MostUncivilised
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
It seems that the Muslims of QMU are demanding the right to turn university spaces into a mosque on Fridays, and are now complaining that other SOCs are also demanding the right to use the spaces. What next, the call to prayer bellowing from the top of the Octagon? The fact that they want to desecrate this temple of learning by turning it into a shabby mosque is wholly characteristic of the pushy, aggressive nature of Islam.

It wasn't that long ago that Muslim extremists burst into a humanist event and started shouting threats that they would hunt down participants.

https://humanism.org.uk/2012/01/17/news-966/

And of course, Muslims demanding that free speech be curtailed per the LSE freshers week controversy.

http://www.independent.co.uk/student...s-8864618.html

Enough is enough. Muslims don't seem to realise that extreme religion is completely incompatible with scientific and social advancement; this is why we in the west are so far advanced compared to the Middle East. If they want to destroy freedom of speech and the secular nature of the public sphere, then we'll simply regress to the standards of Iran and Saudi Arabia.
mangamaan
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
what do you want us to do?
Ayesha1234
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
You're not generalising at all are you? :rolleyes:
Jooooshy
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
If they're requesting it, what's the problem?

You say demanding, but are they actually demanding the space? I can understand why there would be the fuss if they were protesting outside.. But otherwise, so what? They've asked to use the space to pray? Does it bother you in general that they pray?
MostUncivilised
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ayesha1234)
You're not generalising at all are you? :rolleyes:
No, I don't think I am. If pushy Christians were behaving in the same way, I would (and do) have the same objections. But they aren't. It's only the Muslims on the campuses of British universities who seem to be demanding that they be able to turn an institution of learning into a house of worship, and to have their own exclusive Muslim prayer rooms.
MostUncivilised
Rep:
?
(Original post by Jooooshy)

You say demanding, but are they actually demanding the space? I can understand why there would be the fuss if they were protesting outside.. But otherwise, so what? They've asked to use the space to pray? Does it bother you in general that they pray?
It's not just the praying as they can do that anywhere. This is about having sermons and mass group prayer rituals in university spaces. If Christians were demanding to turn the Octagon into a church on Sundays, I would have the same objection.

As it is, now that the university has said I-SOC and other SOCs can book it, they're complaining that they're not being accorded exclusive use and that other SOCs are "causing trouble".

Also, you're okay with a Muslim extremist bursting into a humanist event and shouting threats to "hunt down" the participants? And suppressing the free speech of LSE students?
Forum User
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Jooooshy)

One of the threads about this says that they are protesting outside - literally - by having prayers on the grass outside the venue in dispute. Note that's just hearsay on my part, I haven't been past QMUL in years.
GodAtum
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by MostUncivilised)
Also, you're okay with a Muslim extremist bursting into a humanist event and shouting threats to "hunt down" the participants? And suppressing the free speech of LSE students?
I wont mention what uni but I was at a scientific event where Muslims burst in. I got into a punch up with after they threatened to kill us.
CEKTOP
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
QMUL is a crap uni.

Posted from TSR Mobile
MostUncivilised
Rep:
?
(Original post by Forum User)
One of the threads about this says that they are protesting outside - literally - by having prayers on the grass outside the venue in dispute. Note that's just hearsay on my part, I haven't been past QMUL in years.
This is true, check out this article where they are praying outside on the grass, in the rain.

What a bunch of martyrs :rolleyes:

http://www.independent.co.uk/student...s-8918293.html
Jooooshy
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Forum User)
Ah, then that's unacceptable. The group of students have clearly indoctrinated each other into thinking that they are bigger than the university, and that they should decide when and how space is allocated..
MostUncivilised
Rep:
?
(Original post by GodAtum)
I wont mention what uni but I was at a scientific event where Muslims burst in. I got into a punch up with after they threatened to kill us.
Frightening. These people really are out of control.

One wonders why they come and study here if the ****** is so misguided?
Gjaykay
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
As it is, now that the university has said I-SOC and other SOCs can book it, they're complaining that they're not being accorded exclusive use and that other SOCs are "causing trouble"
Wow, what babies. Why don't the uni just tell 'em to go screw themselves?

Oh yeah, because saying something mean about Islam makes you worse than Chairman Mao.
Jooooshy
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I didn't mention anything about the LSE incident, yet you're going to blindly assume I'm completely okay with what happened..

Nice one :borat:
CJKay
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Christ, all this crap coming out of QMUL. I'm glad I rejected them lol.
gr8wizard10
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
If there's a vast majority of muslims, I don't see the problem with providing a prayer space. As congregational friday prayers are compulsury among muslim men in the religion. I don't see the aggresiveness in this protest, they're merely experssing the right to practice their religion.
sugar-n-spice
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
The university should just charge for people to hire out spare rooms (for any purpose which isn't illegal), if they want to do it, they can fund it themselves no problem.
MostUncivilised
Rep:
?
(Original post by Abdul-Karim)
If there's a vast majority of muslims, I don't see the problem with providing a prayer space. As congregational friday prayers are compulsury among muslim men in the religion
It's not the university's responsibility to provide a space for vast congregational religious rituals by hundreds of Muslim men just because their religion says it's a necessity. There are also nine mosques within about a kilometre. The fact that those mosque, the I-SOC claims, are overflowing is neither the university administration's fault nor problem.

They could also easily hire out a space at one of the nearby sports of leisure centres. But as has been pointed out before, this is not as so much about the space as it is about conquering a secular institution and marking territory.

I don't see the aggresiveness in this protest, they're merely experssing the right to practice their religion
And how much does the university have to do to accomodate religious beliefs? It's an educational institution, not a house of worship. If Muslim students don't like this, then maybe they're unsuited to higher education.
ChrisCoughlan
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Comparing Christians with Muslims is pointless. The Christian faiths are so watered down and barely exist in the UK anymore. I know plenty of people that are Christian and say they are but act nothing like one. Most Muslims take they're faith seriously and i believe there is nothing wrong with it. Didn't you assert you were worried about free speech.
Just because you do not understand something does not mean you should shoot it down.

Prayers on the grass? How revolting, you must have been instantly sick....

An extreme religion or extreme people?
MostUncivilised
Rep:
?
This expresses it perfectly

A spokesperson for QMUL said: "Space is limited and our priority is to provide lecture and seminar rooms for our 18,000 students. It is not feasible, nor within our educational remit, to make a permanent commitment to provide facilities for large congregational assemblies of 400-500 people.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about starting university this autumn?

Really excited (58)
21.8%
Excited but a bit nervous (122)
45.86%
Not bothered either way (34)
12.78%
I'm really nervous (52)
19.55%

Watched Threads