The Student Room Group

Where are the worst and best places in London??

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by qasidb
I've lived in a Borough called Bromley virtually my whole life which is a great place to live yet not many people know about it (even though it is the largest Borough in London).
However, Bromley's next door neighbours Lewisham and Croydon are more well known. Although not for the right reasons.

Apparently Tower Hamlets is probably the most run-down place in London. The best I think is Kensington and Chelsea.

Lol everybody knows about Lewisham and Croydon and not for the right reasons as you say. I think the most unknown borough has to be Merton. Why didn't they just call it Wimbledon borough?
Reply 21
Original post by DoctorInTraining
Yup it's a bit rough round the edges but it's friendly and safe despite it's more alternative residents!

Love the place :biggrin: Cheaper than other nice areas like Chelsea but within 15 mins walk of the stunning Primrose Hill :biggrin:

- Camden
- Safe
- No
Original post by WGR
- Camden
- Safe
- No

Where in the borough do you live to make that statement?
Richmond is considered one of the best places. Most of South West London is nice, other than Brixton, Roehampton etc :wink:
Edmonton and tottenham are really **** areas, avoid going there.
Original post by Infinity_4652

Tottenham is a right dump tbh
Hendon and Colindale are both dumps. Or were when I was there.
Reply 27
Original post by BeautifullyTragic
Richmond is considered one of the best places. Most of South West London is nice, other than Brixton, Roehampton etc :wink:

Yes! Richmond is amazing! My whole family dreams of living there lol.

Original post by ThenAaliyahSaid

Hey don't hate on Tottenham, some parts are actually not even that bad. I used to think it was all a hole until I moved there and I actually quite like the place now. There's nothing wrong with Tottenham Hale, it's just a retail park with some new modern developments, Seven Sisters is improving, they renovated the high road there and there's coffee shops now, Bruce Grove is still ****, Northumberland Park is still scary and the bit near Wood Green and Turnpike Lane actually has some nice well maintained houses tucked round the back which I presume is a result of wealthy people wanting to live in that area without paying for the expensive Hornsey postcode. I'd recommend Tottenham as a place to move because as people get priced out of zone 2 they are going to move there and gentrify the area because the transport links are excellent (N15 at least), there are a lot of new developments going on and it's cheap as chips.

As for Edmonton, I have nothing good to say about that place.
Original post by ThenAaliyahSaid

I've been staying at white hart lane,tottenham for 3 weeks now and i have to say that tottenham high road is so messed up.
The stadium is a mess. But from what i've seen at the construction going on, the entire area will be regenerated in probably 2 years or so.

Edmonton N18 has been my home for 9 years now and i've never liked it here.

Original post by WGR
Hey don't hate on Tottenham, some parts are actually not even that bad. I used to think it was all a hole until I moved there and I actually quite like the place now. There's nothing wrong with Tottenham Hale, it's just a retail park with some new modern developments, Seven Sisters is improving, they renovated the high road there and there's coffee shops now, Bruce Grove is still ****, Northumberland Park is still scary and the bit near Wood Green and Turnpike Lane actually has some nice well maintained houses tucked round the back which I presume is a result of wealthy people wanting to live in that area without paying for the expensive Hornsey postcode. I'd recommend Tottenham as a place to move because as people get priced out of zone 2 they are going to move there and gentrify the area because the transport links are excellent (N15 at least), there are a lot of new developments going on and it's cheap as chips.

Tottenham hale is a really good area, it's the tottenham high road i'm talking about.
The construction going on at tottenham hale is causing so much traffic and diversions.
The 230 bus (leyton-wood green) that i take to go college everyday has been diverted to stamford hill road and i nearly got lost the other day. :mmm:

Well tbh, everywhere is being rejenerated. But i've never liked north london. I think east london is more of my home...if only it was though.

Edmonton has always been messed up. My secondary school is in the N18 area, i'm glad i've finally left after 6 years.
Reply 29
I've been staying at white hart lane,tottenham for 3 weeks now and i have to say that tottenham high road is so messed up.
The stadium is a mess. But from what i've seen at the construction going on, the entire area will be regenerated in probably 2 years or so.

Edmonton N18 has been my home for 9 years now and i've never liked it here.

Tottenham hale is a really good area, it's the tottenham high road i'm talking about.
The construction going on at tottenham hale is causing so much traffic and diversions.
The 230 bus (leyton-wood green) that i take to go college everyday has been diverted to stamford hill road and i nearly got lost the other day. :mmm:

Well tbh, everywhere is being rejenerated. But i've never liked north london. I think east london is more of my home...if only it was though.

Edmonton has always been messed up. My secondary school is in the N18 area, i'm glad i've finally left after 6 years.

Yeah Tottenham high road is ghetto, for years I was too scared to go there at night. But what I'm saying is that the bits round the back away from the main area aren't that bad.

They did the same with the 341 bus, it did some next long diversion up to Stamford Hill bus garage and back. If the diversions are screwing up your journey why not try getting the train from South Tottenham to Leyton Midland Road? It's like three stops.
Original post by senz72
Whitechapel is quite bad.

I have no idea how London can be so bad when there was so much cash sploshing around back in 2005.

It's completely odd. :/

Frederick Engles described the residents of Whitechapel as "the poorest of the poor".
Original post by DoctorInTraining
Where in the borough do you live to make that statement?

Camden at night is just full of crack heads and drunks, I've seen every kind of weirdo in that place. It's not dangerous though.
Original post by FreedomCostsTax
Camden at night is just full of crack heads and drunks, I've seen every kind of weirdo in that place. It's not dangerous though.

Yep - a proper mix of all types...hobos, druggies, drunks, hippies, students, young professionals... but is safe and generally friendly :smile:
Original post by WGR
I'd recommend Tottenham as a place to move because as people get priced out of zone 2 they are going to move there and gentrify the area because the transport links are excellent (N15 at least), there are a lot of new developments going on and it's cheap as chips.

Tottenham is an absolute sh!t hole. I certainly wouldn't recommend anyone to move there, and this is coming from someone that is born and raised around the area. It's the home of the riots, full of drugs, robberies, burglaries and prostitution. They are redeveloping the area, but that will take years to take effect.

And that's why it's 'cheap as chips' lol.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 34
Tottenham is an absolute sh!t hole. I certainly wouldn't recommend anyone to move there, and this is coming from someone that is born and raised around the area. It's the home of the riots, full of drugs, robberies, burglaries and prostitution. They are redeveloping the area, but that will take years to take effect.

And that's why it's 'cheap as chips' lol.

It's actually not that bad and this is coming from someone who used to hate the area with a passion. Riots, riots started in Notting Hill once and now look at the place, Drugs, everywhere is full of drugs, Robberies, there are more robberies in Wood Green a policeman told me this. Burglaries, burglars go for rich areas, prostitution, the only time I've ever seen hookers in Haringey was on Green Lanes which is not in Tottenham. Nothing wrong with prostitution anyway.

I agree that Tottenham is mostly a ****hole but what I'm trying to say is a) the crime isn't that much worse than other areas if you look at the stats, the area just has a reputation b) the western side of Tottenham is quite nice. It's quiet, leafy and the houses are decent.
Reply 35

I have a saying that it is impossible to look weird in Camden because there's always someone in some seriously weird gear walking down the high street lol.
Original post by WGR
It's actually not that bad and this is coming from someone who used to hate the area with a passion. Riots, riots started in Notting Hill once and now look at the place, Drugs, everywhere is full of drugs, Robberies, there are more robberies in Wood Green a policeman told me this. Burglaries, burglars go for rich areas, prostitution, the only time I've ever seen hookers in Haringey was on Green Lanes which is not in Tottenham. Nothing wrong with prostitution anyway.

I agree that Tottenham is mostly a ****hole but what I'm trying to say is a) the crime isn't that much worse than other areas if you look at the stats, the area just has a reputation b) the western side of Tottenham is quite nice. It's quiet, leafy and the houses are decent.

Haringey has the highest burglary rate in the UK, most of it in Wood Green and Tottenham. I know people that have been burgled 5+ times in N17... And its full of street prostitutes at night and brothels that have pimps controlling them. The crime is a lot higher than other areas, it's just that most of it is criminals vs criminals, so it never gets reported.
Reply 37
Haringey has the highest burglary rate in the UK, most of it in Wood Green and Tottenham. I know people that have been burgled 5+ times in N17... And its full of street prostitutes at night and brothels that have pimps controlling them. The crime is a lot higher than other areas, it's just that most of it is criminals vs criminals, so it never gets reported.

This is complete bull****, even the Farm burglary rate is not above UK average. You also have provided zero sources for your outlandish claim that the little tiny unremarkable borough of Haringey has a higher burglary rate than the entire country.

It's not full of street prostitutes I roll around on my bike late at night all the time because I'm bored or going to the local Turkish shop for a midnight snack and I told you already the only only time I ever saw a hooker was on Green Lanes once. I've been to other places like Forest Gate where there's one every couple yards. As for the brothels I know a couple and none are controlled by pimps because the girls themselves told me that pimping is way too hot so the only way the girls can work without too much police hassle is to be independent. There are many brothels but a quick search on a certain website shows that there are many brothels everywhere else. From what I've seen most of the brothels are in central London, Stratford (presumably because of the olympics) and Wembley for some reason. There isn't a particularly unusually large cluster in Tottenham.

Criminals vs criminals crime is not a concern to the average public. Places like Stoke Newington is infested with Turkish mafia yet it is seen as a very desirable place to live because innocent people never get hurt. If you're not in a gang no-one is going to trouble you in Tottenham.
Original post by WGR
Yeah Tottenham high road is ghetto, for years I was too scared to go there at night. But what I'm saying is that the bits round the back away from the main area aren't that bad.

They did the same with the 341 bus, it did some next long diversion up to Stamford Hill bus garage and back. If the diversions are screwing up your journey why not try getting the train from South Tottenham to Leyton Midland Road? It's like three stops.

Are you talking about where white hart lane station is?? Or haringey sixth form centre??
I was walking home the other day, past the the back of the sixth form centre where they have all the flats...i was really surprised to see everything so brand new and all modern. :eek:

It seems they've also diverted the 279 and 349 on tottenham high road to tottenham hale.
I prefer to just take the 230, i'm not paying for trains lol.
Original post by WGR

I have lived in Tottenham for most of my life. I guess it is steadily improving. Also Edmonton is getting gentrified too. Loads of new apartment being built.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending