The Student Room Group

Entry Requirement for Civil Engineering at UCL

I have emailed the UCL Civil Engineering department and they told me that the Entry Requirements are A*AA - AAA(contextual offer) at A Level plus at pass at a further subject at AS level (which is what it says on their website and on UCAS) but in three of your AS's you must have a grade A in them. So at AS you would need AAAE and your overall A Level grades must be A*AAe.

At AS I have achieved ABBD and I'm predicted A*AAd. So even if I get my predicted grades I won't be offered a place because I do not have 3 AS's at grade A? What if I retake some modules to get my B grades at AS up to A grades, how would I let them know through my UCAS application?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ELBOYZ
I have emailed the UCL Civil Engineering department and they told me that the Entry Requirements are A*AA - AAA(contextual offer) at A Level plus at pass at a further subject at AS level (which is what it says on their website and on UCAS) but in three of your AS's you must have a grade A in them. So at AS you would need AAAE and your overall A Level grades must be A*AAe.

At AS I have achieved ABBD and I'm predicted A*AAd. So even if I get my predicted grades I won't be offered a place because I do not have 3 AS's at grade A? What if I retake some modules to get my B grades at AS up to A grades, how would I let them know through my UCAS application?

I can't help on your direct question but the part in bold is interesting as I've never seen that before. Could you post exactly what they said in their email because by not stating that fact on their website they appear to be misleading applicants.
Reply 2
Original post by ageshallnot
I can't help on your direct question but the part in bold is interesting as I've never seen that before. Could you post exactly what they said in their email because by not stating that fact on their website they appear to be misleading applicants.

Yeah I found that weird too. This is what they sent me;

Thank you for your interest in UCL.

Our entrance requirements are:
A level Qualification:
Grades: A*AA - AAA
Subjects: Mathematics and Physics preferred.
AS Levels: A pass in a further subject at AS level or equivalent (total of 4 AS, 3 AS @ grade A, the 4th AS pass is acceptable).

Please note that you have to have 4 As and you have to have grade “A” in 3 As and the 4th As pass. Applicants who receive unconditional offers are those who have completed A level and have achieved the above grades.

Please let me know if your require any further information.
Original post by ELBOYZ
Yeah I found that weird too. This is what they sent me;

Thank you for your interest in UCL.

Our entrance requirements are:
A level Qualification:
Grades: A*AA - AAA
Subjects: Mathematics and Physics preferred.
AS Levels: A pass in a further subject at AS level or equivalent (total of 4 AS, 3 AS @ grade A, the 4th AS pass is acceptable).

Please note that you have to have 4 As and you have to have grade “A” in 3 As and the 4th As pass. Applicants who receive unconditional offers are those who have completed A level and have achieved the above grades.

Please let me know if your require any further information.

Hmmm, that is indeed what it says. I think UCL need chasing up on that one!!!
Reply 4
Hmmm, that is indeed what it says. I think UCL need chasing up on that one!!!

Say I was to apply with my ABBD at AS Level do you think they would give me an offer since I am being predicted A*AA?
Original post by ELBOYZ
Say I was to apply with my ABBD at AS Level do you think they would give me an offer since I am being predicted A*AA?

According to the email you quoted, no; according to the website, quite possibly.

That's why I might chase UCL up, because if it is the former they are inviting applications from people with NO chance of getting in.
Reply 6
According to the email you quoted, no; according to the website, quite possibly.

That's why I might chase UCL up, because if it is the former they are inviting applications from people with NO chance of getting in.

Yeah I guess you are right. Please tell me what you've learnt if you contact UCL.:wink:
Reply 7

Did you manage to contact them?
I completely forgot about this - sorry!
Original post by ELBOYZ
Did you manage to contact them?

I emailed them after you reminded me and eventually received a reply. They confirmed that they want AAA at AS plus another at any pass grade even though the requirements page makes no mention of this.

I am going on the attack over this issue, because they can't mess around with people's lives like this. I will let you know what happens...
Reply 10
I emailed them after you reminded me and eventually received a reply. They confirmed that they want AAA at AS plus another at any pass grade even though the requirements page makes no mention of this.

I am going on the attack over this issue, because they can't mess around with people's lives like this. I will let you know what happens...

Yeah thanks because I sent off my UCAS application and im predicted A*AA but I dont know if I should expect to recieve an offer. Thanks for your help by the way.
Sorry. But i got a offer from UCL for civil engineering and to clear up and confusion it states:

"GCE A Level grades A*AA in any order in any 3 of (the 4 subjects i had predicted grades for) plus a pass in a fourth AS Level."

btw has anyone applied to imperial? if so what was the recruitment day like? what do i need to prepare? C1 to 4. what do i need to know in physics, circuits/Newtonian?
Thanks in advance.
:smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by asdfghjk3456
Sorry. But i got a offer from UCL for civil engineering and to clear up and confusion it states:

"GCE A Level grades A*AA in any order in any 3 of (the 4 subjects i had predicted grades for) plus a pass in a fourth AS Level."

Congratulations. However, it doesn't clear up any confusion because your offer is different to those which ELBOYZ and I were told about. The department has stated that it wants AAA at AS level plus another pass. I suspect that you have those AS grades therefore the point is moot?
Reply 13
Original post by ELBOYZ

Rahh Im lucky I saw this when I did. I only applied to UCAS 2 days ago so i'll be able to change my choices which is what im gonna do with UCL seen as they require AAA at AS but i got AABBB. Thanks.
Congratulations. However, it doesn't clear up any confusion because your offer is different to those which ELBOYZ and I were told about. The department has stated that it wants AAA at AS level plus another pass. I suspect that you have those AS grades therefore the point is moot?

at AS level?
As far as I know, most people get a prediction of A*AA but they do take a few people with grades of AAA at A-level/predictions but not at AS level. They are talking about A-level grades AAA or A*AA not AS. I think they base the offers on the predictions not on what you have achieved at AS level.
Hope this helps.
at AS level?
As far as I know, most people get a prediction of A*AA but they do take a few people with grades of AAA at A-level/predictions but not at AS level. They are talking about A-level grades AAA or A*AA not AS. I think they base the offers on the predictions not on what you have achieved at AS level.
Hope this helps.

The whole point of this thread is an apparent requirement stated in an email from UCL to the OP about needing AAA at AS-level.

I am in the process of making UCL admit whether this is true (and the website is wrong) or whether it is false.
The whole point of this thread is an apparent requirement stated in an email from UCL to the OP about needing AAA at AS-level.

I am in the process of making UCL admit whether this is true (and the website is wrong) or whether it is false.

Yes, i understand.

I'm just saying it's most likely a typo/error. Or it may be a unconditional offer based on his AS achievement. UCL doesn't give unconditional offer based on AS grades, that's as far as i know.

The website also states AAA-A*AA. And i've got a A*AA offer. Thus, i think it's a typo/error.

By the way.... Why e-mail it's so long. Have you tried giving them a phone call. That tends to sort things out quicker. Although they might be on x-mas break, but some admission tutors still work through these holidays so it's worth a try.
Yes, i understand.

I'm just saying it's most likely a typo/error. Or it may be a unconditional offer based on his AS achievement. UCL doesn't give unconditional offer based on AS grades, that's as far as i know.

The website also states AAA-A*AA. And i've got a A*AA offer. Thus, i think it's a typo/error.

By the way.... Why e-mail it's so long. Have you tried giving them a phone call. That tends to sort things out quicker. Although they might be on x-mas break, but some admission tutors still work through these holidays so it's worth a try.

While I appreciate that you are trying to help, if you read the whole thread you will see that both I and the OP have received emails stating the AS requirement. If it is a typo, then it is one which has been repeated, several weeks apart.

I don't understand your comment about an unconditional offer - that has never been an issue.

As for 'why email?', the answer is that this is something which needs to be in writing. It is too serious to be something done over the phone. Long experience of dealing with large organisations has convinced me of this!

FWIW, I think that someone at UCL has made a mistake in interpreting the conditions, rather than making a typo.
While I appreciate that you are trying to help, if you read the whole thread you will see that both I and the OP have received emails stating the AS requirement. If it is a typo, then it is one which has been repeated, several weeks apart.

I don't understand your comment about an unconditional offer - that has never been an issue.

As for 'why email?', the answer is that this is something which needs to be in writing. It is too serious to be something done over the phone. Long experience of dealing with large organisations has convinced me of this!

FWIW, I think that someone at UCL has made a mistake in interpreting the conditions, rather than making a typo.

Yhh I agree. It's probably a interpreting error. Good luck with getting to the bottom of this one. It's probably a AAA, A-level offer. But who knows, best to ask and get a proper answer.
We finally appear to have closure on this issue. After a lot of wriggling around, the person at UCL who created the original confusion has admitted they made a mistake. The requirements are as stated on the website: A*AA-AAA at A-level, plus a fourth subject passed at AS. There is NO requirement to have A grades in three AS-levels.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending