The Student Room Group

NVQ L4 or HNC (Electrical Eng)

Hello,
I am currently studying BTEC Level 3 and NVQ Level 3 in Electrical and electronic engineering. I work 4 days a week (in engineering) and in study 1 day a week.

I am wondering what course to take after I have finished my qualification, whether to do a NVQ L4 or a HNC. I am currently a field service engineer carrying out electrical and mechanical tasks (electrical bias) but would like to move into electrical engineering in a manufacturing environment rather than field service engineering.

Looking at most job posts, they are after HNC qualified people (so would probably do the next qualification in my current employment then seek further work), however I have read that NVQ Level 4 is equivalent to a HNC, do/would employers consider this an equivalent? I am probably more torn towards the NVQ L4 but dont want to do the NVQ L4 if employers want a HNC qualified person only.

Any advice on this?

Thanks,
Reply 1
anyone?
Reply 2
Original post by arson_fire
I think employers who know what it is would be fine with it. The big problem is brainless HR people who get told to find someone with an HNC so will just look for someone with an HNC (potentially getting filtered out by someone keyword-searching cvs)

IIWY I would do the HNC - its more recognised and you can upgrade it to an HND in the future if you wished.

HTH

This is exactly what I was thinking (still slightly torn towards the NVQ though, its a tough one as doing HNC I would lose a days work for at least 2 years and, i believe it costs more and even more work out of work hours).

I will have a further think anyway and seriously consider the HNC,
Thank-you
HNC into HND then onto full degree through credit.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending