Racism towards romanians in universities?

Watch
Gabriela8
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I recently started researching in depth the problem of british discrimination towards romanians and bulgarians, including reading posts on TSR. I noticed that people's opinions are much more mean and purely racist than I ever expected, a lot of them not knowing the difference between gypsies and Romanians or, even worse, generalising based on some examples of Romanians who've moved to the UK to pickpocket or benefit off the well maped British system. As a Romanian highshool student planning to go to uni in England starting 2014, it's really worrying for me, since I fear I will be left out or viewed badly just because of the bad reputation Romanians have. I am very sociable and a nice person and proud of my nationality. Will I encounter such problems? Are British aged 18-23 more accepting and do they welcome people of other nationalities? Thanks!

P.S. I mentioned British aged 18-23 because that's the predominant age in unis, but I'm also interested in older people's opinion and views.

Posted from TSR Mobile
wildrover
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
People don#t dislike Romanian and Bulgarians, we just want open door immigration with them. Britain is one of the least racist countries in the world, particularly among students so you should be fine.
John Stuart Mill
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
i'd have hoped the populace at uk universities were intelligent enough to realise how irrational racism is.
King Boo
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
You'll be fine. I've met people from Romania, Russia, Ukraine, Syria, Holland, Sweden and almost every other country you can think of. If you're coming to study in the UK chances are instead of being met with racism you'll be met with,
"Where are you from?"
"Romania"
"OMG THATS SO COOL! SAY SOMETHING IN ROMANIAN!!"

I haven't seen any form of racism in the students here. Theres a difference in the UK, the fact we don't want open door immigration which is coming in Jan 2014 can be misrepresented as racist. Its impossible to deny the implications that have come from open border of Poland, Britain (along with) sweden being the only country to allow it back in 05, and people are concerned about the amount of people who will come here in 2014 for fear of whats happening in paris with the pickpockets etcetcetc

In short, you'll be fine.
SaFa1237
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
You'll be fine! Don't worry, many of the universities here have loads of international students and racism is not a big problem with students. I've met people from all over the world and as a poster somewhere above has said, you will most likely be asked to say something in your native language. Normally how to swear, which is something I am guilty of!
Dima-Blackburn
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Well, I know a Romanian girl on my course, and she gets on with everyone just fine. Discussions about nationality rarely come up since we're always talking about work!
nic-nac
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
One of my housemates is Romanian and he's lovely. I haven't asked/he hasn't said about racism as it's probably a bit awkward. He's actually from the Transylvania part of Romania so we did joke about that a bit and he said that he does get vampire jokes, but I'm not sure if that counts as racist. He says how he doesn't like gypsies but didn't say if anyone had made ignorant, racist gypsy comments towards him because he's Romanian. I'm at Portsmouth uni and apparently its the British uni with the most/ highest % of, Romanians... I'm not quite sure why though. I have to agree with your comments on the threads on TSR about it, I was one of the posters pointing out how ignorant/racist people were being. I may have only met 2 Romanians, but it was probably 2 more than they have met. I think the south in general is more diverse and less racist than the north.
Origami Bullets
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Most of what you will hear about Romanians and Bulgarians is related to EU expansion and the recent opening of the UK to Romanian and Bulgarian migrants. The fears about the country being swamped have largely been stoked by the gutter press tabloids, which tend not to be read by the sort of person that has enough intelligence and education to go to university. Amongst the young and intelligent, racism isn't socially acceptable anyway.

I know a few Romanians and Bulgarians at uni. They've all got full social lives with plenty of British friends, and (though I can't say I've asked them), I don't think they've experienced any problems with racism.
techno-thriller
Report 7 years ago
I think he racism is towards those who just live in caravans and steal - not the students.

(Original post by nic-nac)
One of my housemates is Romanian and he's lovely.
Here we go again:rolleyes:
nic-nac
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by techno-thriller)

Here we go again:rolleyes:
I described him as 'lovely' not 'hot', not 'sexy', not 'fit',
Spoiler:
Show
Although they might apply to him as well
techno-thriller
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by nic-nac)
I described him as 'lovely' not 'hot', not 'sexy', not 'fit',
Spoiler:
Show
Although they might apply to him as well
I was only joking
Kutta
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
The minority of People here don't really dislike immigrants they dislike the immigration policy.

I doubt you would ever get any abuse or anything, if you do then take it up to the Uni and they will sort it out.

They are loads of Europeans at my Uni and most of them fit in just fine.
nic-nac
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by techno-thriller)
I was only joking
Me too ... Although I think I unintentionally ended up being quite flirty with him over the past couple of days, due to major sexual frustration. From his responses I could tell he saw that side of what I was saying, so ended up apologising to him, if he thought I was being flirty as I doubt he wants me to be flirty. He was cool with it though, he's mature and a laid back person and I think he realised I was getting a bit sexually frustrated.
The_Internet
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Have a look at this OP:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...ant-countries/

As a generalisation, it seems the West and Pakistan (which tbf was a British colony,and is not riddled with the caste issues that India has perhaps) are pretty tolerant of other races
The_Internet
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by SaFa1237)
You'll be fine! Don't worry, many of the universities here have loads of international students and racism is not a big problem with students. I've met people from all over the world and as a poster somewhere above has said, you will most likely be asked to say something in your native language. Normally how to swear, which is something I am guilty of!
You're international?
Timikji
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
The Romanians on my course seem to have not had any problems and have settled in well.
Alfissti
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by de_monies)
Have a look at this OP:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...ant-countries/

As a generalisation, it seems the West and Pakistan (which tbf was a British colony,and is not riddled with the caste issues that India has perhaps) are pretty tolerant of other races
Something must be wrong with this chart if it lists Singapore and Malaysia not being 40% Just sayin'

Granted newer homes in Singapore these days you won't even know who your neighbour is and it is perfectly acceptable to specify the race of a tenant you're looking for.
Iqbal007
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Gabriela8)
I recently started researching in depth the problem of british discrimination towards romanians and bulgarians, including reading posts on TSR. I noticed that people's opinions are much more mean and purely racist than I ever expected, a lot of them not knowing the difference between gypsies and Romanians or, even worse, generalising based on some examples of Romanians who've moved to the UK to pickpocket or benefit off the well maped British system. As a Romanian highshool student planning to go to uni in England starting 2014, it's really worrying for me, since I fear I will be left out or viewed badly just because of the bad reputation Romanians have. I am very sociable and a nice person and proud of my nationality. Will I encounter such problems? Are British aged 18-23 more accepting and do they welcome people of other nationalities? Thanks!

P.S. I mentioned British aged 18-23 because that's the predominant age in unis, but I'm also interested in older people's opinion and views.

Posted from TSR Mobile
You're clearly overthinking it............like seriously way out of proportion.
University students are not like the way you're thinking it out to be.
Maybe actually try to talk to someone if you know a Romanian currently at a university in the UK.
The_Internet
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Gabriela8)

Posted from TSR Mobile
We can throw graphs and figures at you but hopefully this might help you

If we go based on tsr then you'd think that a lot of people in the UK are racist and that they hate Muslims as well

In reality its only the same few people making the same sort of posts again and again

I mean there are enough Pakistani Muslims here who wouldn't consider the UK to be racist or discriminatory based on someone's religion

What you see on TSR is a vocal minority

Its like basing an opinion on YouTube comments

Posted from TSR Mobile
wildrover
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by de_monies)
We can throw graphs and figures at you but hopefully this might help you

If we go based on tsr then you'd think that a lot of people in the UK are racist and that they hate Muslims as well

In reality its only the same few people making the same sort of posts again and again

I mean there are enough Pakistani Muslims here who wouldn't consider the UK to be racist or discriminatory based on someone's religion

What you see on TSR is a vocal minority

Its like basing an opinion on YouTube comments

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's not racist to be against open door immigration.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (413)
56.42%
I don't have everything I need (319)
43.58%

Watched Threads