The UK government planned to slash taxes for shale gas companies are deadly threat...

Watch
Pierly
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
The UK government planned to slash taxes for shale gas companies are deadly threat to the local farmers.
I guess you are already in the know British pols plan tax breaks for fracking companies to stimulate shale gas investment boom in Great Britain. The tax rate on production income is to be cut to 30% while the typical rate for most oil and gas companies now is 62%!
I see this as just a plot to undermine British farmers! According to the British laws they don't possess the undersoil natural resources. What if some rich shale gas fields will be discovered in their lands? What sort of compensations are they going to be paid by the government, I wonder? I've heard not a word about it so far!
Then, ecology experts point to the fact that American hydraulic fracking technique (injecting water, sand and chemicals deep into the ground) is much unfriendly ecologically for it can pollute water and trigger earthquakes! Still British officials keep asserting its low risk to public health.
But I know that in South Wales where my British buddy John is a farmer the exploratory gas drilling in three locations lead to earth tremors. The cows were so scared that they wouldn't milk for 2 days! And on other farms they registered the chemical changes in drinking water! All this resulted in the Cardiff street protests. But British officials are keeping their lips sealed about it!
I'm afraid that in this country France we may soon face this same shale gas boom too. France and other European countries may just follow the British lead sooner or later! I mean those recent shale gas initiatives of the UK government is a challenge for all EU farmers!
uberteknik
  • Study Helper
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
According to The Times, fracking is banned in France.

So French energy companies are falling over themselves to cash in on any potential British bonanza.

Personally, I dont have an issue with fracking provided:

a) It is proven categorically safe and any persons (ministers, corporate directors, senior managers etc) claiming it is safe, can and will be held fully accountable and responsible with very stiff jail terms and confiscation of personal assets and wealth if this is proven not true. This includes land slip, sink-holes, water table contamination, poisoning etc.

b) That the extracted gas belongs to the British public alone and therefore cannot be sold to the highest bidder on the international markets for the maximum profit of a select few shareholders. Profit is for the British taxpayers and citizens who, let's face it, are the ones who will take all the risk and face the consequences and be forced to bail out corporations through tax if it all goes belly up.

c) That first and foremost, the extracted gas is used for the maximum benefit of the British public to reduce household energy costs.

d) That foreign companies can invest in infrastructure only and cannot be allowed to make profit from the sale of a British national assett.
MatureStudent36
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Pierly)
The UK government planned to slash taxes for shale gas companies are deadly threat to the local farmers.
I guess you are already in the know British pols plan tax breaks for fracking companies to stimulate shale gas investment boom in Great Britain. The tax rate on production income is to be cut to 30% while the typical rate for most oil and gas companies now is 62%!
I see this as just a plot to undermine British farmers! According to the British laws they don't possess the undersoil natural resources. What if some rich shale gas fields will be discovered in their lands? What sort of compensations are they going to be paid by the government, I wonder? I've heard not a word about it so far!
Then, ecology experts point to the fact that American hydraulic fracking technique (injecting water, sand and chemicals deep into the ground) is much unfriendly ecologically for it can pollute water and trigger earthquakes! Still British officials keep asserting its low risk to public health.
But I know that in South Wales where my British buddy John is a farmer the exploratory gas drilling in three locations lead to earth tremors. The cows were so scared that they wouldn't milk for 2 days! And on other farms they registered the chemical changes in drinking water! All this resulted in the Cardiff street protests. But British officials are keeping their lips sealed about it!
I'm afraid that in this country France we may soon face this same shale gas boom too. France and other European countries may just follow the British lead sooner or later! I mean those recent shale gas initiatives of the UK government is a challenge for all EU farmers!
Unless farmer Giles's farming activities go down greater than 1km then I doubt it'll have any impact. A lot of the claims if ecological damage in the US have been found to be spurious at best. The green lobby don't like carbon based fuels so like to use fear tactics to scare people.

The earth tremors you're talking about are over inflated. Cows scare easily and operating machinery nearby of any kind including tractors care them.

i suppose they could claim the rights to any shale gas found under their land, but as the taxpayer has been subsidising farmers for several decades I claim it as quite far to recoup those lucrative farming subsidies they've had. So we'll leave it and call it evens.

are you one of these environmental lobbyists who come on line and make stuff up? Or are you generally advocating an increase in fuel prices?
Quady
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Pierly)
They should have bought the mineral rights then...?

Farmers can make a claim against the company for damages for loss of earnings.

It doesn't matter much if there is a chemiscal change in drinking water as long as the water is still safe to drink (I bet its just pH).

As far as I know the UK doesn't have a fraking boom yet...
MatureStudent36
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
It looks like we'll see some cracking in the future.

Hopefully our economy will benefit just as the Americans have.

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/business-25420552
Smack
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by MatureStudent36)
It looks like we'll see some cracking in the future.

Hopefully our economy will benefit just as the Americans have.

http://bbc.co.uk/news/business-25420552
It's important to note that what is happening here is that the government is considering adding additional areas to the next licensing round, where oil companies will be able to bid for rights to explore for hydrocarbons in certain areas (often called "blocks"). There is no guarantee that companies will actually bid for them, and that if they do, that they will then produce gas from them.

Being in oil myself I can't say I have actually noticed any interest in shale gas in the UK to be honest... the only place I see it being mentioned is in the Telegraph newspaper. Even the best case scenario mentioned in the report of just under 3000 wells being drilled, that's still only a fraction of how many are drilled each year in America.

What I'm saying is, don't count your chickens until they're hatched.
MatureStudent36
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Smack)
It's important to note that what is happening here is that the government is considering adding additional areas to the next licensing round, where oil companies will be able to bid for rights to explore for hydrocarbons in certain areas (often called "blocks"). There is no guarantee that companies will actually bid for them, and that if they do, that they will then produce gas from them.

Being in oil myself I can't say I have actually noticed any interest in shale gas in the UK to be honest... the only place I see it being mentioned is in the Telegraph newspaper. Even the best case scenario mentioned in the report of just under 3000 wells being drilled, that's still only a fraction of how many are drilled each year in America.

What I'm saying is, don't count your chickens until they're hatched.
There's little interest in shake at the moment as we're not that good at onshore shale has extraction at the moment as its still relatively new in the UK.

The yanks have been doing it for quite a bit and not only have for all of the relevant surveys that we haven't yet, but also have a very advanced supply chain to support it.

Give it time and we'll see some
Movement on it. An expert on radio 4 the other morning was saying 2020 at the earliest. I bet some UK based oil and has company's are already doing some ground work as part of future strategies.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (288)
55.81%
I don't have everything I need (228)
44.19%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise