Traumatised Bat - how to help? Watch

Ghost
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
Hey all,
one of my cats brought home an uninjured bat in its mouth today. It started hitting the bat about whilst it tried to fly away, so we picked it up and set it in a tree. Strangely, the bat hasnt moved an ich from where we set it, it just sits there, moving its ears and keeping its eyes wide open. Is it in shock? It has been like this for about 4 or 5 hours now, is there anything I can do? It doesent even do much if it is touched - I poked it gently and it didnt do anything at all .
sig.fig.
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
You really should have posted this in the Traumatised Bat forum.
Lofty
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Yeah lol, its nocturnal. In the daytime, if they are anything like my gecko's, they cant see an awful lot since their pupils are virtually closed. Sure it will move at night time
Ghost
Rep:
?
I just assumed that even though it was night time, it would still have the sense to get the hell away from something 25 times its height poking it!
Lofty
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by wesetters)
erm...bats are BLIND!
Ummm....no they're not.

(Original post by Website)
Despite the popular saying, "blind as a bat," bats aren't blind at all. In fact, many species can see very well. But bats are specially adapted through echolocation to fly in absolute darkness, where they can find and snag insects for food.
Bats use echolocation yes, but by no means are they blind visually???
Piers-
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Ghost)
Hey all,
one of my cats brought home an uninjured bat in its mouth today. It started hitting the bat about whilst it tried to fly away, so we picked it up and set it in a tree. Strangely, the bat hasnt moved an ich from where we set it, it just sits there, moving its ears and keeping its eyes wide open. Is it in shock? It has been like this for about 4 or 5 hours now, is there anything I can do? It doesent even do much if it is touched - I poked it gently and it didnt do anything at all .
Perhaps the placebo effect: it thinks it's dead.
ImperceptibleNinja
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by sig.fig.)
You really should have posted this in the Traumatised Bat forum.
Maybe you should PM Pig or someone with a request for such a forum to be created. I'm certain it would be very popular...
...My brothers found a Very Traumatised Bat by one of our windows. It had been dead for long enough to not resemble a bat any more I found a Very Small Traumatised Bat Which Had Let Go Of Its Perch And Fallen Rather Far a few years ago and tried to pursuade it to embrace life, but it wasn't having any of it and died. If the OP's Traumatised Bat turns out to be okay, can you tell me what you did to get it to go on living? I don't want to feel responsible for any more Extremely Traumatised And Hence Dead Bats.
Heck, I sound like some bat-serial-killer. I assure you, I am nothing of the sort :rolleyes:
Ghost
Rep:
?
I had it on my hand 10 mins ago, and it seemed to spring to life after a few minutes of heat, they definately can see, he was watching my other hand move about etc.
Just found out you can get rabies from them, I dont want to die!
Lofty
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Its Really Annoying To Read Posts Written Like This Isn't It.

I Hope Your Bat Is OK, And Yes You Can Catch Rabies, Thats What Ozzy Osbourne Nearly Did When He Bit The Head Off Of One.
Ghost
Rep:
?
Here are 2 pics of it.
In response to ImperceptibleNinja, all it seemed to want is heat - I tried to set it on my windowsill, but it just did not want to leave my hand! After being on my hand for about 10 minutes it sprung to life, watching everything that was going on, even attempting to fly. I then just sat it on my windowsill, and it eventually flew off! Yay!

Am I going to get rabies?
Attached files
zain88
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
aaaaaawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww its so cute!!!!!!!!!!!!
Mr @
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
omgzor its a trivium loving bat!! check out the big ears yo! have you tried dressing as a mummy bat and seeing if it flies away?
ImperceptibleNinja
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Lofty)
Its Really Annoying To Read Posts Written Like This Isn't It.
Sorry... I won't do that again
I'm glad to hear the original traumatised bat [See, no capitals I can do this!] has flown merrily away. I sincerely doubt it will have given you rabies:
1) It's far too cute to do anything nasty like that
2) You didn't try to bite its head off
Lofty
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Lol sorry about that Ninja Had a bit of an arggghhhhhh moment about something else, dont take it personally

Yeah, way to cute to give rabies
Ghost
Rep:
?
Just 2 more photos for ya. The last one is where he started to get some life into him and he quickly wondered up my arm and onto my shoulder.
Attached files
Bubblebee
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Adorable
Fluent in Lies
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Contact the BCT (bat conservation trust) Helpline on 0845 1300 228

It should be mentioned that bats are protected so it is normally illegal to handle them. But obviously if is injured you can. Always gloves though.
Ghost
Rep:
?
(Original post by Fluent in Lies)
Always gloves though.
Fluent in Lies
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I heard you can catch rabies just by being within 30m of Ozzy Osbourne.
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (135)
18.42%
No (445)
60.71%
Not really bothered about them (153)
20.87%

Watched Threads