The Student Room Group

C3 Modulus please help!!

Hi

No idea how to start drawing the curves l 2sinx l and sin l 2x l? I know how sin l x l looks like, how do i start from there?

thankyou!!
Reply 1
Original post by Nina8
Hi

No idea how to start drawing the curves l 2sinx l and sin l 2x l? I know how sin l x l looks like, how do i start from there?

thankyou!!

Well if f(x) = sin|x| (which is sinx with the negative x values having the same y values as the respective positive x values)

then f(2x) = sin |2x|

you should know how to draw this graph from C1 (think of f(ax))
Reply 2
Original post by Nina8
Hi

thankyou!!

Use Exam solutions, he explains it quite nicely, here

www.examsolutions.net/maths-revision/syllabuses/Edexcel/period-1/C3/module.php

:smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Nina8
Hi

thankyou!!

Draw the curves y=2sinx and y=sin2xy=2\sin x \mathrm{\ and\ }y=\sin 2x and reflect the portions below the x axis in the x axis.
Reply 4
To picture sin2xsin 2x:

First note we know that sinxsin x repeats itself and goes through one complete cycle between x=0x=0 and x=2πx= 2 \pi.

Whereas sin2xsin 2x goes through one complete cycle between x=0x=0 and x=πx= \pi instead. So it is like the function sinxsin x but squashed up in the x-direction.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest