The Student Room Group

Maths or engineering?

Hi all, I'll try to keep this short.
Basically for a really long time I have been focused on maths maths maths, at uni, beyond, just maths all the time. However recently I've realised that I'm not that good at the things that I need to be good at - mainly the maths challenge/olympiad style entrance test questions, which is obviously important to get into a good university.
So I've started considering engineering, my parents are both engineers so I know what it involves, and I think it would have more of a practical application than a maths degree (or maybe I'm wrong) but I do have to make my mind up soon and i can't decide!
Has anyone been in a similar situation? What should I do?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Bump :frown:

I genuinely need some advice, please!

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
Do you do further maths?
Reply 3
I do maths, further maths, chemistry, physics and history :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by marinajelly
I do maths, further maths, chemistry, physics and history :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Is this AS? And how are you finding FM?
Is there anyone at your school who you could ask for advice?
Reply 6
Original post by ninuzu
Is this AS? And how are you finding FM?

Yep, AS, and I really enjoy it - I'm good at the exam content I just can't do the 'olympiad' type questions :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Hi all, I'll try to keep this short.
Basically for a really long time I have been focused on maths maths maths, at uni, beyond, just maths all the time. However recently I've realised that I'm not that good at the things that I need to be good at - mainly the maths challenge/olympiad style entrance test questions, which is obviously important to get into a good university.
So I've started considering engineering, my parents are both engineers so I know what it involves, and I think it would have more of a practical application than a maths degree (or maybe I'm wrong) but I do have to make my mind up soon and i can't decide!
Has anyone been in a similar situation? What should I do?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well... do you like Maths? What is it about Maths you like? It'll be torture if you have to do a 3-year course on something you later discover you don't like that well. The good universities put a big workload on you, and if you don't like your work, those three years are going to suck.
Reply 8
Original post by shadowdweller
Is there anyone at your school who you could ask for advice?

I guess I can ask teachers, but they're all very vague about it, 'its your choice' and everything :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I guess I can ask teachers, but they're all very vague about it, 'its your choice' and everything :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well, do you think you would enjoy engineering?
Reply 10
Well, do you think you would enjoy engineering?

Yeah I think so, I think I'd love maths I'm just worried that it'll be too hard now that I've realised I'm rubbish!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Yep, AS, and I really enjoy it - I'm good at the exam content I just can't do the 'olympiad' type questions :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well, A2 further maths is certainly a lot more tricky than AS, but the olympiad is still nothing like that. If you enjoy maths, I'd say keep going. Depends how interested you are in the application of it. If it's just the theoretical aspect you enjoy, than maths would be better. If you prefer the practical real life aspects of maths, go for engineering.
Have you considered physics? Bit of both in that.
Yeah I think so, I think I'd love maths I'm just worried that it'll be too hard now that I've realised I'm rubbish!

Posted from TSR Mobile

How do you do in exams and the like?
at uni:
Maths is maths
Engineering is a combination of maths, physics, computing (with CAD) and graphical design on paper...it's a lot more rounded?

engineering probably has more employability factors
that being said; maths is really interesting and can lead to an infinite number of career possibilities.

Both courses are cockfests if you want to know that kind of thing.
Reply 14
Original post by ninuzu
Well, A2 further maths is certainly a lot more tricky than AS, but the olympiad is still nothing like that. If you enjoy maths, I'd say keep going. Depends how interested you are in the application of it. If it's just the theoretical aspect you enjoy, than maths would be better. If you prefer the practical real life aspects of maths, go for engineering.
Have you considered physics? Bit of both in that.

I think that's what's changed recently, I'd rather do engineering because I guess it has more of a value in real life situations :') I have, but I just don't see it, I'm not that enthusiastic about it :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
How do you do in exams and the like?

Haven't done AS yet, but in all my assessments and tests or whatever in maths I get close to full marks and ar gcse I got all A*s, not sure if that's what you were asking for :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I would say you should do what you enjoy but that comes from someone who does HnD in Music production. If I were you I'd pick up engineering as that probably get you profits later on and your parents could support you a lot as much with studies as with maybe getting you a job. I might be wrong tho :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
I think that's what's changed recently, I'd rather do engineering because I guess it has more of a value in real life situations :') I have, but I just don't see it, I'm not that enthusiastic about it :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why don't you look at what sort of engineering modules are available. There's lots of different types of engineering.
But at the end of the day, there's not much point doing something you're not enthusiastic about. If you've looked into engineering a bit, and it still doesn't interest you, then you've answered your own question :smile:
Reply 18

Are we taking IMO or UKMT? If you can't do UKMT then I probably wouldn't do maths at degree either. If you can't do IMO then do not worry at all! If you're interested in proofs and whatever else comes up in IMO, read a book on analysis, and then keep reading, reading, reading (as well as staying above water at A-level). I don't think AS-level maths equips you at all well enough to do IMO.
Reply 19
Original post by ninuzu
Why don't you look at what sort of engineering modules are available. There's lots of different types of engineering.
But at the end of the day, there's not much point doing something you're not enthusiastic about. If you've looked into engineering a bit, and it still doesn't interest you, then you've answered your own question :smile:

I guess I am more enthusiastic about maths, I just think it'd be too hard, and I'm afraid I'll get sick of it - engineering seems diverse and applicable, I know because of my parents being both engineers :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending