The Student Room Group

It's hard to have a good diet in an Asian household. Agree or disagree?

Basically, just wanted to address the Asians(Pakistani, Indians e.t.c). Do you find it hard keep slim with the Asian foods you eat? For example, having Roti's every day and Rice, along with those salans including cooked potatoes, meat, vegetables e.t.c. How do you manage to eat this and stay slim? What else do you eat that has a positive benefit, and doesn't make you fat/unhealthy. Does your mum always cook the asian food everyday, and you are obliged to eat as the main part of your diet? Or do you eat other foods, which aren't Asian, but is cooked at home? Can you give an example of these foods?

Need tips on foods to eat that are healthy, as i've been starved of it in my life up till now. I usually always ate the foods described above and am starting to realise it is affecting my weight. How can i address this? It's all my mum ever cooks, apart from sometimes when i ask for boiled eggs or fish. But apart from that, i'm not educated about many other types of foods which are beneficial, and not detrimental. Any advice?
Reply 1
Original post by Sir Phillip Jones
Basically, just wanted to address the Asians(Pakistani, Indians e.t.c). Do you find it hard keep slim with the Asian foods you eat? For example, having Roti's every day and Rice, along with those salans including cooked potatoes, meat, vegetables e.t.c. How do you manage to eat this and stay slim? What else do you eat that has a positive benefit, and doesn't make you fat/unhealthy. Does your mum always cook the asian food everyday, and you are obliged to eat as the main part of your diet? Or do you eat other foods, which aren't Asian, but is cooked at home? Can you give an example of these foods?

Need tips on foods to eat that are healthy, as i've been starved of it in my life up till now. I usually always ate the foods described above and am starting to realise it is affecting my weight. How can i address this? It's all my mum ever cooks, apart from sometimes when i ask for boiled eggs or fish. But apart from that, i'm not educated about many other types of foods which are beneficial, and not detrimental. Any advice?

Why not ask your mum to cook more fish dishes........like prawn, etc
Or ask for some vegetable dishes or a combo of vegetable and fish, like Prawn and asparagus though I prefer my prawn and potato dishes.
Reply 2
If you want to lose weight, eat less.

Rice, rotis, meat, veg - sounds like a fairly balanced diet minus some healthy fats.
Reply 3
We're vegetarians and nobody in my family is fat.

Posted from TSR Mobile
You can still lose weight if you just eat less of the same things. If you have meals with vegetables, then ask for more of that part and less of the higher calorie part of the meal.
Yeah it can be hard but luckily for me, I'm not a fan of Indian food even though my mum cooks it everyday so tend not to eat it much. When I do eat it, I ask her to use less oil and also to switch to brown rice. I was in India last month and realised that everyone around me was so slim despite the fact that they eat full fat food cooked in ghee (butter) three times a day as well as milk straight from a cow with the cream on top. In this case it's not what you eat..it's how much of it you eat.
Reply 6
Hahaha you spoke my mind I have been thinking about this too!
We have Asian food like 3/4 days a week, only for dinner usually and the rest are foods like pasta and some Dutch food.
Eat less of each dish.
Bread, vegetables, meats - sounds quite fine.
Also, just switch to healthier alternatives like brown bread and rice.
I could kill for some stuffed paratha atm

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Hahaha, your diets are carbs galore. Great for bulking, sucks for a cut.
Reply 10
There's no help for you. You're doomed.

On a serious note, you can still keep a good diet with Asian food if you're selective about what you eat. Tandoori Chicken and grilled meat have very little impact, whilst others do. Choose wisely and you'll be fine
Reply 11
I grew up in an Asian family and had an Asian diet for 18 years, but I had the opposite problem - I was really skinny.

Since I am at university now and cook for myself, I realise the Asian diet is VERY unbalanced. I don't know why my mum was always telling me to eat lots of rice - it's pretty much ALL carbohydrates, very little of anything else.

I lift weights and so I take notice of what foods I need to eat to grow muscle and cut down on fat. Eating carbohydrates give you energy for muscles before exercise and the brain for study. If you have an excess of carbohydrates, it eventually gets converted to fat.

With an Asian diet, I found it very hard to get enough protein - they say an average adult needs 50g of protein a day, but I counted my calories and macronutrients for a few days when I was back at home and realised I barely got enough protein and calories every day.

I am not forced to eat my Asian diet when I'm back home for the holidays, my mum usually asks me what I want and I always tell her to cook more meat and less rice for me. I usually try to limit my intake of carbohydrates and fats, and try to eat as much protein as possible, but I lift weights and may be different to you.
I'd just like to have less rice tbh, it gets quite boring after a while lol.

Quick Reply

Latest