PGCE 2014 interview Watch

MsVictoria
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hello!

I just received an invite to interview for my PGCE with CCCU and wondered if anyone else is in the same boat?
The interview assessments seem very intensive, anyone from previous years have any words of wisdom?

Thank you
Canterbury Christ Church University
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by MsVictoria)
Hello!

I just received an invite to interview for my PGCE with CCCU and wondered if anyone else is in the same boat?
The interview assessments seem very intensive, anyone from previous years have any words of wisdom?

Thank you

I've spoken with a current Primary Education PGCE student, they stated they had an interview, a maths test and a presentation.

I will try and find out what sort of questions they were asked in the interview and what they had to cover in the presentation.
Josieee
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hello!

Thank you
What PGCE are you doing? I'm currently at CCCU doing Lower Primary, pretty much same course as Upper Primary PGCE. Good luck x
MsVictoria
Rep:
?
(Original post by Josieee)
What PGCE are you doing? I'm currently at CCCU doing Lower Primary, pretty much same course as Upper Primary PGCE. Good luck x
Upper primary. I really really really want it! :P
But am so nervous about the interview- it's mainly the maths test as the explanation of it seemed so vague. How is the course? And the university?
Josieee
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Upper primary. I really really really want it! :P
But am so nervous about the interview- it's mainly the maths test as the explanation of it seemed so vague. How is the course? And the university?
The maths test was fine, and it's just to show where about you are with your maths- it is nothing to worry about. The interview was absolutely fine, it was like a chat! The course is okay, it is hard work there is no doubt about that. I've just done 5 weeks of placement and got 2 more to go, teaching is definitely the best part of this course for me. Though I do miss uni! If you have any questions feel free to message me
MsVictoria
Rep:
?
The maths test was fine, and it's just to show where about you are with your maths- it is nothing to worry about. The interview was absolutely fine, it was like a chat! The course is okay, it is hard work there is no doubt about that. I've just done 5 weeks of placement and got 2 more to go, teaching is definitely the best part of this course for me. Though I do miss uni! If you have any questions feel free to message me
I got a conditional offer! Woo. Thanks for the help!
kniamh
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi! I have an interview for the Primary PGCE in Canterbury University at the end of the month and was just wondering what the interview process was like? I've read posts on the interview and the Math test but nothing on the presentation? Any tips for what I can expect??
MsVictoria
Rep:
?
(Original post by kniamh)
Hi! I have an interview for the Primary PGCE in Canterbury University at the end of the month and was just wondering what the interview process was like? I've read posts on the interview and the Math test but nothing on the presentation? Any tips for what I can expect??

Sorry for the delayed reply. Have you had your interview already?
If not:
It's such a relaxed process, you do the presentation in small groups, you just turn to each other and present your item. I was really relaxed and at one point I just went "Yup..and..well I'm super nervous, clearly, because I forgot what I was going to say." Then I carried on. So it's not some flash competition but more of a casual talk.

Then you just chat to the interviewer- you are free to ask questions and they ask you stuff. It's more about you showing you're good at communicating and chatting (I guess) more than you reeling of a list about what you've done and who you are. So just relax, I just talked to him like he was a friends parent I was meeting for the first time (but more about teaching than..y'know..films haha!)

Good luck.
Let me know how it goes.
Mgl
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi Josiee, I hope you don't mind me asking but how far from Canterbury is your placement? I have been offered a PGCE place at CCCU and don't know whether to move to Canterbury with my partner (who will look for a job there) or stay in London in case my placement is in or near London and just commute those weeks when I'm in uni.
Really unsure what to do and would appreciate any advice/info.:confused:
MsVictoria
Rep:
?
(Original post by Mgl)
Hi Josiee, I hope you don't mind me asking but how far from Canterbury is your placement? I have been offered a PGCE place at CCCU and don't know whether to move to Canterbury with my partner (who will look for a job there) or stay in London in case my placement is in or near London and just commute those weeks when I'm in uni.
I know I haven't started yet but my advice is to move. I only say that because I was querying the same thing as I'm from East Sussex and I know that they do placements down there.
However, once i had my interview I spoke to one of the tutors and they said that:
a) There is no guarantee of where you will be, you could be based near where you live once and then for the other 3 be very far away.
b) You spend equal time at university as you do on placement, so you will have to commute into CCCU regardless.

If you're struggling to decide, why not email them and ask for that timetable they showed at the start of the presentation- then you can get an idea of how many times you'd need to be at uni and if the amount of commuting is worth it.

The fact that all placements will be in different areas swayed me though.

Hope that helped/made sense.
Josieee
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Mgl)
All placements are made within 1 hour of where you live, so this just can cause a problem where ever you live. I live near Canterbury and still had to drive 45 minutes to my first one. People in my PGCE group come from all over the place, including near London and also one from East Sussex. You can't guarantee anything with placements at all. You should just do what you prefer. Also quite a few people have home placements, meaning their school is in the area their home is, e.g. Norfolk, etc.
Josieee
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Also you only get 2 schools for placement guys- just so you know. You get one base school which you spend the majority of your placement at and then a 4 week contrasting placement. Also they won't necessarily be in different areas, it just depends. Mine are all in the same area, because my school tutor could link me to that school.
Mgl
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
All placements are made within 1 hour of where you live, so this just can cause a problem where ever you live. I live near Canterbury and still had to drive 45 minutes to my first one. People in my PGCE group come from all over the place, including near London and also one from East Sussex. You can't guarantee anything with placements at all. You should just do what you prefer. Also quite a few people have home placements, meaning their school is in the area their home is, e.g. Norfolk, etc.
Thanks for your reply Josieee. It's made me realise that it's probably better to have just the one long journey to my placement if I move to Canterbury, rather than risk commuting to uni and probably still travelling some way to the placement if I stay in London. Looking forward to getting to know Canterbury!!
Mgl
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I know I haven't started yet but my advice is to move. I only say that because I was querying the same thing as I'm from East Sussex and I know that they do placements down there.
However, once i had my interview I spoke to one of the tutors and they said that:
a) There is no guarantee of where you will be, you could be based near where you live once and then for the other 3 be very far away.
b) You spend equal time at university as you do on placement, so you will have to commute into CCCU regardless.

If you're struggling to decide, why not email them and ask for that timetable they showed at the start of the presentation- then you can get an idea of how many times you'd need to be at uni and if the amount of commuting is worth it.

The fact that all placements will be in different areas swayed me though.

Hope that helped/made sense.
Thanks for your advice. I think I would prefer to live in Canterbury after all rather than have to both commute to uni from London and also travel some distance to the placements.
Samus2
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Mgl)
Thanks for your reply Josieee. It's made me realise that it's probably better to have just the one long journey to my placement if I move to Canterbury, rather than risk commuting to uni and probably still travelling some way to the placement if I stay in London. Looking forward to getting to know Canterbury!!
When I visited for my interview, I fell in love with the place. Such a beautiful city.
Josieee
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Mgl)
That's probably the best way Especially considering quite a few people end up staying in hotels overnight in order to avoid the long journey. Plus you'll love Canterbury If you have anymore questions feel free to ask
paulinepowell
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hi, can anyone let me know if there are many mature students on the PGCE (lower primary) course.
I'm in my late 30's and have an interview on 30th July. Excited but nervous (thanks Josieee for your great comments about the interview process)

Does anyone know the intake numbers for 2014 lower primary? I'm worried that by the time I do my interview - there'll be no places left!

poppi
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (89)
16.39%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (56)
10.31%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (97)
17.86%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (82)
15.1%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (54)
9.94%
How can I be the best version of myself? (165)
30.39%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise