The Student Room Group

Is Mathematics at Cambridge the hardest undergraduate degree in the world?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by PC2852
Maths is easy.

Yeah it's just like adding and stuff. Why anyone would do a degree in adding numbers together beats me

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 41
Original post by TurboCretin
An undergraduate degree that only accepts graduates? That sounds like cheating.

Anyway, by that logic you end up with the same degree as an undergraduate medic, meaning that 'graduate entry medicine' isn't a degree in its own right, but a stream.

It's more to widen access to medicine than anything else.

You get the same degree as an undergrad, you just take less time to do it: 4 years instead of 5 or 6.
Reply 42
Original post by Tuya
Apologies, I didn't make this very clear :colondollar:, IITs offer primarily Engineering disciplines, including Computer science and physics, some of which are very similar to maths.
I was just making the point that there are many unis (especially in Asian countries known for having high academic expectations, like China or India) that most of us in the west are unaware of - but certainly have harder working students than Cam' undergrads.

How do you know they work harder? Have any of them done maths at Cam + did an engineering degree at one of these said universities?
Reply 43
Original post by PC2852
Maths is easy.

Of course it is :colonhash:, not at Cambridge though :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 44
From what I gather if you get into Cambridge for maths you are considered "godly"

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 45
Original post by majmuh24
Try proving Fermat's Last Theorem and then come back here :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nevermind FLT, PC2852 would probably struggle to prove a basic result like a continuous function on a closed, bounded interval is bounded and attains its bounds :lol:
Reply 46
He's probably reading this now and thinking "What the hell is this guy on about":smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

So am I :ahee:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 47
Original post by Audi
From what I gather if you get into Cambridge for maths you are considered "godly"

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yep and the ones at Oxford are considered angels like Noble :rolleyes:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Forum User
I found Maths at Cam pretty tough, but then again I lost interest in Maths somewhere during the first year. My girlfriend has a Maths degree from MIT, and did a few classes across the river at Harvard, but she seems to know way less Maths than I do. So there is some anecdotal evidence in support of the proposition.

I can also confirm, in case it was in doubt, that Maths at Cambridge is much harder than Law at BPP (doing a second degree there currently)

What made you lose interest in Maths?
Reply 49
Original post by Lucy96
I respect anyone who does Maths at any university, if I'm honest.

Posted from TSR Mobile

A level maths is impressive to me :colondollar:
Reply 50
Original post by Arieisit
Yep and the ones at Oxford are considered angels like Noble :rolleyes:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm Chief Rabbi.
Reply 51
Original post by Arieisit
Oh I'm sorry, did you read an essay subject at uni? :colonhash:

Posted from TSR Mobile

No.

But I have an open mind, and I'm not ignorant. Are you good at maths? Does that validate your otherwise measly live?
Reply 52
Try proving Fermat's Last Theorem and then come back here :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Can you prove that? Otherwise pretty pointless to throw names around. Plus he was probably just yanking your chain anyhow.
Original post by StudiousMedic
Mathematics at Cambridge is widely considered to be one of the most challenging undergraduate degrees in the UK, if not the world. Of course, the matter is entirely subjective and relative to the individual but, do you think it would be fair to give it this title? Or can you think of more challenging courses, for example, Math 55, at Harvard? Although, that's not exactly a degree in itself.

Math 55 sounds INSANE and a good deal harder than the Cambridge course, though as you say, it's not a degree per se. Also its size in most years is about 20 or less, so extremely selective (apparently a few US Olympiad type people can't hack it), compared to the ~250 at Cambridge.

IIT isn't really comparable to any pure maths degree, though I'm prepared to believe they are harder than the engineering course at (say) Cambridge.
Reply 54
Original post by ClickItBack
Math 55 sounds INSANE and a good deal harder than the Cambridge course, though as you say, it's not a degree per se. Also its size in most years is about 20 or less, so extremely selective (apparently a few US Olympiad type people can't hack it), compared to the ~250 at Cambridge.

IIT isn't really comparable to any pure maths degree, though I'm prepared to believe they are harder than the engineering course at (say) Cambridge.

I swear we've been posting in the exact same threads for a good two weeks now :tongue:
Reply 55
Didn't say that I could, but Noble gave a pretty good example of a question, why dont you check that out :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Fairly certain at some point I have done that particular result. But the point was how can tell him to do something in a field he knows nothing of if not even you could do it who has knowledge of said field.
Original post by Noble.
I swear we've been posting in the exact same threads for a good two weeks now :tongue:

Yeah I've noticed that too. I also keep wanting to +rep your posts but it usually has me on a cooldown timer :smile:
Reply 57
Original post by StudiousMedic
Mathematics at Cambridge is widely considered to be one of the most challenging undergraduate degrees in the UK, if not the world. Of course, the matter is entirely subjective and relative to the individual but, do you think it would be fair to give it this title? Or can you think of more challenging courses, for example, Math 55, at Harvard? Although, that's not exactly a degree in itself.

Sup with this masochism on hard degrees? Harder does not mean better. :fyi:
Reply 58
Original post by alow
Yeah I agree that an accelerated medicine course probably has an insane amount of content, but there are probably more people who could complete it than Mathematics at Cambridge.

What makes you think that (apart from the fact that you obviously love Cambridge)?
Reply 59
Maths is a very hard degree in my opinion and while it was one of my favourite subjects at A-level, I didn't pick it as it's one of the worst in terms of effort put into degree versus future prospects.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending