The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Depends on the university, but you still have to pass :smile: It just means the marks from the first year wont effect your final mark.
Reply 2
I think it's true for most courses, you generally need 40%to pass, or at least that's what I've heard.
Reply 3
at the open day, the speaker said that there is a strong correlation between those who do well in the 1st year and those who do well overall... i know that he would say this to make people work hard in their first year, but there must be some truth in it... the 1st year are meant to teach you the basics of your degree program...
BUT doesn't nesaccerily mean it's a good idea to be a total slacker, or go in with the aim of just scraping a pass.
Second year will get a lot harder (apparently) and the skills you develop in your first year are essential to being able to do your best when it really does count.
Also, I've been told it's important to establish a good reputation for yourself, becasue the lecturer people will know who slacked and who worked hard, and be more willing to help the hard workers when the time comes..
Reply 5
If you are applying for jobs or training contracts in your second year (as many lawyers do), the employers/benefactors only have your first year's results as performance indicators.

Thus, even though on *some* courses your first year doesn't count towards your degree, it may actually turn out to be more important than the second year.
Reply 6
Depends on the uni and degree.
Reply 7
A small fraction I think.
Reply 8
Not on my course, but it depends.
Reply 9
On my course first year just needs to be a pass and doesn't count. Didn't stop me working as hard (until the end of the year when I wanted to give up) I'm hoping the extra reading I did will help next year.
Reply 10
It depends on the university and course, personally, it doesn't count for me but getting high marks is only ever going to be a good thing. I'm quite happy I did because I'll be able to get internships easier, for one, not to mention the monetary benefits.
Reply 11
I worked hard in my first year even though I knew it didn't count, as a result I got better lecturers in the second year and they would help me because they knew I could do well. Where they also knew the slackers were lazy and didn't help them so much.

Very few people on my course who did badly in the first year did well in the final year.
Reply 12
On my course apparently they group you by the mark you get in your first year for your group project in the second year and being as that counts for something like 4 out of your 6 second year modules I made sure I did well so i wouldnt get stuck with a bunch of lazy asses! But generally as long as you pass first year its ok, it doesnt affect your overall degree classification.
Reply 13
At a few unis your first year counts as 10% of your final classification - some of the UoL schools do this, and more and more unis seem to pick it up each year...
Reply 14
Although my first year didn't count, I worked hard and it made my life much easier in the second year when lecturers were assuming that knowledge, and everyone that didn't work hard were completely lost.

It's also very important if you intend on requiring a predicted classification at the end of your second year (for applying for medicine / dentistry / PhD / Masters etc). Your predicted classification is often based on your 1st and 2nd year results.

Besides all this, it looks very nice on your transcript :biggrin:
So basically, at most unis/courses, your first year in theory doesn't count, but we can all conclude it really does..
And I thought I was just going to be able to use the first year to ease myself into the new lifestyle!
Reply 16
coolworld37
Is this true?

unless you are at UCL. my friend tells me that 10% of the first yr went towards her degree. she is doing Chemistry.
Reply 17
andyj72
unless you are at UCL. my friend tells me that 10% of the first yr went towards her degree. she is doing Chemistry.

Its actually the same for a lot of colleges in the University of London :smile: , not just UCL in particular.
I want to ask the same question to all the Engineering students in UK.
In my uni it doesn't count towards your final mark - in some ways it takes some of the stress off your shoulders because 1st year has a lot to do with adapting to university life and the workload that you get.

BUT do not just slack off because you only need a 40% pass mark because I know that in my university they look more kindly on those in the 2nd and 3rd year who did well in 1st year. If you do rubbish in 2nd and 3rd they'll just think that's what your like. They will give you more help in 2nd and 3rd if they know you are capable and are more likely to nudge your grade up if you miss the next one by 1%.

Moral of the story - forget about the 40% pass mark and the 'oh well it doesn't count' factor - it doesn't pay off in the long run.

Latest

Trending

Trending