MSc Petroleum Geoscience at Imperial 2014/2015

Watch
JackOC_19
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I recently applied for the MSc Petroleum Geoscience 2014 intake, just wondering roughly when we are supposed to hear back and be offered a place/interview?
Zulu08
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hey, I applied for Petroleum Geophysics, I applied on the 17th November and 12 days later I got a conditional offer. Any anwser yet?
ImpColPetGeo
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Anybody know anything about waiting lists? My application says I'm on it, but haven't heard anything else. Not sure if it just hasn't been looked at yet. Can anyone give any advice about this from previous years?
PeGeo14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hi, I've also been put on the waiting list, not quite sure where that leaves us. They've invited me to the open day on the 14th, but it would definitely be useful to hear from someone with previous experience of this situation! Are you looking to get sponsored at all?
ImpColPetGeo
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Edit: Received my invitation the open day. (Finally!)

Have you had any other information about the waiting list (such as how close to the top you are?) All I know is from the Status section of the online tracking page. Have you got an interview time for the 14th?
PeGeo14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
No I'm in the dark too, all I know is from the Status section online. I haven't been given an interview time yet, have you? I don't know whether they just get handed out on the day or we're given advanced notice.
jjleo
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hi everyone. I've also applied to do MSc of Petroleum Geoscience at Imperial and I submitted my application on 03/01, with the final reference got accepted on 22/01. I'm actually quite surprised to know that they even have a waiting list status as my current status is Application currently under consideration by the Department.

I didn't get the invitation letter to attend the Open Day as I'm not a UK/EU national. However, I will still be attending the Open Day to get a better idea of what I'm going to expect from doing this course.
ImpColPetGeo
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I haven't got a time, no. I assumed the people with confirmed places already have an interview scheduled, but I haven't actually heard anything about this. Maybe it will just be on the day... Or maybe we don't get one?

jjleo: The status Appliation under consideration is what I saw initially. I guess they are overwhelmed with applicants, and you just need to wait out. Apply to the open day anyway - so they will be expecting you. I think the email address for it is on their webpage.
jjleo
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Cheers for the info. Just curious, when did you guys submit your application?
PeGeo14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I also had the application under consideration status too before the waiting list. I'm not sure about times, I thought I'd seen somewhere that we'll get told on the day but as you said it might just be if you've got a confirmed place. I guess we'll have to wait and see! I submitted my application just before Christmas, but I'm still waiting on an Industry reference.
Zulu08
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
You guys did anything to attend the open day or you just received a letter from the admission team telling you that you're invited?
ImpColPetGeo
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Nah, just received an email - bare in mind that I had just written asking about the status of my application before I was invited. I emailed the ladies who were the point of contact on the open day information poster.
PeGeo14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hi everyone, anyone heard any more about offers or the type of interview they're going to have?
engineer4
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hey,

This maybe slightly off topic. But I have applied for MSc Petroleum Engineering at Imperial. I received my offer at the end of January, with no interview request at all. Have you all applied elsewhere, or only at Imperial?
jjleo
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by PeGeo14)
Hi everyone, anyone heard any more about offers or the type of interview they're going to have?
Hello. I have been offered a place last week and now I just need to give them my original academic transcript and pay the deposit. G'd luck to you all
PeGeo14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by jjleo)
Hello. I have been offered a place last week and now I just need to give them my original academic transcript and pay the deposit. G'd luck to you all
Well done, hopefully we'll be joining you there! I've only applied to Imperial as I need to be in London next year.
roccoc
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hey all! I just received an invite to the MSc Petroleum Geoscience Open Day.

I applied at quite a late stage and was a little surprised at receiving an invite seeing as some folks are on a waiting list. Did those of you who received an invite also receive an MS excel student profile to fill out. No mention of specific interview time slots were made to me, so I guess they will be allocated on the day.

I'm a little nervous at the prospect of a 10-20 member industry panel interview!
TheRockMaster
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by roccoc)
Hey all! I just received an invite to the MSc Petroleum Geoscience Open Day.

I applied at quite a late stage and was a little surprised at receiving an invite seeing as some folks are on a waiting list. Did those of you who received an invite also receive an MS excel student profile to fill out. No mention of specific interview time slots were made to me, so I guess they will be allocated on the day.

I'm a little nervous at the prospect of a 10-20 member industry panel interview!
I got a reply on wednesday! Crazy, as I had to call before I actually knew I got one. Bit silly of them. Had a traumatic start as almost missed two trans, one didn't stop where I wanted etc haha. How did yours go??? I had an academic interview, a little quick though and not what I expected very basic q's tbh. Too many people, with so much experience. I think I talked to atleast 10 who have a yr in industry Probably saw you there! Don't fancy my chances though, like I said too many people.
roccoc
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Yeah, had pretty much the same experience as yourself.
Initially I had been hoping for an industry interview, but as you said yourself with so many applicants with years relevant work experience verses; my zero relevant work experience I hadn't a chance at getting anything other than a academic interview.

The interview itself, I think, went well enough. Although it flew by and yes I too was asked very little in the way of technical questions. I had brought in my thesis which (if I do say so myself!!) is a pretty decent piece of work. He seemed impressed by the topic of it being a UG thesis; (looking at Pb isotopic signatures in K-feldspar) and he asked if I was going to present it at any conferences etc. So that was positive.

However myself and another class mate in attendance reckon when you take out international student and those who got scholarships, we're looking at ~15 places on the MSc that about ~90 of us remaining candidates will be fighting over, so the odds of getting a place aren't too great!

TBH, before the open day I hadn't really considered Imperial as a running due to the financial cost of moving to and living in London, I'm from Ireland.
However, the whole presentation that the staff and past students of the MSc gave was really impressive and now I want in, typical!
nunno
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by engineer4)
Hey,

This maybe slightly off topic. But I have applied for MSc Petroleum Engineering at Imperial. I received my offer at the end of January, with no interview request at all. Have you all applied elsewhere, or only at Imperial?
Hey I've got offer for MSc Pet Eng at IC too. Probably will be your course mate this year =)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (41)
5.73%
Uncertainty around my education (82)
11.45%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (76)
10.61%
Lack of purpose or motivation (92)
12.85%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (38)
5.31%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (41)
5.73%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (77)
10.75%
Financial worries (46)
6.42%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (31)
4.33%
Exposure to negative news/social media (43)
6.01%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (24)
3.35%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (69)
9.64%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (56)
7.82%

Watched Threads