The Student Room Group

Debenhams ...help please ?

Started debenhams on Monday and had no till training ,my manager said it's useless anyway ...and then she talked me threw what each buttons on the till do but I'm so confused with returns and people paying with vouchers ...I'm the only new started that got no till training ...I'm worrying can anyone give me any advice ?
Reply 1
Original post by Sarahlouisedon27
Started debenhams on Monday and had no till training ,my manager said it's useless anyway ...and then she talked me threw what each buttons on the till do but I'm so confused with returns and people paying with vouchers ...I'm the only new started that got no till training ...I'm worrying can anyone give me any advice ?

Don't stress, I've worked at Debenhams for over 3 years now and you will get used to the tills. To be honest the training that they give you in the first session just goes over your head, it might sound daunting but you learn much more about the tills from actually using them in real situations.
Just make sure you don't get left by yourself, always have a colleague with you so you can ask for help if you get stuck.

You should have had till training though so maybes you could ask your manager or a supervisor to go over some basic functions with you if its quiet on one of your shifts? It was in our contract that we had to have a till training session and we had paperwork to sign saying that we had it, it's an important part of your job and I think your manager should be doing more to help you with that.

Don't stress about returns either, I used to worry so much but now I couldn't care less. As long as the items aren't grubby/been worn/washed and they have a valid receipt you can return them. If in doubt double check with someone.
If they have no receipt and its a Debenhams item its an exchange only at current selling price. If its a branded item (eg babyliss hair curlers or an adidas top or something similar) and they don't have a receipt you can't accept it back cause they have no proof it was purchased in a debenhams store.
If a receipt is out of date its an exchange only.
Items reduced by 50% upwards are exchange only/money on gift card.

As for vouchers, there should be laminates behind the till point telling you what vouchers are accepted and how to process them, if in doubt always ask!

Any other problems or questions just let me know and I'll try to help you as best I can, dont stress though, you'll be fine :smile:
Thank you so much for your reply ...I feel a lot calmer after reading that ,hopefully I will pick it up soon
Reply 3
I started at debenhams last month, I couldn't go on the tills until after till training because I wasn't issued a till number, they only gave us till numbers after we'd signed paperwork saying we were till trained.
I've been using the tills for over 2 weeks now and I still get stuff wrong! Returns used really get me but now I'm quite confident with them and the rest of the staff are always happy to help whenever something goes wrong, they always rather you ask if you're unsure!

Slightly off topic but what's debenhams policy on hair colours? I cut off/removed/dyed over all my wonderful crazy colours (pink, teal and blue) when I started job searching and desperately what them back :frown: on my induction day there was a girl with blonde hair and a plum dip dye so it made me wonder if they were strict on hair colour. at my store they don't seem to bothered about tattoos my supervisor has a sizeable one on her wrist and doesn't attempt to hide it (she also has a few dreadlocks)
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Sarahroseb
I started at debenhams last month, I couldn't go on the tills until after till training because I wasn't issued a till number, they only gave us till numbers after we'd signed paperwork saying we were till trained.
I've been using the tills for over 2 weeks now and I still get stuff wrong! Returns used really get me but now I'm quite confident with them and the rest of the staff are always happy to help whenever something goes wrong, they always rather you ask if you're unsure!

Slightly off topic but what's debenhams policy on hair colours? I cut off/removed/dyed over all my wonderful crazy colours (pink, teal and blue) when I started job searching and desperately what them back :frown: on my induction day there was a girl with blonde hair and a plum dip dye so it made me wonder if they were strict on hair colour. at my store they don't seem to bothered about tattoos my supervisor has a sizeable one on her wrist and doesn't attempt to hide it (she also has a few dreadlocks)

The store that I work there's a girl there with blue hair and there's nobody mentioned anything to her ..I think they are quite laid back and I'm starting to think the only thing they care about is opening store accounts ..
Reply 5
Original post by Sarahlouisedon27
The store that I work there's a girl there with blue hair and there's nobody mentioned anything to her ..I think they are quite laid back and I'm starting to think the only thing they care about is opening store accounts ..

I think I'm going to go ahead and dye my hair I'm only an xmas temp and I always wear my hair up anyway.
Yeah my store is really focused on accounts as well I've managed to get one, most of the time I don't ask customers unless my manager or supervisor are around though :s-smilie:
Reply 6
Hi I got a job at debenhams and I have my induction on Monday... I can't remember the time the lady gave me on the phone, I'm sure it was 10-4 but I want to be sure it starts at 10, is it stupid to call and ask again about timings ? Or has anyone else had an induction with them ? This is for Xmas temp.
10 am, I have a induction on Wednesday :smile: x
Hey, I start at debenhams tomorrow and know nothing yet except that I work in the children's department. The woman said I would recieve and email telling me more but I haven't received anything and nothing from in the post either. Getting frustrated as I don't know what time I finish tomorrow or if there's anything I need to take with me like bank details etc. Any tips?

Quick Reply

Latest