The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

This is more than twenty years ago now, but when my mum was at uni, it said in her halls (all female) that any male visitors must have two feet on the ground at all times during the visit! I found that hilariously funny!

Lou
xxx
Reply 21
erk
Everyday at uni you'll meet 'strangers' though? they're hardly strangers if they're there often, as i said somewhere above, my flatmate's bf is basically my flatmate also.. we're good mates, not exactly a stranger.

It's not that they're strangers, it's that they're another person invading their space for no real reason, and taking their friend away for long periods of time. All well and good if you get on with the other half, but if you don't it can get hellish. My next door neighbour's girlfriend practically moved in with him this year (though she was at the same college rather than another uni, but she still spent all her time in his room and they cooked together etc). I got on ok with him, but I found her really hard to get on with, not helped by her taking up loads of space in my fridge, being in the shower when I wanted it and talking loudly and rudely about medics outside my door when I was trying to sleep/revise.

I'd advise anyone going to uni NOT to have their other half up every weekend, and not at all for the first few weeks or so. It will isolate you socially - you don't want to be "the one who never comes out cos she's always with/on the phone to her boyfriend."

Anyway - most halls allow you to have guests for limited numbers of nights. There's bound to be a formal checking in procedure but in most places it can be skipped.
i agree with helenia i lived with a girl who had her boyfriend over every weekend and it was dead awkward cos we never saw em apart from once or twice in the kitchen and looking all coupley, it just makes it awkward for those pretty much ignored during this time. please dont force this person on them every weekend or youll soon find that you house mates will go home at the weekend just to get away from the 'invasion'. a weekend every fortnight would be fine but not every weekend!
Reply 23
i have my boyfriend over ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLL the time! he practicly lives there! this is great because 2 of my flatmates are complete slobs and he has no tact so constantly says things infront of them like "WHAT TRAMP LEFT THIS HERE" which makes me happy inside!
my other 2 flatmates don't mind him at all and find him rather funny!

i've had 4 ppl stop over in my room for 3 weeks (3 weeks of sleeping on the floor aint fun) but no1 minded... wardens and security knew they were there but didn't care either!

Latest

Trending

Trending