University of St Andrews and Barts and the London (QMUL) partnership Route?

Watch
waheed786
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hi guys,

I was wondering if anyone's heard of the St Andrews- Queen Mary (Barts and the London) medical school partnership and whether it has been implemented?

When I filled out the UCAS application for Medicine at St Andrews it only had the Manchester (M) route along with the Scottish Universities (S) course pathway for 'Phase 2'.

I understand St Andrews medicine course structure is as follows:

• A100 = Phase 1 + Phase 2
    • Phase 1 = years 1-3: BSc Honours at University of St Andrews
    • Phase 2 = years 4-6: MB ChB at a UK partner Medical School

... so does anyone know whether Barts and London (QMUL) is now officially a UK Partner Medical School for St Andrews for 'Phase 2' of the course pathway.

As there is no mention of it on the website (http://medicine.st-andrews.ac.uk/prospectus/#), which is why I am slightly apprehensive at the moment. Although I did find something very interesting on the web, a programme plan for their partnership, though I don't know whether it has been initiated permanently yet or not (http://medicine.st-andrews.ac.uk/doc...1_05_09_03.pdf )

Any insight from current/past St Andrews' medicine undergraduates would be greatly valued.

Thanks for your help!
waheed786
Rep:
?
Any help will be much appreciated!
TattyBoJangles
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Yes, it's official (I'm on it) but I don't believe you can apply for it yet.
I didn't know anything about it until they sent me an email saying "We can't put you on your chosen route (Scotland), here's an offer for the new Barts route".
waheed786
Rep:
?
(Original post by TattyBoJangles)
Yes, it's official (I'm on it) but I don't believe you can apply for it yet.
I didn't know anything about it until they sent me an email saying "We can't put you on your chosen route (Scotland), here's an offer for the new Barts route".
That's awesome! Thanks Tatty, much appreciated .

Did you initially (through UCAS), apply for the Scottish phase 2 pathway or Manchester? (I have applied for Manchester Pathway so slightly concerned, there was no Barts pathway as far as I remember, should I be worried?)

Also... did you have to undergo an interview process to secure a place at Barts or was it spontaneous-enrollment? In either case, was the Barts pathway competitive?

I really like Barts and St Andrews so hope by the time I enrol ( Sep 2014) i will be able to access that pathway in my second year.

Thanks again, I really appreciate your help in this matter.
TattyBoJangles
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by waheed786)
That's awesome! Thanks Tatty, much appreciated .

Did you initially (through UCAS), apply for the Scottish phase 2 pathway or Manchester? (I have applied for Manchester Pathway so slightly concerned, there was no Barts pathway as far as I remember, should I be worried?)

Also... did you have to undergo an interview process to secure a place at Barts or was it spontaneous-enrollment? In either case, was the Barts pathway competitive?

I really like Barts and St Andrews so hope by the time I enrol ( Sep 2014) i will be able to access that pathway in my second year.

Thanks again, I really appreciate your help in this matter.
I applied for the Scottish route, but I'm an RUK student (as is everyone else I've met who's on the route).

It wasn't competitive as such as I didn't apply for the Barts route as I didn't know it existed. No extra interview needed, they just made me an offer.

If you don't get put on the Barts route it's fairly unlikely you'll be able to change to it, but it's not impossible.
leeshabee
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
A few people have applied for the scotland route a d been offered bars but there weren't enough places so by that logic I'm sure a swap would be possible
Jacsprat
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
We were at the open day in St. Andrews today where they told us that just yesterday they had agreed to offer a St. Andrews England route where the option will be either Manchester or Bart's.
This should be available for 2015 applications. (They have just to get the new UCAS code)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (329)
55.76%
I don't have everything I need (261)
44.24%

Watched Threads