The Student Room Group

Emergency Funding ITT Course

Hi,

I'm currently studying for my PGCE and really struggling financially. I live with my parents in Leicester, however Uni is in Nottingham, I am on placement at the moment in Coventry and my next placement is in Derby!

My commute to Derby will be 70 miles daily and currently roadworks and traffic are a huge issue in the East Mids. Although I don't have an issue with getting up early I am very concerned with getting home late and having a horrific amount of work to do, so much so that I am considering temporarily renting a one bed flat with my boyfriend.

The issue of course is money. As a Design and Technology teacher I am unfortunately the only year that is not entitled to a bursary (it has been reinstated for next year!) and am 1 year below the threshold for being considered a mature student (I am 25 in January). Does anyone know how I can get emergency, interest free money, or will they even consider me if I am living at home at the moment? My parents cannot afford to help.

Desperate :frown:
Original post by LGOOD1
Hi,

I'm currently studying for my PGCE and really struggling financially. I live with my parents in Leicester, however Uni is in Nottingham, I am on placement at the moment in Coventry and my next placement is in Derby!

My commute to Derby will be 70 miles daily and currently roadworks and traffic are a huge issue in the East Mids. Although I don't have an issue with getting up early I am very concerned with getting home late and having a horrific amount of work to do, so much so that I am considering temporarily renting a one bed flat with my boyfriend.

The issue of course is money. As a Design and Technology teacher I am unfortunately the only year that is not entitled to a bursary (it has been reinstated for next year!) and am 1 year below the threshold for being considered a mature student (I am 25 in January). Does anyone know how I can get emergency, interest free money, or will they even consider me if I am living at home at the moment? My parents cannot afford to help.

Desperate :frown:

Do you not receive funding from student finance?
Reply 2
Student Finance should (subject to the usual eligibility checks) provide the same type of loans and grantsfor ITT courses as they do for undergraduate study. This is on top of any SF you had as an undergrad. It's not interest-free, but at least repayments are on the same terms as other SF.

Check here:
https://www.gov.uk/teacher-training-funding

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending