AQA USA 1890-1945 12 and 24 mark essay plans. Watch

lsherry
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Just making this thread so i can share essay plans/ titles with anyone else sitting this exam in the summer. Feel free to post any questions you get set by your teachers or any essay plans you make.
TSR Learn Together
  •  Official Rep
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi there,

While you're waiting for an answer, did you know we have 300,000 study resources that could answer your question in TSR's Learn together section?

We have everything from Teacher Marked Essays to Mindmaps and Quizzes to help you with your work. Take a look around.

If you're stuck on how to get started, try creating some resources. It's free to do and can help breakdown tough topics into manageable chunks. Get creating now.

Thanks!

Not sure what all of this is about? Head here to find out more.
lsherry
Rep:
?
Why did Warren Harding win the election in 1920?

• In 1920 Warren Harding receives over 60% of the popular vote. Most decisive margin of victory since Theodore Roosevelt in 1904. They were rejecting the progressive movement.
  • In the 2 years of peace between the armistice of 1918 and the election, there had been social disorder, economic disruption (deep recession after war) and political turmoil – blame for this fell on WW and democrats. See General strike 1919 (4 million strikers) & Anarchist bombings of Wall Street killing 30. People craved order and ‘normalcy’. Calvin Coolidge (vice presidential candidate) was seen as a hero & force for maintaining order after rallying against striking workers and policemen as Governor of Massachusetts.
  • Unpopular democrat positions – Wilson had tried to push the Versailles treaty and joining the League of Nations – Both of these had become symbols of the countries woes & enthrallment to foreign forces. The 1920 democrat candidate James M.Cox & running mate F.D.R both supported American membership in the League of Nations. Harding did not support these.
  • Appeal of ‘return to normalcy’ – Gained new recruits in the face of the carnage of Europe. Weary of crusades and charismatic leaders who demanded they live a life of great deeds and heroic sacrifice at home and abroad. Didn’t want to risk own lives for Europe; they should be left to get on with it. People wanted to see government reigned in and not interfering in people’s lives.

Similar question - Why were the democrats unpopular by 1920?
    You can use lots of the points made above +
    -
  • Loss of supporters from both educated classes and unions. Unions felt betrayed by their former patrons who met strikes harshly with soldiers. Educated classes feared radicalism and striking workers & resented wartime taxation and higher living costs. Many immigrant communities had problems with peace settlements Wilson had negotiated, German, Italians, Eastern Europeans. Settlement seen as too Pro British, too Anti-German, and not benefiting Serbs, poles or Italians
hannahfoureyes
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm resitting this in summer (did it last year and only got a C).

It's hard to pick up marks in this exam, you really have to explain everything and justify everything you say to pick up the evaluation marks.

I do British History along side American and to get a C in American you needed the same percentage as an A in British.... so focus your revision on evaluative points!
lsherry
Rep:
?
(Original post by hannahfoureyes)
I'm resitting this in summer (did it last year and only got a C).
I'm resitting too, the January 2012 exam was horrible, i've got some extra books from the AQA reading list this year so i should do better. Here's another essay plan anyway.
lsherry
Rep:
?
How far was USA isolationist from 1920-1930?
Intro
- Public grow weary of interventionism and close ties to Europe and other nations after WW1. Elect Harding because he promises ‘return to normalcy’ and doesn’t support League of Nations or Treaty of Versailles.
- Entanglements made this hard to achieve, world’s largest exporter and creditor by the end of WW1 meant that America’s future was still strongly linked to the rest of the world.
Isolationist
- Didn’t join League of Nations or the International Court of Justice or ratify Treaty of Versailles.
- High protective tariff. Fordney- McCumber tariff 1922. Tax on foreign goods of 38% to discourage buying from foreign countries. Tariff rates increased again under Coolidge. Isolates America politically and economically, starts trade war with European countries as they raise tariffs on American goods.
- Immigration quota act 1921, National origins act 1924, updated origins act 1929 & literacy tests. Favours white English speaking immigrants. Less foreign influence on society. 1925-1927 85% of all immigrants were from north/west Europe and Scandinavia.
- Under Harding there was a normalisation of relations with Latin American countries. Officially recognised the government of Mexico and used diplomacy to avert open warfare, and compromised over Mexican debt owed to US banks. USA also gave a 25 million pound concession to Columbia to make amends for America’s role in the panama rebellion of 1903. There was much less military intervention in Latin America. These policies in Latin America carried on by Coolidge.
Even though America was involved in the 4 power treaty Harding ensured the senate that there was “no alliance or written or moral obligation to join in defence”. Even after the Kellogg Briand pact the US still emphasises it’s right to enforce the Monroe doctrine.

Not
- Pushed strongly for disarmament. Washington disarmament conference of 1921. Agreements signed between, Japan, UK, France, Italy for naval armaments reduction in East Asia in order to maintain the balance of power in the pacific. Signing of the 4 power treaty by UK, Japan, France and USA – all agreed to respect each other’s interests in the region & confer with each other if any country in the region became aggressive. America needed to protect colonies in Philippines. Geneva Naval conference of 1927 called on countries to limit their navy even further, this was largely a failure but still an example of internationalism.
-Restructuring of German debts through the Dawes plan 1924- provides Germany with foreign loans to pay its international debts. The young plan extended the time Germans had to repay debts.
- Kellogg Briand pact (1928) and other peace conferences take place throughout the 1920’s. USA signed pact renouncing war as a means of settling international grievances. Little substance or sanctions attached to this.
- Open door policy – still using international diplomacy for trade purposes and for benefit of USA.
- Occupation of Nicaragua until the 1933 and intervention in their civil war in 1926 to stop the killing, America then organised a coalition government. USA still had strong influence in Latin American countries where it did not intervene directly. America used ‘sweetheart treaties’ to ensure that America would have a say in running the economic affairs of countries such as Haiti. Coolidge and Hoover both arm and train indigenous security forces sympathetic to the USA ensuring influence.

You might not need all of this info for this question but there you go.
Moaoms
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Anyone know what the questions were for the USA 1890-1945 were ? (Aqa AS level)
chelseafan
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Retaking this exam in may. Got a C first time.
AndrewGrace
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
All the above plans and suggestions are missing quotes from historians and evaluative points concerning wider context of time periods relative to the question, unfortunately this serves to explain why people aren't getting the A grades they want
lsherry
Rep:
?
(Original post by AndrewGrace)
All the above plans and suggestions are missing quotes from historians and evaluative points concerning wider context of time periods relative to the question, unfortunately this serves to explain why people aren't getting the A grades they want
“Not an interventionist in the Wilsonian sense of full-fledged membership in the league of nations or support for collective security. But neither did it endorse isolationism” – Historian Michael E. Parrish. This was included in the normalcy question.

Harding didn’t abolish things like the Federal Reserve System, the Food and drug administration, the Federal trade commission. These became permanent fixtures of the American system from the progressive era. Is this what you mean by the wider context of the time period? if not can you give an example?

I'll make sure i include more of this, but there's nothing stopping people from adding to the essay plans if they feel i haven't covered enough.
Maddiee_xoxo
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
How is everyone revising for this exam? I'm gonna go through my class notes and read from the textbook but are there any online notes or anything to help contextualise all the information?

Posted from TSR Mobile
lsherry
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by Maddiee_xoxo)
How is everyone revising for this exam? I'm gonna go through my class notes and read from the textbook but are there any online notes or anything to help contextualise all the information?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't know really, i revise best by memorizing essay plans and looking at past papers/ questions in the textbook. it's a good way to get used to the style of AQA questions.

Are these plans actually useful to anybody? I'll be posting a lot more once i start revision.
muzika
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I got nearly full marks in this exam last summer. Just revise everything from a book.Make sure you know absolutely everything. I think it's very likely that ww2 going to come up this time. The USA 1890-1945 Revision.docx
lsherry
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by muzika)
I got nearly full marks in this exam. Just revise everything from a book.Make sure you know absolutely everything. I think it's very likely that ww2 going to come up this time. The USA 1890-1945 Revision.docx
I think a question on the domestic successes/failures of the progressives might come up, or something about the impact of world war one, but who knows.
Xscape
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I got nearly full marks in this exam last summer. Just revise everything from a book.Make sure you know absolutely everything. I think it's very likely that ww2 going to come up this time. The USA 1890-1945 Revision.docx
Thank you for that. Did you make it?

Aghh anyone else have a mock for this soon? Mines tomorrow. Also does anyone know if theres a thread for the AQA History topic American Revolution of British colonies?
humar
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hi is the book you are on about the AQA USA 1890-1945. I have started my full on revision now for may hoping to get an A. What do you think will come up for the other two questions. Do you have any historian quotes I could use. How long did it take you revise this?
Thank you
Letimus97
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by lsherry)
Just making this thread so i can share essay plans/ titles with anyone else sitting this exam in the summer. Feel free to post any questions you get set by your teachers or any essay plans you make.
can you post more of your question plans, please? there really nice. also what do you think will come up this year?
Letimus97
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by lsherry)
“Not an interventionist in the Wilsonian sense of full-fledged membership in the league of nations or support for collective security. But neither did it endorse isolationism” – Historian Michael E. Parrish. This was included in the normalcy question.

Harding didn’t abolish things like the Federal Reserve System, the Food and drug administration, the Federal trade commission. These became permanent fixtures of the American system from the progressive era. Is this what you mean by the wider context of the time period? if not can you give an example?

I'll make sure i include more of this, but there's nothing stopping people from adding to the essay plans if they feel i haven't covered enough.
that parrish quote you just posted wasnt included in your original normalcy guide which is why the guy pointed it out
Letimus97
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
sorry the parrish quote wasnt included. i dont think that harding quote will be put in the paper theres barely any detail about that in the 2 main textbooks
paulina1111
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Any predictions for 2015 questions ?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bath
    Undergraduate Virtual Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Feb '19
  • Ravensbourne University London
    School of Design, School of Media Further education
    Sat, 23 Feb '19
  • Leeds Trinity University
    PGCE Open Day Further education
    Sat, 23 Feb '19

Is the plastic tax enough to protect the environment?

Yes (13)
5.58%
No (220)
94.42%

Watched Threads