The Student Room Group

English, History or Politics degree?

Poll

Which course?

So it's a week before my college's internal UCAS application deadline, and my dilemma as towards which course to take rages on. The subjects of History, Politics and English are all options, and are also the current A-levels I am taking. In terms of passion and my interest in each one, the gap is very narrow:

(Please take into account my career path is uncertain, meaning the wider the prospects achievable from the degree the better)

History - C at AS level. Something I have enjoyed from a young age and was my original idea for university, very interesting but find essays repetitive and a career directly linked to History no longer appeals to me.

English - A at AS level. Academically my strongest subject by far, since high school it was the first subject I began to achieve A's in, and remained the only one I found such grades achievable at. My writing ability is quite good and eventually writing a book, play or script etc. is something which very much appeals to me. The downfalls however are that English degrees tend to require the highest grade boundaries of the options, and I'm worried about the work load attached to such a degree.

Politics - B at AS level. Until college my interest in Politics was non-existent, yet my passion for the subject has grown tremendously over the past year. Keeping track of current affairs and the process of how day to day life is maintained fascinates me and is something which is central to me as a person. However I have stagnated grade wise at a B and seem unable to achieve anything higher in the exam time. Also I have doubts towards where a degree in Politics would take me.

The nutshell (Pro/Con):

History - Best Degree/Lack of passion

Politics - Most interesting subject/Narrow graduate prospects

English - Strongest subject/Can't get the same level of university as other two subjects would allow.

(Interest in English not too far behind that of Politics)

My likely A-level grades: ABB, and probably an A in General Studies
Ideal university: Newcastle
Newcastle's entry requirements -

English AAB

Politics AAB w/General Studies

History AAB w/General Studies

So my plea to ye folk of The Student Room is for information as to the graduate prospects of each course, workload of each subject, and value of the degree itself. I know this is vague and I will get already received advice such as 'do what you enjoy' and 'no one can decide for you', but unfortunately if this advice was useful at all, I wouldn't still be in this situation right now. Please try to be as decisive as possible and consider all the information you can.

My advice is to wait until you know your own mind. Don't rely on others to make it up for you and don't be rushed by your school's deadline into making a rash and expensive decision. But that's probably not what you want to hear.
Reply 2
I voted English because it seems like that is the one you are most interested in and also the one you are best at and I think those are two of the most important criteria for choosing a degree. History's still better though :biggrin:
Reply 3
Similar comments to Carnationlilyrose really. It sounds like your unsure, so my advice would be don't rush it and try to decide everything in a week/ have to write a decent personal statement in a week. Instead, if you need to, skip it this year and apply next year. It will give you more time to consider your options and future - especially if you can get relevant work experience. If you are really set on applying this year - pick the subject you enjoy the most. You will be motivated and so do the best at it. All 3 are respected degrees, but if you want my advice - DON'T RUSH IT!
If I were you I would apply for combined honours arts degrees (probably English and History as the Politics units I think would be the least oversubscribed to pick up as your third subject) in Scotland - Aberdeen and I think Glasgow do the three subjects in first year model.

Quick Reply

Latest