The Student Room Group

Don't understand Public Law Essay Title? What is this asking?

The essay title is: The complexities surrounding the decision on whether to arm the Syrian rebels illustrate clearly the importance of allowing the executive free use of the Royal Prerogative.

I read it over and over again. But I have never done a law essay before so don't really know what to do. Or what it is asking?

1) What am i supposed to discuss or analyze? What is it really asking us to do?

2) Can someone give me some possible issues to discuss so I know what kind of thing what kind of thing we should be discussing?

Thanks a lot!!!
Original post by tankeel
The essay title is: The complexities surrounding the decision on whether to arm the Syrian rebels illustrate clearly the importance of allowing the executive free use of the Royal Prerogative.

I read it over and over again. But I have never done a law essay before so don't really know what to do. Or what it is asking?

1) What am i supposed to discuss or analyze? What is it really asking us to do?

2) Can someone give me some possible issues to discuss so I know what kind of thing what kind of thing we should be discussing?

Thanks a lot!!!

Don't take my word for it - I've just started doing the work in law school.
1) I think it's talking about the power of the executive (specifically wants mention of the royal prerogative). You could go on to discuss the rest of its powers, but that would depend on how you went about it I THINK.
2) I'm pretty sure being a law student entails you finding all that stuff yourself. Starts off hard, but with practice you should get better.
Reply 2
Hi Tankeel,

It's been a couple of years since I did Public law, but this is what the question means to me:

1) It's asking you to define "royal prerogative" and how it relates to the executive's (government's) power.
- For understanding of the royal prerogative, I'd suggest you do some research on Dicey and Bagehot - you'll find the answers there. It's basically referencing the residuary power of the Crown and how it's now vested in modern government (Queen and her Ministers).
- For understanding the concept of the "executive", I'd suggest that you look briefly at the idea of "separation of powers" between the three overarching legal institutions - executive (government), legislator (Parliament) and judicary (courts). You'll find the the powers of the executive are broad, and that parliamentary scrutiny is perpetually missing.

2) Explore the use of prerogative powers by the executive in the context of the Syrian arms crisis.
- Research the different prerogative powers the government has, and see which relate to armormount, international affairs and/or war.
- As a starting point, you'll find that one of the main prerogative powers is that the government can declare and conduct war.

As long as you do the research, I'm sure your essay will be fine!

Fortune1013.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending