The Student Room Group

Irish appliciants PGCE

Hi Everyone,

First off I would like to say what a support and mountain of knowledge this forum has been. As an Irish student with great roots in the UK I have always wanted to study and teach in the country that is a second home to me.

I have applied for the PGCE PRIMARY and am just waiting on my second reference so I can finalise my application.

I thought it might be a good idea to set up a forum for those of us Irish hoping to get a place in uni so that we can share information, ideas and help support each other. obviously id love to hear from UK applicants also!!! :smile:

I suppose what id like to know is if we would book the skills test before we find out if we get an interview or not - would it be pointless travelling to the uk only to find out that we dont.

Also are the skills test like the junior cert or leaving cert? from reading through very helpful forums i can see that its the gcse level but for us does that mean its junior or leaving cert.

looking forward to hearing from all of us hopefulls xx :smile:
I am also in the same position as you (Irish student applying for primary pgce). I booked my skills test for Newry and I booked them both on the same day so I wouldn't have to travel to the UK. From what I've been reading the GCSE's are closer to leaving cert than junior cert. when filling in the application, it seemed L.C. Results were the same as GCSE's.

Posted from TSR Mobile
GCSEs - 16 years old

A Levels - 18 years old

Don't know how they compare to the Junior/Leaving Cert with regards to content/difficulty tho
I'm an Irish student too! From what I've read GCSEs are slightly harder than the Junior Cert but not as difficult as the Leaving! UK students study 5 years in secondary before they complete their GCSEs, I hope this helps :smile:
Reply 4
hey,

thanks for all your responces.

I have an interview next WEDNESDAY for uel. im really excited about it but very nervous at the same time.

Have any of you heard about interviews yet? where have yee applied to??
Congrats on the interview..!
I only sent my finished application this evening (secondary referee had some issues) but I've applied to uni of birmingham, birmingham city uni and newman uni..! It's such a relief to have this part over..!
How are you getting on with prep for the interview..?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
thank you. its a great feeling to know that your short listed for an interview.

As ive only got notice of the interview today im trying my best to organise myself with flights while preparing interview questions..lesson plans etc. this site is great for all that and im finding it extremly helpful.

yes its a relief to know you have your application sorted. all you have to do now is wait for an interview!! :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by irishwitgirl
thank you. its a great feeling to know that your short listed for an interview.

As ive only got notice of the interview today im trying my best to organise myself with flights while preparing interview questions..lesson plans etc. this site is great for all that and im finding it extremly helpful.

yes its a relief to know you have your application sorted. all you have to do now is wait for an interview!! :smile:

Hi just wondering how you got on with your interview at UEL? I had an interview recently and still waiting to hear back. Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest