The Student Room Group

limit x->inf of (1+4/x)^2x

Hello,

lim (1+4/x)^2x when x approaches infinity.

I have a hard time solving this... :frown:

How do you rewrite this to be able to use L'Hopital's rule?

I get something like e^(2(1+4/x) , but it obviously won't work this way : |
(edited 10 years ago)
Can you work out what the limit of log((1+4/x)2x)log((1+4/x)^{2x}) is as x approaches infinity?
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by SmOgER
Hello,

Unparseable latex formula:

\displaystyle \lim_{x\to \infty} \left(1+\frac{4}{x}\right)^{2x} = \lim_{x\to\infty} \left(1+\frac{1}{\frac{1}{4} x}\right)^{\frac{1}{4} \cdot x \cdot 8} \overset{t = \frac{1}{4} x}= \lim_{t\to\infty} \left( \left(1 + \frac{1}{t}\right)^{t} \right) \right)^{8}

Now if limxaf(x)=L    limxa(f(x))n=Ln \lim_{x\to a} f(x) = L \implies \lim_{x\to a} \Big(f(x)\Big)^{n} = L^n
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Felix Felicis

\displaystyle \lim_{x\to \infty} \left(1+\frac{4}{x}\right)^{2x} = \lim_{x\to\infty} \left(1+\frac{1}{\frac{1}{4} x}\right)^{\frac{1}{4} \cdot x \cdot 8} \overset{t = \frac{1}{4} x}= \lim_{t\to\infty} \left( \left(1 + \frac{1}{t}\right)^{t} \right) \right)^{8}

Now if limxaf(x)=L    limxa(f(x))n=Ln \lim_{x\to a} f(x) = L \implies \lim_{x\to a} \Big(f(x)\Big)^{n} = L^n

I like this method. It's very fast if you are allowed to quote the value of limt(1+1/t)t lim_{t \rightarrow \infty} (1+1/t)^t

Smoger: If you aren't allowed to just quote it, then taking logs will allow you to derive it, as in my original post.
Reply 4

Now I should have mentioned it earlier, but the answer is e^8.

I lost you when you introduced t=1/4x

I can't quite understand how this worked out... : |
Reply 5
Original post by theOldBean
Can you work out what the limit of log((1+4/x)2x)log((1+4/x)^{2x}) is as x approaches infinity?

Hmm... I have never done examples like that. I can't see inf/inf so I could use L'Hopital's and I'am very much confused with that 2x...

I had lim x->0 (1-4x)^[1/x] example which would simply transform to e^ [(ln(1-4x)) / x], so I guessed I could rewrite this one as well in some similiar way
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by SmOgER
Hmm... I have never done examples like that. I can't see inf/inf so I could use L'Hopital's and I'am very much confused with this 2x.

Hint 1: You can use L'hopital when you get something tending to 0/0

Hint 2: Multiplying by 2x is the same as dividing by 1/(2x)
Reply 7
Original post by theOldBean

Hint 2: Multiplying by 2x is the same as dividing by 1/(2x)

:s-smilie:
We have 2x in power, right?
What to do with it?

At the moment I thin I will have to just memorize Felix Felicis method as a formula if I fail to understand it...
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 8
Ok I'am confused and I think I'am inventing bicycle now... But:

limx(1+1ax)c=limx(1+1ax)axb=eb[br][br][br][br]\displaystyle \lim_{x\to\infty} \left(1+\frac{1}{ax}\right)^{c} = \displaystyle \lim_{x\to\infty} \left(1+\frac{1}{ax}\right)^{a*x*b} = e^b[br][br][br][br]

Is this right?
Will it matter if we have + or - in brackets or whatever number?

Dunno if I'am allowed posting links, but all my knowledge on limits up until now was this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdSzruR5OeE (including 3 examples on the right)
but this one definitely won't fit into any of these.

Can anyone please explain what's going on? :biggrin:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by SmOgER
Now I should have mentioned it earlier, but the answer is e^8.

I lost you when you introduced t=1/4x

I can't quite understand how this worked out... : |

You can use substitution in limits, not dissimilar to how you've been using substitution in integration. The idea is essentially something like this: if you have continuous functions ff and gg and (provided the limit exists), then:
limxa(fg)(x)=limxg(a)f(x)=L\displaystyle \lim_{x\to a} (f \circ g) (x) = \lim_{x\to g(a)} f(x) = L

There are formal conditions for when you are allowed to use the substitution - I think gg has to be continuous at aa and ff has to be continuous at g(a)g(a).

IceKidd

Saw you quoted me. :ninja: It depends on how you define some things tbh - some people prefer to show that the limit converges and define that limit to be ee; others prefer to define exe^x by its power series and show that the limit is equal to e1e^1, others like to define lnx\ln{x} as the inverse of exe^x and show it like that, it depends what you take as the definition.

I think my favourite way to do it though is to define exe^x and lnx\ln x as inverses and consider the relative areas under the graph of f(x)=1/xf(x) = 1/x over [n,n+1], n>0[n,n+1], \ n > 0.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 10
then:
limxa(fg)(x)=limxg(a)f(x)=L\displaystyle \lim_{x\to a} (f \circ g) (x) = \lim_{x\to g(a)} f(x) = L

this is crazy LOL

Original post by SmOgER

limx(1+1ax)c=limx(1+1ax)axb=eb[br]\displaystyle \lim_{x\to\infty} \left(1+\frac{1}{ax}\right)^{c} = \displaystyle \lim_{x\to\infty} \left(1+\frac{1}{ax}\right)^{a*x*b} = e^b[br]

I'd love to have some comments on this formula and how it depends on what's inside the brackets (can we use it with any expression in brackets? what if ax is in numerator?)
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by SmOgER
this is crazy LOL

The notation may be a bit daunting/ difficult to get your head around at first. :tongue:

I'd love to have some comments on this formula and how it depends on what's inside the brackets (can we use it with any expression in brackets? what if ax is in numerator?)

Ok, so firstly we have:

limxa(fg)(x)=limxg(a)f(x)\displaystyle \lim_{x\to a} (f\circ g) (x) = \lim_{x\to g(a)} f(x)

There's a small mistake in your limit - if you want the general case, it should be:

limx(1+abx)cx\displaystyle \lim_{x\to\infty} \left(1 + \frac{a}{bx}\right)^{cx}

We can re-write it like so:

limx(1+1bax)cbaxab\displaystyle \lim_{x\to\infty} \left(1 + \frac{1}{\frac{b}{a} x}\right)^{c \cdot \frac{b}{a} x \cdot \frac{a}{b}}

Now, if we let g(x)=baxg(x) = \frac{b}{a} x and f(x)=(1+1x)acbxf(x) = \left(1 + \dfrac{1}{x}\right)^{\frac{ac}{b} x} then clearly (fg)(x)=(1+1bax)cx(f\circ g) (x) = \left(1 + \frac{1}{\frac{b}{a}x}\right)^{cx} which is the limit we're trying to evaluating.

So we proceed with the substitution t=bax:t = \frac{b}{a} x:

limx(1+1bax)abbaxc=t=baxlimt((1+1t)t)a/bc\displaystyle \lim_{x\to \infty} \left(1 + \frac{1}{\frac{b}{a} x}\right)^{\frac{a}{b} \cdot \frac{b}{a} x \cdot c} \overset{t=\frac{b}{a}x}= \lim_{t\to\infty} \left( \left(1 + \frac{1}{t}\right)^{t}\right)^{a/b \cdot c}
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by SmOgER
Hello,

IDEA 1: Having a 2x in the power is awkward. How can we make this go away? Well, if we are trying to prove that lim(f(x))=L, then it would suffice to prove that log(lim(f(x))=log(L).log(lim(f(x))=log(L). (This is justified since the logarithm function is one-to-one and continuous.)

Exercise: Why doesn't the same argument work with sin? That is, why wouldn't it be enough to prove that sin(lim(f(x))=sin(L)sin(lim(f(x))=sin(L) ?.

Happlily, taking logs gets rid of that pesky 2x power by moving it out of the exponent. Thus:

log((1+4/x)2x)=2xlog(1+(4/x)) log((1+4/x)^{2x})=2x log(1+(4/x))

IDEA 2: We want to use L'hopital to evaluate the limit. We cleverly spot that we can write
log((1+4/x)2x)=2log(1+(4/x))1/x log((1+4/x)^{2x})=\dfrac{2log(1+(4/x))}{1/x}

You should be able to do it now.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by SmOgER
Hello,

Thinking of it as [(1+4x)x]2[(1+\frac{4}{x})^x]^2
Since limx(1+4x)x=e4\lim_{x \to \infty}(1+\frac{4}{x})^x=e^4 it follows that the answer is (e4)2=e8(e^4)^2=e^8

Quick Reply

Latest