The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

American choosing between Edinburgh and Manchester

Hello, I have been accepted to both Edinburgh and Manchester. I am an international student, and will be unable to visit either of these universities. Does anyone know which one is more prestigious? The course I've been accepted to at Edinburgh is: Spanish & Politics(unconditional) and i am still waiting to hear back about International Relations. At Manchester, I've received conditional offers for: Business studies and politics, as well as International relations & politics.

I know that both are top-notch uni's, but I am unsure of which one is better recognized internationally. Also, in terms of night life which one is better? What kind of night life activities are available? I am looking for an atmosphere with lots of bars and clubs, and shopping.

Thank you!
Original post by Burke95
Hello, I have been accepted to both Edinburgh and Manchester. I am an international student, and will be unable to visit either of these universities. Does anyone know which one is more prestigious? The course I've been accepted to at Edinburgh is: Spanish & Politics(unconditional) and i am still waiting to hear back about International Relations. At Manchester, I've received conditional offers for: Business studies and politics, as well as International relations & politics.

I know that both are top-notch uni's, but I am unsure of which one is better recognized internationally. Also, in terms of night life which one is better? What kind of night life activities are available? I am looking for an atmosphere with lots of bars and clubs, and shopping.

Thank you!
I live in Manchester and have a son who is at Edinburgh university. Edinburgh tends to come slightly higher on international league tables, if that means anything to you, but Manchester also has a pretty good international standing as well. Manchester is very much a party city, with lots of very good shops, but it's urban and gritty. Edinburgh is much smaller (and colder) but has lots of touristic appeal and some very decorative bits to it. It has a massive arts festival every summer, and as a capital city, albeit a small one, it has a lot to offer in most respects. My son loves Edinburgh, but then I felt the same way about Manchester when I came here as a student myself. Guess that's not much help to you, really.... I'd pick Edinburgh if I had my time over again, for what it's worth.
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Reply 2
Edinburgh.
Reply 3
Edinburgh I think. It is very well regarded nationally, and was ranked 17th in the world this year. It is such a gorgeous city too!
Reply 4
Well it depend on the course you wanna do.Both are good in the respective subjects you have applied for.
But Manchester Business School is well reputed when compared to University of Edinburgh business school.

Posted from TSR Mobile
If you want to live in a city with any sort of music scene go to Manchester because there sure is nothing going on in Edinburgh. Doubt employers view either university as being better than the other.
Reply 6
Original post by carnationlilyrose
I live in Manchester and have a son who is at Edinburgh university. Edinburgh tends to come slightly higher on international league tables, if that means anything to you, but Manchester also has a pretty good international standing as well. Manchester is very much a party city, with lots of very good shops, but it's urban and gritty. Edinburgh is much smaller (and colder) but has lots of touristic appeal and some very decorative bits to it. It has a massive arts festival every summer, and as a capital city, albeit a small one, it has a lot to offer in most respects. My son loves Edinburgh, but then I felt the same way about Manchester when I came here as a student myself. Guess that's not much help to you, really.... I'd pick Edinburgh if I had my time over again, for what it's worth.

Edinburgh.
Edinburgh
Original post by drummer123
Edinburgh.

I think you've quoted the wrong person.
Reply 9
Thank you all for your help. I am trying to visit in the next few months if possible, but I think i am going to end up choosing Edinburgh.
Original post by Burke95
Thank you all for your help. I am trying to visit in the next few months if possible, but I think i am going to end up choosing Edinburgh.

Edinburgh. It's gorgeous.
Original post by Burke95

No surprise that people in the Edinburgh forum are telling you to go to Edinburgh. :tongue:

If you ever have any specific questions about the uni, just let us know in the "Ask a Student" thread at the top of this forum. We've got loads of people studying loads of different subjects at Edinburgh here, and they'll be happy to help. :smile:
Reply 12
Edinburgh for academic reasons (slightly higher overall reputation)

Manchester if you want a slightly better/more 'happening' social life.
Reply 13
Manchester if you want to 'party'.

Edinburgh if you want to study.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending