The Student Room Group

Commute between cities everyday?

I live in Birmingham and applied for Keele University (Astrophysics and Computer Science, I know an amazing combination.) I was wondering if it could be possbile to live at home while studying at Keele.

I am confused as I searched for universities in West Midlands and I found Keele. I love the choice of courses available but I want to live at home as I believe I might struggle alone. So I was wondering if anyone is facing a similiar issue or who may have overcome this issue to give me a feel to how it may be like having to commute between cities everyday. And if I can even do it.
If you got a car I don't think it is a problem, and also if train goes there its fine.. But you will just need to spend quite a lot of money on Fuel/Tickets..
Reply 2
It's about 50 miles apart? Probably feasible if you had a car and don't live too far off the main road. If you don't have to pay for room and board at home then this could be a real saving as long as your insurance doesn't cost you a bomb.
People do this for work all the time, but it's obviously different if you'll be doing it for university. Will you be able to afford the transport costs, and be able to motivate yourself to get up earlier than all your classmates just to get into uni?
I used to commute between Wakey and Bradford but that's only abouy 20 miles...
Reply 5
Bit of a long shot but you can check if Keele provide anything to help commuters, discounted season tickets, bursaries etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
I commute to university three times a week (4 times at the start of this year) about 50 miles away.
I get the train every morning and yes i do have to get up three hours early just to make it to my lectures on time. But to be honest i don't mind!
It depends entirely on your reasons for staying at home as to whether it is do-able, these are the reasons to keep you motivated at 6 oclock in the morning for a 9am lecture
I chose to stay at home due to expense of staying at uni and the ease of keeping my friends at home whilst making new ones!
If there are good transport links (eg train) then it does become easier. check out the train times before making your decision and how regular they are (it is a pain as mine come once and hour and in the mornings i have to change trains quite alot).
It does get tiring as well so dont think youll sit there on the train and do work.. well i thought i would and i havent!

Good luck whatever you decide to do and if you want any more advice just reply :smile:
Reply 7
Thanks for the help, I have eventually applied for West Midlands Universities, furthest being Derby. I am now still thinking whether or not to live home or away. But I narrowed it down to money or freedom. And am still deciding.
:biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending