which a-level is better for primary teaching, english language or literature?

Watch
kiesha07
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi, i'm currently taking my GCSES and want to become a primary teacher by taking BA (Hons) in primary education at university. however, i am unsure whether to do primary or seconday so may want to become an english secondary teacher. because of this i dont know which a-levels to take. i am going to take history, psychology and biology but then which one is better for primary teaching, a-level english language or english literature? any advice, experience or opinions? many thanks
nic-nac
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
English literature is seen as a harder/better subject than language. E.L. is often on people's list of 'soft subjects' at a-level. History and biology are seen as strong subjects to take. Psychology less so, but it's not that bad and it is relevant/interesting.
Changing Skies
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by kiesha07)
Hi, i'm currently taking my GCSES and want to become a primary teacher by taking BA (Hons) in primary education at university. however, i am unsure whether to do primary or seconday so may want to become an english secondary teacher. because of this i dont know which a-levels to take. i am going to take history, psychology and biology but then which one is better for primary teaching, a-level english language or english literature? any advice, experience or opinions? many thanks
I'd say it probably doesn't matter too much and to choose whichever you enjoy most However, I'd say English Literature could be better suited as it goes well with History! I do Literature and I really enjoy it, and it does help with the analytical skills you use in History. And it doesn't matter too much, but Literature is also more respected than Language too. I would just go with the one you prefer, though

And nice subject combination I did History, Biology, English Literature and Chemistry..but I really wish I had done Psychology instead of Chemistry

Posted from TSR Mobile
Jwhitty150
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hi, I would definitely recommend you to study English Language for primary teaching... I am studying my A2s now. In English Lang A2 you study child language acquisition which i am sure would be extremely helpful with Primary teaching and it also helps you to be confident and tackle the core fundamentals of the English Language. Even though Oxford and Cambridge see the subject as being 'soft', i have found it an extremely interesting and also challenging course and studying it will in no way prevent you from going to top universities. I hope this is helpful
EmmaJane483
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I am also doing A2 English Language and I would definitely recommend taking this over lit! The course in the second year is directed around child acquisition and how children learn to speak which is perfect for teaching. Not only this but at Uni Interviews I have found that A LOT of the tasks are based around English Language and they ask you a lot about theorists which you would do in only English Language.
Shelly_x
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
For primary, English Language. For secondary, English Literature (purely because its an entry requirement for the majority of English courses!).
kiesha07
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
thank you so much to everyone for your amazing answers, they've been really useful and I've now picked English language
beautifulbigmacs
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Nice one. I agree with the pros that people have put forward for English language. The skills I learnt from that A level equipped me well for university essays. Enjoy
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With no certainty that exams next year wil take place, how does this make you feel?

More motivated (48)
24.62%
Less motivated (147)
75.38%

Watched Threads