Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Pressure from my parents to become a doctor. Watch

I keep telling them I don't want to spend 9 years becoming a GP.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VictoriaCoolio)
    The time has now come for me to make my A level choices and my parents want me study Physics, Maths, Chemistry and Biology so I can study Medicine at university to become a GP/doctor. I want to take Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry and study Maths at university. I keep telling them if I don't study Further Maths at A level I won't really be able to study Maths at University. I keep telling them I hate Biology and I don't want to spend 9 years becoming a GP so I wouldn't make a good doctor anyways because I don't have any people skills. They keep telling me that I'll make lots of money but I don't care that much about money to spend 9 years studying for something I hate. How do I convince them to let me take Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry?
    Are you Asian?

Just put whatever you want to study down.

You could replace Physics with Further Maths?

(Original post by tehforum)
    Are you Asian?

Just put whatever you want to study down.

You could replace Physics with Further Maths?
    I love Physics.

ReputationRep:
    Get a list of well-earning, respectable jobs in mathematics? Investment banking, actuarial positions and a bunch of other stuff in finance are all opportunities for maths graduates, and maths is a generally well respected degree.
    Also, explain to them that you are unlikely to get a place on a medicine degree without a passion for it due to the rigorous interviews.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I love Physics. By the way I'm black LOL.
    Yeah, I'd try going down bluebeetle's route.

ReputationRep:
    Tell them that you don't want to become a doctor, and it's not the thing for you. You'll probably drop out, or lose interest in the first few years, let them know.

Plus, some parents think that doctors get six figure salaries on average....not saying your parents think this, but just in case, let them know the average salary.

ReputationRep:
    The time has now come for me to make my A level choices and my parents want me study Physics, Maths, Chemistry and Biology so I can study Medicine at university to become a GP/doctor. I want to take Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry and study Maths at university. I keep telling them if I don't study Further Maths at A level I won't really be able to study Maths at University. I keep telling them I hate Biology and I don't want to spend 9 years becoming a GP so I wouldn't make a good doctor anyways because I don't have any people skills. They keep telling me that I'll make lots of money but I don't care that much about money to spend 9 years studying for something I hate. How do I convince them to let me take Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry?
    Doctors don't make that much money. You could earn way more money by doing a maths degree at a top uni.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    My parents wanted the same, all my friends got forced into doing the sciences and ended up getting U's and E's as they dreaded the subjects and eventually got kicked out of the 6th form. However, I went to do Economics and the other subjects I enjoyed and achieved AAB at AS and now I'm planning on going university to study Investement & Financial risk management and love my decision.

ReputationRep:
    I don't get why this is such an issue sometimes.
    You're the person that makes the final decision, so just pick whichever subjects you want.

(Original post by bluebeetle)
    Get a list of well-earning, respectable jobs in mathematics? Investment banking, actuarial positions and a bunch of other stuff in finance are all opportunities for maths graduates, and maths is a generally well respected degree.
    Also, explain to them that you are unlikely to get a place on a medicine degree without a passion for it due to the rigorous interviews.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I have told them this.

(Original post by Sir Killalot)
    I don't get why this is such an issue sometimes.
    You're the person that makes the final decision, so just pick whichever subjects you want.
    Exactly I should tell them this. It's my life afterall.

ReputationRep:
    The potential earnings for people good at maths are far, far greater than those good at medicine.

ReputationRep:
    Whatever you do, don't do medicine for any reason other than wanting to do it yourself. Take it from someone in medicine, unless you really have a passion for it you will spend every day hating your life.
    Plus the pay isn't that amazing, especially for the hours you have to do.
    Tell your parents the pay is crap and they should back off :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bad8oy)
    Doctors don't make that much money. You could earn way more money by doing a maths degree at a top uni.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I agree, ethnic minority parents really haven't got a clue when they talk about money and med. :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FlavaFavourFruit)
    I agree, ethnic minority parents really haven't got a clue when they talk about money and med. :lol:
    Yeah haha my cousin was kinda forced Into it. He's not happy with how much he gets payed so has decided to change his career path

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yeah haha my cousin was kinda forced Into it. He's not happy with how much he gets payed so has decided to change his career path

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hahaha good on him! The pay really isn't that great until consultant level lol.

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm considering changing career path and I haven't even started work yet

I just want a job that pays proportionally to the amount of work I have to do

ReputationRep:
    Only ever do something if you want to do it! I was aiming to study medicine at uni when I started alevels at sixth form by picking chemistry, biology and psychology, but i soon found that medicine wasn't really what I wanted to do deep down. It was tough to let it out but I'm so glad that I did because now I'm aiming to do something I really want to do! I've just applied to study nursing at uni and I know it's 100% the right choice! I hope that you make the right choice for you whatever that may be!

ReputationRep:
    Might be some what unrelated but after months of being pressured into doing medicine or pharmacy I finally found the guts to apply for the course I really want to do which is biological sciences and sent off my UCAS a month ago and since then I've received several remarks from my dad about studying a useless degree and wasting my life studying rubbish, it once got so bad I considered withdrawing my application but I'm learning to ignore it now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FlavaFavourFruit)
    Hahaha good on him! The pay really isn't that great until consultant level lol.
    Exactly, he's really frustrated with the fact that how you progress isn't based on how good a doctor you are.
    He also has other reasons as well though and he said nurses are way too powerful.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 13, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.