Turn on thread page Beta

GCSE Additional maths, is there one? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/bsp/h...additional.stm

If so which exam board would this be with?

Do you think they mean the free standing maths qualification?

Thai:cool:

ReputationRep:
    What do you mean is there one? I did one this year CCEA board, if that's what your asking?

ReputationRep:
    I think that's the one with CCEA!

Becuase the FSMQ one is graded on the A-Level "scale" A,B,C,D,E,U

ReputationRep:
    Yep it's CCEA, and it REALLY helps your ordinary maths!!! For example, my maths teacher took Maths and Ad Maths when she went to school (shes a young teacher) and got an A* in her Maths and an A in her Ad Maths.

AND, when you do coursework, AQA anyway, people who do Ad Maths tend to get 8/8/8, wheras most people who do just Maths get around 6/6/6 - I got 6/6/6 in my first piece of c/w, and I was raging that we wern't allowed to take our investigation any further as we didnt do Ad Maths...

But in conclusion, Ad Maths is basically if your really really really good at maths and plan to do A-Level Maths. It also help with subjects like accountancy and banking etc.

ReputationRep:
    Is there alot of C1 stuff in there? Cos I sat C1 this year, not Additional Maths.

ReputationRep:
    There's an OCR Additional Maths Exam, graded on the A-level scale as someone said. It basically covers C1 and C2 (or most of them).

ReputationRep:
    I did CCEA Additional Maths last year and I flicked through a C1 books and most of the stuff matches - so it will be a good boost when I get started.

ReputationRep:
    C1 is alot easier than C2 apparently.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by R.J.A)
    Probably due to exponentials and logarithms (in C2).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by R.J.A)
    That is true, correct me if I am wrong but isn't C2 considered to be the hardest out of C1 - C4.

ReputationRep:
    That sounds really difficult... I'm avoiding all maths as it makes my brain ache :p:

ReputationRep:
    It's CCEA-I sat it this year.*fingers crossed*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x_mikeski_x)
    Yep it's CCEA, and it REALLY helps your ordinary maths!!! For example, my maths teacher took Maths and Ad Maths when she went to school (shes a young teacher) and got an A* in her Maths and an A in her Ad Maths.

AND, when you do coursework, AQA anyway, people who do Ad Maths tend to get 8/8/8, wheras most people who do just Maths get around 6/6/6 - I got 6/6/6 in my first piece of c/w, and I was raging that we wern't allowed to take our investigation any further as we didnt do Ad Maths...

But in conclusion, Ad Maths is basically if your really really really good at maths and plan to do A-Level Maths. It also help with subjects like accountancy and banking etc.
    Not really. I got 888 without doing Add maths... no doubt it helps, though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Excalibur)
    Not really. I got 888 without doing Add maths... no doubt it helps, though.
    Same. 888 in the algebra one - we did that in Yr10 and didn't start AddMaths until Easter this year...
    As for the statistics one - 777 :mad: Teacher says she picked a crappy one that limited us.

ReputationRep:
    I broke the bank with 888 in maths as well and I did Add. Maths in Year 10.

+ rep for anyone who figures out the reference.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cataclysm)
    I broke the bank with 888 in maths as well and I did Add. Maths in Year 10.

+ rep for anyone who figures out the reference.
    :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by calcium878)
    :confused:
    888 = famous

Why?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    additional mathematicz helps enormously when u come to do a levels. I did the course but couldn't manage doing the exam as well, coz i was doing it twice after school, so i was really pushing my luck too far with trying to do the exam too.
    C1 is the easiest in A level, and C4 is the hardes in A2. But then its coz of all the trig in C2 that makes C2 harder, and the integration in C4 as well as vectors that made C4 harder. It actually depends on what ur strengths are.

ReputationRep:
    Is there any applied maths in GCSE Additional? Or is it just a foundation for C1-C4?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    applied maths as in more into differentiation and stuff like that? then yeah, coz it kinda delves into further maths (a level), but its realy good for a base for C1-C4.

University open days

• University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Fri, 14 Dec '18
  • University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.