Halls - Rules? Watch

Caribou
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
I start uni in september.. and was wondering what the general situation would be with my girlfriend staying in my room in halls each weekend.

Are there rules against this.. or is this generally acceptable?
Acaila
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Varies between unis really.
At mine for instance we could only have guests 7 nights per month and you had to submit applications before 6pm on the day they arrived for it.
(They usually didn't check keys before 9 though so it could be avoided)
Caribou
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
(Original post by Acaila)
(They usually didn't check keys before 9 though so it could be avoided)
check keys?? :confused:
gianthead
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
from what I've heard most unis allow overnight guests provided they don't become permanent fixtures
after all it's adults renting rooms, not kids in a boarding school
ladyportacabin
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Depends on the uni I think. Plus it might annoy your housemates if she's there every weekend.
baby_emmy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
At the Uni i go to - you are not suppose to have anyone stay over, but no one cares really, as long as you don't leave them in the room if there is a fire alarm going off (it's happened many times!!) it's no problem at all!

-x-
arkbar
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
My girlfriend stayed over at mine for irregular week-long periods and vice versa with no problems.
sexysax
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
At my uni, people have friends to stay etc and it doesn't bother anyone and noone has been in trouble for it.
Ron Stoppable
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by sexysax)
At my uni, people have friends to stay etc and it doesn't bother anyone and noone has been in trouble for it.
So not the drama.

Don't make a fuss and security won't notice. You'll all look like students to them.
Ynox
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
only real concern is if its weekly your flatmates will probably get slightly pissed about it. Plus then you might also not go out etc as a group at weekends.

Know in my 3 years of uni it got pretty bloody annoying if people always had their girlfriends/boyfriends to stay...
erk
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
i thik there's some sort of rules at ours (unite) but people stay ALL the time in most flats. my flatmate had her boyfriend for practically the year, i regard(ed) (left this morn) him as a flatmate. we also had another dude stay on teh sofa for 3-4 nights for the first two terms, no one said a thing.

i did hear of someone being 'warned' as they had their bf stay over, and someone complained, but that was about it. it's unlikely that they'll even notice, let alone care. but yeh, it depends on the uni.
X
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
There's some quite weird rules here at Oxford, however, they're not enforced at all and I think its generally the same at most other places unless someone complains.
ladyportacabin
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I would probably only get annoyed by it if we were sharing bills and the gf/bf was using lots of electricity or water. Or if they ate all the food in the fridge or had nosiy sex.
Blondie22
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
being a singleton i oftern found it annoying when people have their bfs to stay.. because they would become anti social and often make u feel awkward if they were in the kitchen together ect
but no and again is fine, just not all the time
Toy Soldier
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
We were supposed to register any guests with some stupid form for insurance / fire safety reasons. I think there might have been a 2 night limit too. I don't think anyone EVER bothered though, a friend of mine from America had one of his friends staying in his room for about a week and didn't bother to tell management.

We didn't really have much in the way of night security at my halls, and certainly no one "checking" who was coming in. Basically, from 5pm - 8am there was absolutely NO ONE 'in authority' at our halls! No one at weekends either. A bit crazy really, no wonder we caused such chaos
Toy Soldier
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Blondie22)
being a singleton i oftern found it annoying when people have their bfs to stay.. because they would become anti social and often make u feel awkward if they were in the kitchen together ect
but no and again is fine, just not all the time
Ha ha, I remember I was sitting in the girl's kitchen (which was below ours) in halls once, and some guy was there.. he just sat there saying nothing! At one point he went away to the toilet and I was like "Err... who was that weird little guy? He was a bit freaky." and one of the girls was like "my boyfriend!". All I could say was "Oh... he seems... nice ".

The moral of the story - I sort of realised that it must be a bit intimidating for a guy to come and visit his girlfriend at Uni where she has all her new friends. I wouldn't like it much. Pity them!
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Ynox)
Know in my 3 years of uni it got pretty bloody annoying if people always had their girlfriends/boyfriends to stay...
Why?
Saffie
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Nessyfencer)
Why?
I spose people being coupley can make others feel awkward. Extra people taking up the small space in the kitchen, crowding the place. Having strangers round where you live can make you feel uncomfortable...
erk
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Saffie)
I spose people being coupley can make others feel awkward. Extra people taking up the small space in the kitchen, crowding the place. Having strangers round where you live can make you feel uncomfortable...
Everyday at uni you'll meet 'strangers' though? they're hardly strangers if they're there often, as i said somewhere above, my flatmate's bf is basically my flatmate also.. we're good mates, not exactly a stranger.
X
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I actually get on with my friends' other halves quite well and rather enjoy it when they come down for a weekend or something. It probably felt a bit weird for them initially, being with a bunch of new people that your girlfriend/boyfriend already knew quite well, but they soon settle in if they're at all social.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

Yes (52)
29.71%
No - I got the required grades (101)
57.71%
No - I missed the required grades and didn't get in (22)
12.57%

Watched Threads