AS Level/A Level Economics hard? Watch

This discussion is closed.
jhendo
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by The Ace is Back)
Economics - not at all difficult. Most people start from scratch at A Level. The only thing about Economics is it's quite tricky in the first few weeks to get the hang of using economic terminology, but once you're past that hurdle it's one of the easiest subjects around. Not much to learn at all, all pretty commonsensical, and the exams are very lenient.
I found the complete opposite tbh. Found the AS very easy and had no trouble getting used to it despite nevver having studied economics before. Found 2887 easy but couldnt get my head around 2884 or 2888(the synnoptic paper) particularly well.

I only did computing to AS level but it should be quite easy if you have an interest. The AS coursework unit wasnt particulalry useful, but relatively long. Again though shouldnt be a problem if you are interested. I do hear however the A2 coursework is in much more depth and longer though.
stupanico
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I found Economics a very enjoyable subject which I had never studied before. It is quite easy as there's no maths in it at A level. I did the least work out of all my subjects Eng Lit, History and AS Politcs, in Economics. There's loads of revision resources too.

I would suggest you take it to AS level to see if you like it. It is very highly regarded by both universities and employers whatever you want to do.
Sync
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I've just finished A2 Economics and it's been brilliant - by far my favorite subject and once you get your head around the theory (which is mostly common sense) then you'll have no trouble. I put the least effort into Economics of all my subjects and get the best results.

Chemistry on the other hand...I was good at GCSE and got an 'A' at AS Level, but the jump up to A2 Level is huge. I've hated every second of Chemistry and found it mind-numbingly dull. With hindsight, there's no way i'd ever take it again....that's just my view though, so don't let it put you off....
jhendo
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Sync)
I've just finished A2 Economics and it's been brilliant - by far my favorite subject and once you get your head around the theory (which is mostly common sense) then you'll have no trouble. I put the least effort into Economics of all my subjects and get the best results.
Economics seems to be a bit like marmite...people eithher say it's very difficult or very easy. For me i put the most effort in but will probably end up with the lowest mark by quite a way.
arsenalfan.
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
(Original post by lapsaJ)
Read my post.
Hehe okay. What software do I use with computing, only visual basic?

(Original post by jhendo)
I found the complete opposite tbh. Found the AS very easy and had no trouble getting used to it despite nevver having studied economics before. Found 2887 easy but couldnt get my head around 2884 or 2888(the synnoptic paper) particularly well.

I only did computing to AS level but it should be quite easy if you have an interest. The AS coursework unit wasnt particulalry useful, but relatively long. Again though shouldnt be a problem if you are interested. I do hear however the A2 coursework is in much more depth and longer though.
Thanks!

What do I have to do for the coursework?

(Original post by Sync)

Chemistry on the other hand...I was good at GCSE and got an 'A' at AS Level, but the jump up to A2 Level is huge. I've hated every second of Chemistry and found it mind-numbingly dull. With hindsight, there's no way i'd ever take it again....that's just my view though, so don't let it put you off....
Ok thanks mate, is it just dull, or dull and hard?
lapsaJ
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by arsenalfan.)
Hehe okay. What software do I use with computing, only visual basic?
You can use any high level programming language I think, but out teacher wanted us all to use Visual Basic.
arsenalfan.
Rep:
?
ok thanks, can you tell me what visual basic is actually used for?
jhendo
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
What do I have to do for the coursework?
Well for the AS you get sent a sheet outlining a task. The one i did was called "Terry's Turkeys" :cool: Basically it was to create an order and managgement system for a farmer who runs a turkeyy farm. I did it all in VB but everyone else in my class did it all in access. Then when you have made it you have to write some documentation....including a "manual", testing etc... In the exam you have to answer geneeral questions based on your project and also hand in the documentation. They never actualy see your project.

The A2 coursework is more detailed. You get to chose a topic, my fried did one for the school's inventory. It has to invlove "data processing" and will also use Access, VB and SQL. You probably can use a different language but we had to use VB.

ok thanks, can you tell me what visual basic is actually used for?
VB is a general purpose language. But for this you are basically gona make the user interface, use VB/SQL to interact with an access database, use VB to manipulate data and then stick it back in the database
arsenalfan.
Rep:
?
Well for the AS you get sent a sheet outlining a task. The one i did was called "Terry's Turkeys" :cool: Basically it was to create an order and managgement system for a farmer who runs a turkeyy farm. I did it all in VB but everyone else in my class did it all in access. Then when you have made it you have to write some documentation....including a "manual", testing etc... In the exam you have to answer geneeral questions based on your project and also hand in the documentation. They never actualy see your project.

The A2 coursework is more detailed. You get to chose a topic, my fried did one for the school's inventory. It has to invlove "data processing" and will also use Access, VB and SQL. You probably can use a different language but we had to use VB.

VB is a general purpose language. But for this you are basically gona make the user interface, use VB/SQL to interact with an access database, use VB to manipulate data and then stick it back in the database
Thanks, it is very helpful.

What careers can i persue with computing?

what is the difference between computing and ICT?
Sync
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Ok thanks mate, is it just dull, or dull and hard?
I found it dull-hard. You just seem to end up learning the reactions of countless different compounds, yet these reactions seem to have absolutely no purpose. I think that me finding it so boring contributed to me finding it so hard; it's very hard for the brain to take in information it perceives as irrelevant!
jhendo
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by jokeroid)
One reason why I've decided not to take computing at A-level is because I don't want to unlearn anything should I wish to take it at university.
At university level, everyone learns Java and C++. The teaching at university will be much better than at sixth form.

isual Basic is pretty much crap. I personally find it so boring as all you do is mess around with forms and make rubbish windows interfaces. You might find yourself wasting two years learning boring material. You might find it a drag. (I would wait till university).

But that's just my current opinion.
Tbh i dont think learning vb is going to negatively affect learning other languages at uni. VB is pretty basic, and even though java and c++ are object orientated, basic constructs are similar, just different syntax.

And all you do in A level computing is mess around with forms. It's a more powerful language than you probably realise and is the most used language according to wiki
lapsaJ
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
And all you do in A level computing is mess around with forms.
Don't know about you but my project was pretty damn good. More code than anything.
jhendo
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Don't know about you but my project was pretty damn good. More code than anything.
Oops, i meant to say that messing around with forms is NOT all you do. Mine only had 3 or 4 forms but lots of code compared to others in my class as mine was all VB
jhendo
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Oops, i meant to say that messing around with forms is NOT all you do. Mine only had 3 or 4 forms but lots of code compared to others in my class as mine was all VB
futuredentist11
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Economics is VERY boring! there are so many graphs and terms to learn! its not worth it unless ur seriously considering taking it further than A Level
lapsaJ
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Aah ok. We just got the details on CPT6 today. Can't wait to dive in.
stupanico
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by shahraz1)
Economics is VERY boring! there are so many graphs and terms to learn! its not worth it unless ur seriously considering taking it further than A Level
We never had to do any graphs, just draw supply and demand diagrams. It is worth it for everyone. It's an extremely common sense and well respected subject. Most of the stuff in the big thick textbooks like anderton is irrelevant. It's a fun subject, where we had many debates and though module one is slightly boring it's easy.
arsenalfan.
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sync)
I found it dull-hard. You just seem to end up learning the reactions of countless different compounds, yet these reactions seem to have absolutely no purpose. I think that me finding it so boring contributed to me finding it so hard; it's very hard for the brain to take in information it perceives as irrelevant!
Yea lol, I see what you mean. I find Chem very boring also, but I am good at it LOL.

What careers can I persue with Chem?

BTW, the main reason why I also took it, is because my chem teacher in year 11 said that Chemistry is needed for all sorts of engineering degrees and is very impressive. Is that true?

(Original post by jokeroid)
One reason why I've decided not to take computing at A-level is because I don't want to unlearn anything should I wish to take it at university.
At university level, everyone learns Java and C++. The teaching at university will be much better than at sixth form.

isual Basic is pretty much crap. I personally find it so boring as all you do is mess around with forms and make rubbish windows interfaces. You might find yourself wasting two years learning boring material. You might find it a drag. (I would wait till university).

But that's just my current opinion.

As for economics. I would say its alright. I haven't done it yet but its business studies on a more wider scope which wikll be interesting hopefully.
Anyway, I chose it over politics because any political decision has an economical effect. And money makes the world go round

If you have an interest, you'll do well.
Ok thanks, I have an option of business studies, but many people say that it is a "lower" version of economics, so I am skipping it.

------------------------------

Thanks for all replies. Few questions

What careers can I persue with Computing?
Is the theory papers for computing easy/commen sense/hard?
jhendo
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Yea lol, I see what you mean. I find Chem very boring also, but I am good at it LOL.

BTW, the main reason why I also took it, is because my chem teacher in year 11 said that Chemistry is needed for all sorts of engineering degrees and is very impressive. Is that true?

Ok thanks, I have an option of business studies, but many people say that it is a "lower" version of economics, so I am skipping it.

Computing AS was fairly easy, but not really common sense, more logic. Can't comment on A2 as i dropped it
lapsaJ
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago

Universities look at Economics highly over BS.

You don't really need computing to do much at uni, if thats where you're heading...Probably just computer science. The theory is easy. Do past papers and you're fine.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    City and Collegiate Campus Undergraduate
    Sun, 3 Feb '19

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (388)
79.84%
Leave (98)
20.16%

Watched Threads