Turn on thread page Beta

Why do so many girls put their boyfriends before their friends? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    This is something I have noticed way too often. A girl is always happy to ditch their friends for their boyfriend, so in essence it can be said that they go by the 'dicks before chicks' rule. Why do a lot of girls prioritize their partners so much whereas guys want to get away from theirs?

(Original post by MancBoy)
    This is something I have noticed way too often. A girl is always happy to ditch their friends for their boyfriend, so in essence it can be said that they go by the 'dicks before chicks' rule. Why do a lot of girls prioritize their partners so much whereas guys want to get away from theirs?
    In my personal experience it's usually girls who are afraid of being single who do this, a few of my friends are/were like this: one is always wanting to go out or inviting people to hers for girls nights in, yet when she had a boyfriend she showed very little interest in me and her other friends. I'm currently in a LDR so this doesn't really apply to me anyway as I only see him twice a month, but even when I dated guys who lived locally to me I still met up with my friends.

ReputationRep:
    Because when you get into a new relationship thats all you think about...your boyfriend.

you wanna be with him 24/7 and never leave his side! sad but true

i dont agree with it at all. Because everything comes to an end, its just a waiting game, and your friends should always come first. You dont realise this until that 'boyfriend' just isnt there anymore

ReputationRep:
    Ha it's happened to me. The friendship was beginning to **** up anyway but they got with a guy they didn't like just because they liked the idea of love and someone doting on them. erm :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Cos us guys are ****ing fantastic.

ReputationRep:
    Why do a lot of girls prioritize their partners so much whereas guys want to get away from theirs?
    What a ridiculous generalisation.

If you're with a girl that you constantly want to get away from, you're with the wrong girl.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dopamine Dreams)
    What a ridiculous generalisation.

If you're with a girl that you constantly want to get away from, you're with the wrong girl.
    I wondered about this also, sounds like OP has had some stellar relationships!

ReputationRep:
    I think it's because they don't think their boyfriend will stick around forever but friends will, so they won't mind being ditched :/

Also, something that happens to me is I spend so much time with my friends and so little with my boyfriend, that I would probably choose him just because I see less of him :')

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jodiehay96)
    Because when you get into a new relationship thats all you think about...your boyfriend.

you wanna be with him 24/7 and never leave his side! sad but true

i dont agree with it at all. Because everything comes to an end, its just a waiting game, and your friends should always come first. You dont realise this until that 'boyfriend' just isnt there anymore
    I agree with the bold bit. i love it when girls do that. I grab my popcorn as I watch their relationship crash and burn.

ask them?

ReputationRep:
    I have a friend who is exactly like that. She went through the last couple of years asking advice, saying she's independent, meeting up with her girls, because "we always stick by her", and now she has a boyfriend, we don't speak to her because she's always too busy to meet up with us. I'll bet she's not too busy to see him 5 times a week. Now she's also very vague, so when we ask how things are, she's like "oh everything is fine, not much to say" even though before when she needed advice about a guy who was messing her around, she would send long texts and screen prints of what was said.

I think it's by girls who are more desperate for the attention than others, so they get excited and that euphoric, hormonal level because their one and only in love with boyfriend who they can't imagine life without, has spoken to them. I've seen girls ask to bring their other half to girly nights in and say they can't come to birthday's because they are seeing a film with the boyfriend (which they could see any other day) or be texting on the phone to them when they are having a one-on-one meal with you.

Then they break up with each other and say about how they are so happy their friends are always with them. :mad:

On the other side of the coin, one of my other friends said that if it does work, technically you would be sharing a life with them, getting married etc so the fact that you do spend so much time with them, is sort of justified considering you're (hopefully) spending your life with them in the future.

ReputationRep:
    I think there comes a point where it's natural to do so. At the beginning of my relationship I was 17, had a massively close knit group of friends and made a point to put my friends first. Now I'm coming up 21, in a serious relationship and all my old friendships from when I was 17 are nowhere near as strong as they used to be. Now if I had to decide who to put first, it would be my boyfriend. I've known my boyfriend longer than my university friends and I'm not as close to my old friends as I used to be. That's not to say I would cancel plans I'd made with friends for my boyfriend (unless it was an emergency obviously) but it does mean that if I had to chose who to go on holiday with it would be my boyfriend or if I had to choose who to spend New Years Eve with etc. I used to try massively hard to put my friends first and as soon as they got boyfriends, I realised that they were not going to extend the same courtesy to me. My boyfriend, however, has stuck by me and almost always puts me first.

ReputationRep:
    I do tend to put my boyfriend before my friends, but that's probably because I'm a lot closer to him than I am to them. If I had barely any spare time then spending time with him would be the last thing I would try and cut back on and he seems to be the same when it comes to seeing me.

However I do still try and spend time with my friends. I live with some of my closest friends at uni so it's easy to see them if I want to, and I often do things with my closest friends on the course too (or did more when one of them wasn't on her year abroad). In the holidays, I don't see my boyfriend that often so I tend to see my friends from home a lot then. Generally though, the friends I have that are in relationships tend to put their boyfriends (or girlfriends, in the case of one of my male friends) first so I'd take issue with them having a problem with me doing the same.

ReputationRep:
    Same it has happened to me. I told the truth about her boyfriend it was really cruel stuff I was telling her but the thing is it was all true and she called me pathetic for it bc I was telling the truth.

ReputationRep:
    A lot of my male friends always put their girlfriends before their friends so I don't really know what you're talking about here :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    thats something i would do

ReputationRep:
    Exactly, one of my friends is constantly putting her boyfriend before me and her other friends. When he swears at me and she listens, she does tell him to stop but he doesn't. And when he tells me to go away instead of her chasing me, she chases him which makes me sad and angry

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.