The Student Room Group

university, grades, statements, subjects

I'm currently studying history, politics, philosophy a levels. I'm hoping to do well and I've been doing great in and out of the class in terms of the subjects. I will probably get either AAB or ABB. There is a chance I could do even better but it's early days. Btw are these subjects useful and good for getting a job?

I've got a problem though with my gcses. I got a D in gcse maths but I'm only going to apply for courses that don't involve maths. My other Gcses are ok which includes an A in history. If I do really well in my a levels will I be able to get into uni and decent ones at that. I've also had personal circumstances that have haulted progress throughout school. (This will be mentioned in my personal statement) I've always been told I have so much potential, I can do a lot of things that straight A student's cant sometimes. I've spoke to Leicester, queen Mary and York. All of which have said that it won't matter that I've got d in maths. They supposedly look at the overall grades acquired in GCSE'S and a levels. Has anyone had any similar experiences or worries, maybe have an answer, reply back. If achieve high grades at a level will that get me into uni? Thanks:smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by igotavoice
I'm currently studying history, politics, philosophy a levels. I'm hoping to do well and I've been doing great in and out of the class in terms of the subjects. I will probably get either AAB or ABB. There is a chance I could do even better but it's early days. Btw are these subjects useful and good for getting a job?

I've got a problem though with my gcses. I got a D in gcse maths but I'm only going to apply for courses that don't involve maths. My other Gcses are ok which includes an A in history. If I do really well in my a levels will I be able to get into uni and decent ones at that. I've also had personal circumstances that have haulted progress throughout school. (This will be mentioned in my personal statement) I've always been told I have so much potential, I can do a lot of things that straight A student's cant sometimes. I've spoke to Leicester, queen Mary and York. All of which have said that it won't matter that I've got d in maths. They supposedly look at the overall grades acquired in GCSE'S and a levels. Has anyone had any similar experiences or worries, maybe have an answer, reply back. If achieve high grades at a level will that get me into uni? Thanks:smile:

Applying for courses which "don't involve maths" is fine, but as you seem to be aware some universities would still require a C at GCSE even for subjects such as History e.g. UCL. However, the three you have mentioned all appear to be fine.

One warning: if you contact a university which normally requires C-grade Maths and they give you a special exemption then make sure you get that in writing rather than just verbally over the phone.
Don't mention your 'personal circumstances' in your ps. These go in your reference, where they might carry some weight.
Reply 3
Will definitely keep that in mind. Btw do you think studying ppl (politics, philosophy, law) at either Swansea or hull worthwhile. Do you think this degree is useful and respected. It's a fairly new course that is an alternative to ppe. Would it be better to study politics and international relations at queen Mary or law at York? Which seems the better option?
Reply 4
Original post by igotavoice
Will definitely keep that in mind. Btw do you think studying ppl (politics, philosophy, law) at either Swansea or hull worthwhile. Do you think this degree is useful and respected. It's a fairly new course that is an alternative to ppe. Would it be better to study politics and international relations at queen Mary or law at York? Which seems the better option?

Without wanting to say Hull and Swansea are crap, I'd say go to QMUL or York over those two. Do you know what you want to do in the future? Law would probably be the most helpful, but you've got to remember that applying for training contracts and whatnot is very competitive, and lots of emphasis is put on where you studied and what work experience you have. Take a look at the law forum to get some more info.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending