone actually got in for economics a second time round?
Also i currently attend another university of london studying economics, and i was wondering if i should apply through my university and get a referance from them? none of the lectueres know me very well and we havent had many tests so they dont really know my ability... should i reapply through my old school instead?
finally does anybody have any advice on how i should change my personnel statement for a reapplication? i got an offer the first time round but since im reapplying should i change it in anyway?

If UCL have already told you that the chances are very low, I really wouldn't get your hopes up. I think that's really a gentle way of saying don't bother. Be very sure of your reasons for doing it. It is common for universities to ask for higher grades the second time round but I don't know specifically about UCL. It'd probably be wise to ask UCL directly who they would prefer the reference from. Although I understand your point about them not knowing you well where you are, UCL might take the view that not using them might suggest there is something you are hiding. If you do use your current university, however, that will tell them you are planning to leave. I suggest you discuss this pretty swiftly with your personal tutor. As for updating your ps, that's difficult as you should make it a positive document, not one which draws attention to your deficiencies. You will have to declare your current educational status, so they can draw their own conclusions. Ask yourself seriously whether all this is worth it and be prepared for a negative outcome.
infairverona
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I agree with the above, usually on here people say ask the uni and you have information directly from the uni. I'm guessing you will need really high grades to prove that you are worth their time.
Hazard17
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by WingZero)

What were your GCSE, AS and predicted grades that led to you getting an offer from them?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19
  • University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 27 Aug '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 31 Aug '19

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (214)
12.73%
Excited (151)
8.98%
Worried (303)
18.02%
Terrified (376)
22.37%
Meh (158)
9.4%
Confused (37)
2.2%