The Student Room Group

Oxford Materials Science Students and Applicants

Well, I applied for physics and they had requested us physics applicants to fill a form to apply for materials science too if we wish. I did. Recently got a rejection letter for physics :frown: so now thinking what about materials science? Will it b a rejection too?? :frown: Any1 of u have heard from them?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
hi! sorry, not answering your question...
you got your letter pretty quick....where are you from?
Reply 2
Smiling guy
Well, I applied for physics and they had requested us physics applicants to fill a form to apply for materials science too if we wish. I did. Recently got a rejection letter for physics :frown: so now thinking what about materials science? Will it b a rejection too?? :frown: Any1 of u have heard from them?

Sorry, but as far as I know it's not actually treated as a separate application, so once you get a rejection letter (saying your application is no longer being considered etc), that's it. If you want a definite answer, email your college, but I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you...
Reply 3
hobnob
Sorry, but as far as I know it's not actually treated as a separate application, so once you get a rejection letter (saying your application is no longer being considered etc), that's it. If you want a definite answer, email your college, but I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you...

Here is the email I received some time back when applying for Physics. I think it is considered separately, but the interviews were on the 16th of December, and I was not informed about it at all. IS that normal? I mean, even if they were rejecting me, they could have informed me. :s-smilie:

From the email:

We have received your UCAS application for a place on one of our Physics degree programmes. As you may be aware from our Undergraduate Prospectus and/or from the Department of Physics’ website, applicants for Physics may also nominate Materials Science as a second choice degree programme.

We are now writing to ask if, in addition to being considered for a place on one of our Physics programmes, you wish to be considered for a place on our Materials Science programme. The two applications will be considered separately, and so candidates may be short-listed for either course, both courses, or neither course. If a candidate is considered suitable for both courses, then only an offer for Physics will be made.
Reply 4
yurimano
hi! sorry, not answering your question...
you got your letter pretty quick....where are you from?

It's ok :smile:
I am from the US. what about u?
Reply 5
i'm from mauritius... still havnt got any news..maybe tomorrow..i feel like i've never waited so long in my life...
good luck for materials science! (:
Smiling guy

Were you interviewed for MatSci? If you weren't interviewed, then they won't be offering you a place; if you were interviewed, you might just possibly be. DtS
Reply 7
Smiling guy
Here is the email I received some time back when applying for Physics. I think it is considered separately, but the interviews were on the 16th of December, and I was not informed about it at all. IS that normal? I mean, even if they were rejecting me, they could have informed me. :s-smilie:

From the email:

We have received your UCAS application for a place on one of our Physics degree programmes. As you may be aware from our Undergraduate Prospectus and/or from the Department of Physics’ website, applicants for Physics may also nominate Materials Science as a second choice degree programme.

We are now writing to ask if, in addition to being considered for a place on one of our Physics programmes, you wish to be considered for a place on our Materials Science programme. The two applications will be considered separately, and so candidates may be short-listed for either course, both courses, or neither course. If a candidate is considered suitable for both courses, then only an offer for Physics will be made.

Hmm, to me the phrase "may be shortlisted" would suggest that if you had been shortlisted for Materials Science, you'd have had materials interviews as well as physics interviews. So if you only had physics interviews, that probably means you were only shortlisted for that. It does sound a bit confusing.:confused: Emailing the college can't hurt, though. If nothing else, it will at least give you closure.

Edit: Gah. The Sheep beat me to it.:frown:
Reply 8
Derek_the_Sheep
Were you interviewed for MatSci? If you weren't interviewed, then they won't be offering you a place; if you were interviewed, you might just possibly be. DtS

They did not even tell me if I was shortlisted or not for materials science. Is that normal? normally, i would expect, as like any other oxford course, I would be given a rejection/invitation letter following discussion on whom to interview for materials science. But since this has not been done, I am in the dark.. :s-smilie:

hobnob
Hmm, to me the phrase "may be shortlisted" would suggest that if you had been shortlisted for Materials Science, you'd have had materials interviews as well as physics interviews. So if you only had physics interviews, that probably means you were only shortlisted for that. It does sound a bit confusing. Emailing the college can't hurt, though. If nothing else, it will at least give you closure.

Edit: Gah. The Sheep beat me to it.

Again the same question as above hobnob.. Why didn't they email me to tell me I was rejected for Materials Science? I have emailed the admissions department, hoping to receive a reply from them soon, though am not expecting a really happy ending to this :o:
Reply 9
yurimano
i'm from mauritius... still havnt got any news..maybe tomorrow..i feel like i've never waited so long in my life...
good luck for materials science! (:

Ohh, thanks.. I do hope you get the news soon and good luck to you too :smile:
Reply 10
Smiling guy
They did not even tell me if I was shortlisted or not for materials science. Is that normal? normally, i would expect, as like any other oxford course, I would be given a rejection/invitation letter following discussion on whom to interview for materials science. But since this has not been done, I am in the dark.. :s-smilie:

Again the same question as above hobnob.. Why didn't they email me to tell me I was rejected for Materials Science? I have emailed the admissions department, hoping to receive a reply from them soon, though am not expecting a really happy ending to this :o:

Perhaps the letter got lost. Or perhaps they don't think it's necessary to send letters to physics applicants who have been shortlisted for the subject they originally applied for just to let them know they haven't been shortlisted for materials science as well. Either way, if you weren't interviewed for materials science - and going by your posts so far, I'd assume that you weren't - then there's probably no hope of getting an offer for it now. Sorry.:frown:
Reply 11
hobnob
Perhaps the letter got lost. Or perhaps they don't think it's necessary to send letters to physics applicants who have been shortlisted for the subject they originally applied for just to let them know they haven't been shortlisted for materials science as well. Either way, if you weren't interviewed for materials science - and going by your posts so far, I'd assume that you weren't - then there's probably no hope of getting an offer for it now. Sorry.:frown:

Ok, thanks for these infos hobnob.. I'll just accept it and move on :smile:
Reply 12
just got a rejection letter from St. Catz. Well now I am left with Imperial and I have to wait till after 15 Jan to know my result.

Congratulation to those who get/will get the places.
I've noticed a rather large lack of talk about Materials Science at Oxford. Granted the department is tiny but I think it's time those of us applying to this particular area had a place to chat and compare our experiences of being rejected, which is the inevitable fate of all Oxbridge graduates.
So I'll start

I applied for Materials Science at oxford and Imperial. I've yet to hear back from Oxford about any interviews or such.
Anybody in the same boat?
Reply 14
Hello,

Applied to Oxford and Imperial.
Rejected by Imperial already
What grades do you have at GCSE and AS and what are your predictions?
Which college did you apply to?
The Queen's college.
Predicted A*A*A*A
Got an offer from Imperial
Woop, interview at The Queen's
Found the invitation in my junk mail...
Interview at Trinity, second interview at Teddy Hall. And I agree, let's revive this thread. Although, I don't think that many applicants for Matsci are on TSR.
Original post by TheBeesKnees
...I don't think that many applicants for Matsci are on TSR.

Honestly I don't think that there are many people applying to Matsci full stop, certainly compared to any other course.
Every time someone asks me what I applied for, I have to explain what Matsci is. Most people think I'm talking about textiles.
Similar experiences?
Original post by TheBeesKnees
Interview at Trinity, second interview at Teddy Hall.

Oh my interview's on the 17th BTW. Wouldn't it be odd if we both had interviews on the same ay again?

Quick Reply

Latest