Where are the worst and best places in London??

Watch
ThenAaliyahSaid
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Just wondering
senz72
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I live in a place called Walthamstow which is in East London. 75% of it is a dump.

Posted from TSR Mobile
ThenAaliyahSaid
Rep:
?
(Original post by senz72)
I live in a place called Walthamstow which is in East London. 75% of it is a dump.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've been there like three times it's pretty bad but I think Whitechapel is the slums as well as North West London excluding Golders Green
yennibubs
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
What do you mean by 'best'? Is this in terms of low crime rate or things to do?

Posted from TSR Mobile
ThenAaliyahSaid
Rep:
?
(Original post by yennibubs)
What do you mean by 'best'? Is this in terms of low crime rate or things to do?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Everything combined really.. whether it's a great place to live
senz72
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by ThenAaliyahSaid)
I've been there like three times it's pretty bad but I think Whitechapel is the slums as well as North West London excluding Golders Green
Whitechapel is quite bad.

I have no idea how London can be so bad when there was so much cash sploshing around back in 2005.

It's completely odd. :/
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by senz72)
Whitechapel is quite bad.

I have no idea how London can be so bad when there was so much cash sploshing around back in 2005.

It's completely odd. :/
Because most of it wasn't sploshing around Whitechapel...

London has an extremely wide range of wealth. You can have areas of extreme poverty and deprivation very close to areas of massive wealth and stunning mansions. A lot of areas that were once considered slums are now "up-and-coming" as property prices rise, but the distribution of wealth is still very uneven.
senz72
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Helenia)

London has an extremely wide range of wealth. You can have areas of extreme poverty and deprivation very close to areas of massive wealth and stunning mansions. A lot of areas that were once considered slums are now "up-and-coming" as property prices rise, but the distribution of wealth is still very uneven.
I mean council budgets, where were all the tax revenue apart from the proportion going to Iraq?
FreedomCostsTax
Badges: 12
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Helenia)

Yeah, you are right to some degree. They are knocking down council estates in Brixton and relocating people to Croydon. Now Brixton is just full of white people and gays lol... when back in the day you would get your head kicked in if you were openly gay and in Brixton.
WGR
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Just wondering
There's two types of best and worst. Best and worst in terms of crime and best and worse in terms of how the area looks. For the former many people will go on about how so and so London suburb is the next Compton but the statistical truth is that crime is highest in the centre of London so places like Croydon has a lot less crime than the West End. For the latter, again it depends on distance from the centre with everywhere tending to look the same depending on the distance from the centre. Places in inner London like Brixton and Hackney will have a lot of crappy looking tower blocks but still have a fair few posh squares and Georgian houses like their neighbours Kennington and Islington and places further out like Tottenham and Acton tend to have the same bland victorian houses as their more well-heeled neighbours Finchley and Ealing.

To summarize, Crime is actually highest in the centre so you're actually safer in Peckham than you are in Soho and most of London looks pretty much the same with a few small pockets of really nice and really crappy looking.
Alpha brah
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
In before someone comes in talking about the North/South or West/East divide. :teehee:
brent_
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Just wondering
Worst: Between Brixton, Hackney, Stratford and Walthamstow. I lived there and had the worst time of my life
Alpha brah
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by brent_)
Worst: Between Brixton, Hackney, Stratford and Walthamstow. I lived there and had the worst time of my life
One of my best friends is from Stratford, I've been to visit her and it doesn't seem as bad as they make out though? Where did you live?
FlavaFavourFruit
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Brixton looks awful...never been to any other parts.....
SecretDuck
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I lived in Hampstead and wow, was it a good area! :moon:
DoctorInTraining
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I live in Camden and I love it
brent_
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Alpha brah)
One of my best friends is from Stratford, I've been to visit her and it doesn't seem as bad as they make out though? Where did you live?
I live now in King's lynn in Norfolk now. I lived 2 years in each of those mention above aside from Stratford, I lived there for 8 months. I would say Stratford is not that bad, but crime rate wise, it is one of the worst places around London imo.
rockrunride
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Camden is unique in that it's a bit of a dump, but a fun dump.

(Original post by brent_)
I live now in King's lynn in Norfolk now. I lived 2 years in each of those mention above aside from Stratford, I lived there for 8 months. I would say Stratford is not that bad, but crime rate wise, it is one of the worst places around London imo.
Spent my teenage years in the utopia that is KL.
qasidb
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I've lived in a Borough called Bromley virtually my whole life which is a great place to live yet not many people know about it (even though it is the largest Borough in London).
However, Bromley's next door neighbours Lewisham and Croydon are more well known. Although not for the right reasons.

Apparently Tower Hamlets is probably the most run-down place in London. The best I think is Kensington and Chelsea.
DoctorInTraining
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by rockrunride)
Camden is unique in that it's a bit of a dump, but a fun dump.

Spent my teenage years in the utopia that is KL.
Yup it's a bit rough round the edges but it's friendly and safe despite it's more alternative residents!

Love the place Cheaper than other nice areas like Chelsea but within 15 mins walk of the stunning Primrose Hill
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (554)
33.9%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (676)
41.37%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (330)
20.2%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (74)
4.53%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed