The Student Room Group

history vietnam coursework!

So my history coursework question is:

How effective were the American tactics of 'search and destroy' and 'defoliation' during the Vietnam war?

I have to find a variety of sources to use as evidence for my answer! I'm going to go to the library to look at some books and accounts on them but i need some internet/film resources as well and I can't find any good, trustworthy, valid sources on the internet! If you know of any could you tell me where I could find some or maybe link them in?

Thank you! xx
Hi there,

While you're waiting for an answer, did you know we have 300,000 study resources that could answer your question in TSR's Learn together section?

We have everything from Teacher Marked Essays to Mindmaps and Quizzes to help you with your work. Take a look around.

If you're stuck on how to get started, try creating some resources. It's free to do and can help breakdown tough topics into manageable chunks. Get creating now.

Thanks!

Not sure what all of this is about? Head here to find out more.
Reply 2
I'm Vietnamese! :biggrin:
That's all I got to say - I learnt about this in when I was in Vietnam so what I know isn't exactly right. They purposely made everything we learn to be in favour of the country.
In the Vietnam War the US army believed that if Vietnam would become communist countries like Cambodia, Thailand and Laos would follow proving their "Domino Theory" correct. Their main aim was to get the North Vietnamese people to surrender. They assisted the South fight the North, so their military had to come up with methods to defend themselves from the Viet Cong; who used their own guerilla tactics. Tactics such as defoliation and search and destroy were the most commonly used, and are the most famous today. The US military were being affected psychologically so badly by the Viet Cong's tactics, that they had to come up with a way to overcome it.

Quick Reply