Turn on thread page Beta

Resolution 2006/11: Human Rights violations in the Republic of Congo - Passed watch

• View Poll Results:
    0%

ReputationRep:
    Resolution 2006/11, United States of America
    Resolution 2006/11: Human Rights violations in the Republic of Congo
    First and Final Draft

23rd June 2006

Committee: Human Rights & Refugees
    Submitted by: United States of America

The General Assembly of The United Nations,

Reaffirming that all States Members of the United Nations have an obligation
    to promote and protect human rights and fundamental freedoms, and the duty to fulfil the obligations they have undertaken under the various instruments in this field.

Noting that the Democratic Republic of the Congo is a party to several international and regional human rights instruments and to several instruments pertaining to international humanitarian law,

Noting that the Preamble of the United Nations Charter calls upon member states 'to reaffirm faith in fundamental human rights, in the dignity and worth of the human person, in the equal rights of men and women and of nations large and small,'.

Recalling the Security Council Resolution 688, constituting that internal violations of Human Rights constitute a threat to international peace and security,

Noting with deep concern that the Republic of Conga poses a threat to international peace and security,

1.Condemns the Republic of Congo for:

i.the continued violations of human rights, including armed violence

ii.reprisals against the civilian population and the recourse to sexual violence against women and children, including in situations where such practices are beingused as a weapon of war;

iii.The killing of United Nations peacekeeping troops by militia groups in Ituri Province, eastern Democratic Republic of the Congo, in February 2005 and in June 2005

iv.The killing of Pascal Kabungulu Kibembi, Executive Secretary of the human rights non-governmental organization de la Justice on 31 July 2005 and the harassment of human rights defenders across the country;

x.the continued illegal exploitations of natural resources,

xi.the use of children for the purposes of mining and prostitution

xii.The use of excessive force by security forces while dispersing demonstrations resulted in deaths

xiii.the failure of the Government to act when its employees raped a large number of civilians

xiv.the failure to act when a number of persons died in prison due to mistreatment and neglect during the last year

xv.the failure of the government to act when numerous soilders from its military killed innocent civilians, including children, raped citizens, including children, and looted houses, both inside Congo and in surrounding countries.

xvi.the failure to act whenarmed groups abducted women and children from the villages they raided to perform labor, military services, and sexual services.

2.Requests that the United Nations Human Rights Council focus its attention on the situation in the Republic of Congo;

3.Demands that the Republic of Congo take measures to end the violations of human rights committed inside its country and those committed by its troops in foreign lands.;

4.Further invites the Security Council to consider appropriate actions to take, including, at the most, the use of economic and trade sanctions.;

ReputationRep:
    France will vote in favour of this resolution.

ReputationRep:
    Israel is in full agreement for this resolution.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry for my lack of mass PM'ing, my lack of sub makes it sehr confusing and long (I have to do TWO PMs!)

ReputationRep:
    Shame on you Nightowl... I actually had to come to this forum and find the poll myself :mad:.

ReputationRep:
    Congo, heh.

The UK has voted in favour of this resolution.

ReputationRep:
    China apologizes for not voting

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Apollo)
    No problem.

ReputationRep:
    If anyone misses the mass PM'ing, sub me (Just kidding, Id feel guilty and this is probably illegal in the rules somewhere..)

ReputationRep:
    If anyone misses the mass PM'ing, sub me (Just kidding, Id feel guilty and this is probably illegal in the rules somewhere..)
    Well, actually I PMed the SC members myself.

ReputationRep:
    Usurper!

So they have no excuse!

Anyway yes you probably saw through my weak disguise.. it is true I dont need sub to do it, BUT I have been getting home very tired lately, which should be fixed on Friday, when I break up

ReputationRep:
    From school that is, not "break up" into pieces.

ReputationRep:
    Usurper!
    Hehee..*drugs Nightowl*

ReputationRep:
    Drugging computers, eh?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Apollo)
    France slaps China for not voting :mad:

ReputationRep:
    Drugging computers, eh?
    Darn it...plants virus onto bot...

France slaps China for not voting
    I'll have to let that go as it's not a girl being slapped....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nightowl)
    Ask brimstone. He seems to enjoy subbing people, especially if you agree to rep him (although you can't know, so hmmmmmmmmm!). He's subbed >> 10 people and probably holds the record in terms of # of subs bought per unit time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Knogle)
    Ask brimstone. He seems to enjoy subbing people, especially if you agree to rep him (although you can't know, so hmmmmmmmmm!). He's subbed >> 10 people and probably holds the record in terms of # of subs bought per unit time.
    I only sub people I think deserve it ... if they're nice, friendly or I get on with them, I might sub them. However, I plan to sub one more person only ... and I know who that is ... because I can't afford it.
    Anyways, I've subbed Nightowl before, haven't I?

ReputationRep:
    I believe you have brim, and it was much appreciated and I don't think I repped you in return, did I?

ReputationRep:
    :eek: You didn't :mad: ... you've never repped me :mad:

I mean ... yep, I did ... and I didn't get any rep in return

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.