The Student Room Group

Want to "have it out" with a mate

Basically a while ago I cheated on my long term gf. It was the first and only mistake I made of this nature in seven plus years. It still haunts me. It was a one off, alcohol fuelled and a tad of naivety/curiosity on my part due to inexperience with any girl except my gf-it all came to ahead that night. Plus my gf wanted me "to be free" like other men though the thought hurt her. I confessed immediately and she could see my pain. NEVER AGAIN.

Problem is one of my mates is being a **** about it all. In a moment of drunkenness he learnt of this and has mentioned it once to me again, whilst drunk. Saying you let her down, oh im sorry it just came out e.t.c. He did this because he knows it causes me immense pain and was angry at the time with me. He knew he overstepped the mark but couldn't bring himself to apologise, started being extremely nice and has since.

Yet that comment really annoys me, makes me want to knock his lights out. Should I confront him? It may also stem from the fact he has never had a long term gf, secretly likes my gf a little too.

Scroll to see replies

Well, you were sort of a dick by cheating on her. I don't think assaulting your friend for pointing that out is going to help anything so I'd just let it go. But perhaps I'm just being ridiculous.
Reply 2
Original post by Jackal The
Well, you were sort of a dick by cheating on her. I don't think assaulting your friend for pointing that out is going to help anything so I'd just let it go. But perhaps I'm just being ridiculous.

It's not that. It's the fact it's none of his business, also I am sure he had an agenda by hurting me. The whole "telling me I am wrong" is no biggie because I know that myself.
Original post by Anonymous
It's not that. It's the fact it's none of his business, also I am sure he had an agenda by hurting me. The whole "telling me I am wrong" is no biggie because I know that myself.

He was angry and said something true but hurtful, probably regretted it the moment he said it. If he's being pleasant now then I'd just let it go, but if he does anything else to offend you then I'd suggest you just distance yourself from him as much as possible.
Reply 4
Basically a while ago I cheated on my long term gf. It was the first and only mistake I made of this nature in seven plus years. It still haunts me. It was a one off, alcohol fuelled and a tad of naivety/curiosity on my part due to inexperience with any girl except my gf-it all came to ahead that night. Plus my gf wanted me "to be free" like other men though the thought hurt her. I confessed immediately and she could see my pain. NEVER AGAIN.

Problem is one of my mates is being a **** about it all. In a moment of drunkenness he learnt of this and has mentioned it once to me again, whilst drunk. Saying you let her down, oh im sorry it just came out e.t.c. He did this because he knows it causes me immense pain and was angry at the time with me. He knew he overstepped the mark but couldn't bring himself to apologise, started being extremely nice and has since.

Yet that comment really annoys me, makes me want to knock his lights out. Should I confront him? It may also stem from the fact he has never had a long term gf, secretly likes my gf a little too.

Dicks get treated like dicks. Don't wanna get treated like a dick? Don't be a dick.
Reply 5
Original post by Jackal The
He was angry and said something true but hurtful, probably regretted it the moment he said it. If he's being pleasant now then I'd just let it go, but if he does anything else to offend you then I'd suggest you just distance yourself from him as much as possible.

Yeah, that's pretty much it. Tbh it cut deep though. He has tried to make amends since by being nice, immediately after he said, but an actual apology would have been good in regards to this.
Reply 6
He fancies you
Reply 7
Original post by Gjaykay
Dicks get treated like dicks. Don't wanna get treated like a dick? Don't be a dick.

It was a one off, ever. And I learnt my lesson.
He has tried to make amends since by being nice, immediately after he said

Then what the ****'s your problem?

Be thankful of his friendship and move the **** on :/

Seriously, what's wrong with TSR users these days?
Reply 9
Your friend regrets bringing it up by being friendly and nice since. And he's not brought it up again. Do you really need an apology?

If you go back to 'have it out' now it'll just show that your mistakes are praying on your mind. If it comes up again maybe have an argument there and then.
Reply 10
Original post by Prandtl
Your friend regrets bringing it up by being friendly and nice since. And he's not brought it up again. Do you really need an apology?

If you go back to 'have it out' now it'll just show that your mistakes are praying on your mind. If it comes up again maybe have an argument there and then.

Good point, you understand my problem. The mistake has been on my mind since and tbh I don't want to bring it up for this reason as he will know that I have been thinking about it. An apology would have been good but oh well. I did kind of tell him off at the time but yeah if he does mention it again in that tone I will be ready.
Reply 11
Original post by Dopamine Dreams
Then what the ****'s your problem?

Be thankful of his friendship and move the **** on :/

Seriously, what's wrong with TSR users these days?

As I said it is a highly sensitive issue-not one to use against someone. I would never stoop so low in a moment of anger against a good mate. Trust me, there was so much I could have said back that would have made him very depressed but I held back. Maybe I shouldn't have despite him immediately being nice. I did have a slight dig though.

Moral of the story is to not tell anyone anything.
Reply 12
It was a one off, ever. And I learnt my lesson.

So was his comment and it seems he's learnt his lesson.

Have you ever considered that this is how your girlfriend feels? She might not be talking about it but deepdown she probably wants to "have it out" or express how much it hurt her to you. She obviously likes you enough to let you sleep with another girl in order to stay with you.

Stop being a inconsiderate *******, the only reason you're upset at your friend still is because you KNOW what he said is true. Instead of being more of an ******* BE A MAN, accept you made mistake (NOT ALCOHOL, YOU), shower your girlfriend with ****, forgive your mate (you DID let her down) and move the hell on.

Your girlfriend deserves a lot better then some inconsiderate ******* that is "upset" that his mate called him out on the **** he's done. Trust me mate, I'd have called you A LOT worse.
Reply 13
He has never had a long term gf and he always mentions how the bad guys get the girls. (rubbish theory) He gave an example once of his distant friend who kept cheating and cheating and she would still take him back. For some reason, he takes this all very personally, kind of weird in itself, maybe reflects on his own issues. But in my case he was clearly using a "weakness of mine" against me to hurt me.
Reply 14
He has never had a long term gf and he always mentions how the bad guys get the girls. (rubbish theory) He gave an example once of his distant friend who kept cheating and cheating and she would still take him back. For some reason, he takes this all very personally, kind of weird in itself, maybe reflects on his own issues. But in my case he was clearly using a "weakness of mine" against me to hurt me.

We all do that in times of drunkeness and anger. Do what the rest of the world does and

GET THE **** OVER IT.
Reply 15
Original post by Knighted
So was his comment and it seems he's learnt his lesson.

Have you ever considered that this is how your girlfriend feels? She might not be talking about it but deepdown she probably wants to "have it out" or express how much it hurt her to you. She obviously likes you enough to let you sleep with another girl in order to stay with you.

Stop being a inconsiderate *******, the only reason you're upset at your friend still is because you KNOW what he said is true. Instead of being more of an ******* BE A MAN, accept you made mistake (NOT ALCOHOL, YOU), shower your girlfriend with ****, forgive your mate (you DID let her down) and move the hell on.

Your girlfriend deserves a lot better then some inconsiderate ******* that is "upset" that his mate called him out on the **** he's done. Trust me mate, I'd have called you A LOT worse.

:rolleyes:

As I said my girlfriend forgave me because of my misunderstanding in me sleeping around. Also she knew how cut up I was and still am. I let my princess down, the one I want to marry. It causes me unimaginable pain. I am not a cruel person. As I said lack of experience with others proved to be my weak point as I got into this relationship very early. Normally I resist but I gave in to this friend who is basically a slut.

I treat my gf well always and I think this was something I had to go through in order to grow up.

Strange as 3 of my friends regularly cheat on their gf and have no guilt feelings. They used to tease me for not doing the same due to guilt. It was definitely a painful thing therefore for me to go through.

As my said this mate had an agenda. Whether to annoy me, break my relationship e.t.c. He was being an idiot until he started to behave properly after. He even later goes does your gf know we may end up in a strip joint later to which I replied yeah, like i said no secrets.
Reply 16
knock him out lad
You sound like a women holding a massive grudge when everyone else has moved on. Just get over it.

What will it achieve? A pathetic fight? No don't confront him, it will only make you look stupider.

Tbh, I don't think you are actually angry with your friend. I think you're just angry and you want a target.
Reply 19
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vimZj8HW0Kg

Yeah, this'll get you pumped.

But he is in the right of course, don't make a victim of yourself. If she was my friend, and her boyfriend cheated on her... heh, i'd be the one in need of some LL Cool J.

Of course i'm a wimp so i'd get battered but meh.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending