The Student Room Group

UCAS reference HELP! Don't have a referee!

Hi! :smile:

So my problem is that Im an EU student, graduated from high school last year, and none of my potential referees speak English. Truth be told the only English speaking person Ive ever met from my country is my former English teacher in high school and even he doesnt speak adequate English plus I havent seen him/talked to him in almost two years so I cant contact him and even if I could, I didnt have a good relationship with him and he probably wouldn't even bother writing my reference... plus hes never written one as it isnt common pratice in my country.

Ive had an employer but again, he doesnt speak English and none of my other former teachers speak English. I was thinking maybe I could have one of my teachers write it in Hungarian then have it translated by an agency or something, but UCAS says that the reference must be written in English, plus you have to give your contacts details like email address and phone number so they couldnt contact my referee if they wanted to talk to him about me or something...

So what exactly am I supposed to do? Im just so frustrated cause if I dont get a reference I cant even apply. :frown:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by lachicadorada
Hi! :smile:

So my problem is that Im an EU student, graduated from high school last year, and none of my potential referees speak English. Truth be told the only English speaking person Ive ever met from my country is my former English teacher in high school and even he doesnt speak adequate English plus I havent seen him/talked to him in almost two years so I cant contact him and even if I could, I didnt have a good relationship with him and he probably wouldn't even bother writing my reference... plus hes never written one as it isnt common pratice in my country.

Ive had an employer but again, he doesnt speak English and none of my other former teachers speak English. I was thinking maybe I could have one of my teachers write it in Hungarian then have it translated by an agency or something, but UCAS says that the reference must be written in English, plus you have to give your contacts details like email address and phone number so they couldnt contact my referee if they wanted to talk to him about me or something...

So what exactly am I supposed to do? Im just so frustrated cause if I dont get a reference I cant even apply. :frown:

Sounds like you need to give UCAS a call and ask what to do!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending