Turn on thread page Beta

Ian Watkins pleads guilty to a string of sex offences (UPDATE: 35 years in prison) watch

ReputationRep:
    Former Lostprophets frontman Ian Watkins has admitted a string of sex offences, including two charges of attempting to rape a baby.The singer made a series of admissions in a last-minute change of plea ahead of what would have been his trial at Cardiff Crown Court.
    Watkins, 36, from Pontypridd, south Wales, insisted he has no memory of what would have been key video evidence at the trial showing the abuse of his one-year-old victim, the court heard.
    The tattooed singer pleaded guilty to a string of sex offences he had previously denied.
    The charges included sexually touching a one-year-old and encouraging a fan to abuse her own child during a sordid webcam chat.
    Watkins also admitted possessing and making child sexual images as well as being behind the plot to rape a baby.
    The disgraced rocker was originally charged with actual rape but insisted sex with the child did not take place during the drug-fuelled binge he said he was on at the time.
    Watkins originally faced 24 separate charges - all sex offence related.
    He pleaded guilty to 11 charges today, nine of which were unchanged and two of attempted baby rape, as opposed to rape.
    Prosecutor Christopher Clee QC told the judge that both of the attempted rape admissions were accepted.
    He acknowledged that there was an argument regarding what key video evidence seized from Watkins's laptop actually showed.
    "From the footage, there is an argument as to whether the full offence is made out," he told judge Mr Justice Royce.
    "If it is made out, it is minimal. There is so little difference between the full attempt and the attempt as to make no difference.
    "We are prepared to accept the pleas as tendered."
    He also told the judge that the prosecution had in mind the effect on the jury of watching the explicit video footage.
    Previous hearings discussed arranging counselling for jurors who might need it.
    Watkins will be sentenced on December 18.

Story: http://news.sky.com/story/1173936/lo...-rape-attempts

Apologies for wonky formatting. That's what happens when you copy and paste.

Big news, I have to say. Bet the people that defended him earlier are feeling pretty sick right about now...

*UPDATED*: Peaches Geldof may face criminal investigation after revealing the names of the mothers of the abused babies (
    http://news.sky.com/story/1175068/pe...ns-tweet-probe)

*UPDATED*: Ian Watkins gets 35 years in prison. (http://news.sky.com/story/1184152/ia...r-sex-offences)

ReputationRep:
    I have been following the live feed for this. It is so bad. So, so bad. Its literally the worse thing he could ever have done. I am feeling incredibly sick. I was admittedly hoping that it would drag out and that it was all going to be a really bad mistake. Its so bad.

He is going to be sent down for a long time.

ReputationRep:
    **** me, he's a spawn of Satan

ReputationRep:
    Truly unbelievable that he got away with it for so long

ReputationRep:
    I was never really a fan of their music but someone just posted this video on facebook and it made me feel sick.

some of the details are just so disgusting, even encouraging a fan to molest her child :/

ReputationRep:
    For He's a Jolly Good Felon

Burn Burn

Goodbye Tonight

It's not the End of the World but I can see it from here....

Any others ?

:mob:

ReputationRep:
    How does one... rape a baby?

He must have a really tiny pecker to even imagine such a feat...

I give him less than a year inside before either killed or seriously injured.

ReputationRep:
    Cannot believe this. Lostprophets were the band that really influenced my music taste all those years ago, and hell, I had the biggest crush on Ian. Met him a couple of weeks before this came out last year and was ecstatic.
    Feel pretty sick to my stomach. I just can't comprehend how and why one would want to do such a thing?! And the fact the women involved were the children's mothers?!
    Those poor, poor babies. I hope they never have to remember or know the horror they were subjected to.

Also WISH the papers would stop linking it to Fearne Cotton because she dated him once - she has nothing to do with it.
    Yikes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pierreboobvier)
    Cannot believe this. Lostprophets were the band that really influenced my music taste all those years ago, and hell, I had the biggest crush on Ian. Met him a couple of weeks before this came out last year and was ecstatic.
    Feel pretty sick to my stomach. I just can't comprehend how and why one would want to do such a thing?! And the fact the women involved were the children's mothers?!
    Those poor, poor babies. I hope they never have to remember or know the horror they were subjected to.

Also WISH the papers would stop linking it to Fearne Cotton because she dated him once - she has nothing to do with it.
    Yikes.
    you had a lucky escape. this guy is worse than Jimmy Savile

ReputationRep:

Yikes.
    You have my sympathy. It must be awful having a pedestal broken like that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    you had a lucky escape. this guy is worse than Jimmy Savile
    Having trouble coming to terms with this, really. But yeah, he is HORRIFIC. Been following this, and I just can't believe half of this. He is disgusting, and I doubt he's going to last long in prison. Hope he rots, regardless.

ReputationRep:
    I remember when I first read about the accusations I didn't believe it because usually these 'people' are quite private whereas this guy fronted a very popular band so it seemed too bizarre to be true and I just assumed someone had made it up to try and defame. However, after a short time it started to become obvious as the case moved forward that he wasn't innocent but I still believed some of the accusations must be exaggerated, based on the fact I didn't believe he could be so depraved.

It is amazing that a frontman of a popular rock group was able to keep all this secret and get up on stage and sing and meet fans etc. Eurgh.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    There's not really many ways I can express how horrific what Watkins has done is. However, a lot of people seem to be venting their hatred on the whole band. As far as I know, they're completely innocent and probably just as disgusted as everyone else.

ReputationRep:
    I had the biggest crush on Ian.
    So did I, now I just feel sick.

ReputationRep:
    Jesus christ

ReputationRep:
    Obviously this is disgusting and disturbing, and that's to put it mildly. However anyone associating the whole band with this is a complete and utter idiot, look at their guitarist and producer's twitter- they're probably the most horrified people out there. They've had their whole lives work ruined too, Start Something was such a fantastic album too.

How can people be so sick?

ReputationRep:
    Crap band, crap music, crap people.
    I hope this pedophile rots in prison.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mddub39)
    Obviously this is disgusting and disturbing, and that's to put it mildly. However anyone associating the whole band with this is a complete and utter idiot, look at their guitarist and producer's twitter- they're probably the most horrified people out there. They've had their whole lives work ruined too, Start Something was such a fantastic album too.

How can people be so sick?
    How can people not notice a raging pedophile doing crack and raping babies right under their noses? I bet the other band members have engaged in illegal activities too.

ReputationRep:
    Too early for jokes...........?

ReputationRep:
    And to think that I used to have posters of Ian Watkins on my bedroom wall

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 24, 2013

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.