The Student Room Group

What A levels should I take?

Hi everyone,
I'm in Year 11 at the time when I need to start seriously thinking about what A levels I should take.
I am currently predicted all As so I should be allowed to take the majority of A levels, as long as I achieve the grades in the summer.
I know that I definitely want to take: English literature, Psychology and History. However, I'm not sure whether to take Biology or Philosophy and Ethics?(Religious studies).
I think I would enjoy philosophy a lot more as I find it very interesting and I've never been a big fan of science, even if I did get a A in core, but the jump from GCSE to A level is huge anyway.
Also, would just one science even be useful by itself?
So, my questions are: Out of biology and philosophy what do you think I should take and why?
What subject goes better with my other choices?
And what subject opens more doors for me in the future?(combined with other subjects)

Sorry this question is long, thanks for the help:smile:
Reply 1
Your A Level choice really depends on what you want to do at University. Obviously do what you enjoy but just keep in mind what you want to do post 18 and make sure your A Levels are compatible :smile:
Original post by phoebecushion
Hi everyone,
I'm in Year 11 at the time when I need to start seriously thinking about what A levels I should take.
I am currently predicted all As so I should be allowed to take the majority of A levels, as long as I achieve the grades in the summer.
I know that I definitely want to take: English literature, Psychology and History. However, I'm not sure whether to take Biology or Philosophy and Ethics?(Religious studies).
I think I would enjoy philosophy a lot more as I find it very interesting and I've never been a big fan of science, even if I did get a A in core, but the jump from GCSE to A level is huge anyway.
Also, would just one science even be useful by itself?
So, my questions are: Out of biology and philosophy what do you think I should take and why?
What subject goes better with my other choices?
And what subject opens more doors for me in the future?(combined with other subjects)

Sorry this question is long, thanks for the help:smile:

Although Biology would compliment Psychology well, if you think you'd prefer Philosophy and Ethics, then I'd go with that :smile: If you enjoy a subject, you're more likely to work hard for it. Both are great subjects, so whichever you go for, you'll have a good set of A levels :biggrin: I do Biology, History and English Literature at A2, so if you have any questions, feel free to ask :h:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Im doing Biology AS atm and the step up is huge, its the second hardest AS level out there so really think about whether you find it interesting and are willing to put the work in, because it is very different to GCSE. From what you have said, I would choose Philosophy and Ethics because it goes well with your other options and you would probably enjoy it a lot more. Although, having said that I am doing Bio as my only Science and I am just about coping, although I think chemistry would help a lot, as there is a big section on biochemistry. Im also in the position where I am the only one in my class who is only doing one science so that's a bummer... But go with your gut feeling, and talk to your teachers at school and stuff because its a big decision! :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by phoebecushion
x

As said above, you've gotta relate it to what you want to do in the future, like uni, but it's also important that you enjoy it, as you'll be doing it for 2 years. When applying for uni, 90% of my courses required me to have done a science, but that's because I'm doing programming. Take a look at the things you want to do in the future and then you can check on the UCAS lists to see similar requirements.

They took away the UCAS list by subjects last year, but you can still use the search: http://search.ucas.com

Good luck.
Reply 5
Original post by Lucy96
Although Biology would compliment Psychology well, if you think you'd prefer Philosophy and Ethics, then I'd go with that :smile: If you enjoy a subject, you're more likely to work hard for it. Both are great subjects, so whichever you go for, you'll have a good set of A levels :biggrin: I do Biology, History and English Literature at A2, so if you have any questions, feel free to ask :h:

Posted from TSR Mobile

thanks for the help, can i ask how difficult you find biology, what you got and gcse in science and how much harder it is at a level?
Reply 6
do the one youd think youd enjoy more
Reply 7
Personally, I would say go for P&E. A/S and A Level biology is extremely difficult and I've heard that although P&E is not easy, it's not as hard as Biology (I obviously don't know, because I don't do either).

I did English lit, History, Maths and physics at AS and I do regret doing physics cause it was so difficult despite getting and A at GCSE, and it does affect my uni application, because to them, it says that I'm predicted As in English lit, Maths and History but I only got a C in my AS subject despite the fact that it has nothing to do with history, which I want to study at uni.

Also, the essay writing in P&E will benefit your other subjects better than Biology, but it really does depend on what you want to do after A Levels. If you think you will prefer P&E, do that, because you'll nearly always do better in the subject that you actually enjoy more.

Hope that's helpful!
Reply 8
Also, the essay writing in P&E will benefit your other subjects better than Biology, but it really does depend on what you want to do after A Levels. If you think you will prefer P&E, do that, because you'll nearly always do better in the subject that you actually enjoy more.

Hope that's helpful!
okay i probably will do P&E now, thanks for the help!:smile:
Original post by Changing Skies

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi, you mentioned that you do biology along with history and literature for your A2 levels, and those are probably what I'll be doing and I just wanted to ask you what it's like taking biology without the other sciences:colondollar: Thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest