The Student Room Group

Migrant worker status - student that have this or are applying helpppp!!!!!

I apologise in advance for the long text

Hello I'm EU national and I'm working part time and studying full time . If been emailing sfe EU team because I wanted to apply for help with my living costs.
The first time they ask me for my work contract and my wage slips .also I had to confirm that was in the uk on the first day of my academic year. But after this I never had a concrete answer if I will be able to get help or not .
This week I got this email from the eu team :
"We can therefore accept you as a Migrant Worker for the third and finalterm of the 2012/13 academic year. We have cancelled and deleted your EU
application and your account has been transferred to be accepted as a migrant worker. They also asked me to fill out and send Pff2. From my mother and her financial evidence Pr1 and eu13n and my p60 and wages slips from 3months.

i want to ask if My application is going to be based on my income and my mother?
How many hours / income a migrant worker need to have/do to qualify for help in form is manteinance loan?
What happened to the information to the aplication that I had Before , since it was said that my aplication was deleted? What about my tuition fee?
Also some of the forms that is being asked now I also sent that before? All this means I'm doing everything from the begging?
last question what qualify for the migrant worker status?( number of hours , income, etc)
What u guys looking for to be approved for a migrant worker ?
I really need to have this help , this is why im asking
Reply 1
i want to ask if My application is going to be based on my income and my mother?

If you're under 25 it will be based on your mothers income how much help you get.

How many hours / income a migrant worker need to have/do to qualify for help in form is manteinance loan?

They won't tell you. From reading up there's no clear guideline. Past cases have shown that if for instance you lose your job (through no fault of your own) or have weeks off due to illness you're still considered a migrant worker, but they probably don't want us to know that..

What happened to the information to the aplication that I had Before , since it was said that my aplication was deleted? What about my tuition fee?

Tuitions fees won't be paid until the whole application has been assessed as far as I'm aware. I don't know about the previous question, you could ring them on their 0141 number to find out, cheaper.

It really does feel like advisors try to discourage people from applying as a migrant worker. Most of them that I have spoken to have no knowledge of the migrant worker application process. Another advisor informed my that my application would be decided on the basis of whether they thought I had come to the UK 2 years ago to work or study (which makes no sense as you can lose or gain migrant worker status at any time thoughout your course.
Sorry to hijack your thread, but I take it as you didn't actually start working until after you began your studies?! I thought it was only possible to get migrant worker status if you originally came to the UK to work, not to study.

I'm an EU national as well, will I be able to get migrant worker status if I begin my studies in September, get a job and then apply for the migrant worker status a few months later?
Reply 3
Hi

From my own experience, you will be able to get Migrant Worker Status and be eligible for full Student Finance as long as you start work before going to uni and continue working while you are studying.

It does not have to be a full time job.

In my case, I have actually been in the UK for 8 months prior to starting university and worked for most of that period.
Reply 4
Hello,

I'm in my 3rd year of uni - placement year and my application for migrant worker has been rejected. my placement job doesn't count as a job therefore I wasn't eligible for the status. So I got a part-time job to work over the weekends, sent all my information through and my application was rejected again because my salary was too little to be eligible for the status. I don't understand why, because last year I got a full support working part time, similar hours and similar wage. I don't think is fair especially because placement work doesn't count! I'm so disappointed with the whole process. Why doesn't placement work count as a proper job I'm working I'm earning and I'm putting something in the economy.

I was therefore advise to re-apply as a EU student finance to get my tuition paid. And I'm waiting what they say.

Is there anyone in a similar situation? Will I be able to apply for a migrant worker status next year when get back to uni and I will really need the maintenance loan? Do you know what salary bracket I need to be in to be eligible for the status?

Please help!
Many thanks!
Bea
Reply 5
Hi, sorry to hear your application has been rejected. I'm self-employed so in a different situation. I have noticed a question on this uear's application form regarding the type of work you doing. It looks like they have changed the rules and the work cannot be weekends amd evenings only to be considered as a Migrant Worker. Maybe try to talk to your employer so they could give you some day hours as well. With regards to the wages, I don't think there is any minimum requirement. Saying that, my earnings have always been at least 5K a year... (ps. I'm currently doing a diploma course which qualifies for SFE continuous funding, so I have quite a few years of experience with Migrant Workers applications).
Reply 6
I thought migrants only had to have a visa to be considered equal to a native applicant...
Please check thread dates before posting.

Latest