The Student Room Group

Trouble concentrating and focusing on doing work at home

I am a sixth form student and have just started my AS courses. I've found that especially after the long summer holiday after my GCSEs last year that I've completely lost my work ethic. Now, at home, I struggle to concentrate and do any work. In class it's not too bad but I always end up doing my homework very last minute, like, lunchtime before class last minute.

I was just wondering if anyone has any tips or tricks that work for them to get them in the 'work zone' and be productive. I want to do well in my A levels and I put in a lot of work to move to the sixth form I'm at.

Thanks!
Original post by michelleaa
I am a sixth form student and have just started my AS courses. I've found that especially after the long summer holiday after my GCSEs last year that I've completely lost my work ethic. Now, at home, I struggle to concentrate and do any work. In class it's not too bad but I always end up doing my homework very last minute, like, lunchtime before class last minute.

I was just wondering if anyone has any tips or tricks that work for them to get them in the 'work zone' and be productive. I want to do well in my A levels and I put in a lot of work to move to the sixth form I'm at.

Thanks!

So my sixth form pattern was the following....

- walk home (2 miles) cleared my head of school gossip
- cup of tea and watch a favourite TV show
- turn TV off and all over noises and sit at the desk doing work before dinner
- eat dinner
- after dinner assess remaining workload - either have evening off relaxing or go back and carry on
- bed by 10.30pm

I got AAAAB at A2 so clearly effective!
Reply 2
Original post by DoctorInTraining
So my sixth form pattern was the following....

- walk home (2 miles) cleared my head of school gossip
- cup of tea and watch a favourite TV show
- turn TV off and all over noises and sit at the desk doing work before dinner
- eat dinner
- after dinner assess remaining workload - either have evening off relaxing or go back and carry on
- bed by 10.30pm

I got AAAAB at A2 so clearly effective!

I take a school bus that's just under an hour so I'll be reading a book or something and when I get home I'll just want to carry on reading!

My problem is just that I'll sit down to work and just stare at my work or get distracted by my laptop or phone or something.
I take a school bus that's just under an hour so I'll be reading a book or something and when I get home I'll just want to carry on reading!

My problem is just that I'll sit down to work and just stare at my work or get distracted by my laptop or phone or something.

Well it's great you are a passionate reader - but I would use your time on the bus to prioritise you work over the evening so that you are focused on what you need to do when you get in.

Phone off/silent whilst working.

Why is your laptop even on?!?! Most homework like French and Maths are handwritten....
Reply 4
Original post by DoctorInTraining
Well it's great you are a passionate reader - but I would use your time on the bus to prioritise you work over the evening so that you are focused on what you need to do when you get in.

Phone off/silent whilst working.

Why is your laptop even on?!?! Most homework like French and Maths are handwritten....

My school has an online folder system thing. It has a lot of work resources and all of my maths homework is set on there - there are homework documents from past years etc. that the teacher sets as our homework. I have philosophy and ethics essays to write or I use the internet to look up things I don't know in chem or bio.
My school has an online folder system thing. It has a lot of work resources and all of my maths homework is set on there - there are homework documents from past years etc. that the teacher sets as our homework. I have philosophy and ethics essays to write or I use the internet to look up things I don't know in chem or bio.

Ok well then you need to focus and only open the needed websites - no Facebook, chat forums, skype etc

Essays - break them into stages - planning - sourcing support evidence - rough plan by hand in bull points then sit down and write it - then edit it.

I would write all the maths out by hand - complete it with the laptop off - then write your answers in once you have done it. you won't have a computer in the exam so you need to get used to doing things on paper!
Reply 6
Set yourself goals and rewards... For example, 'if I revise chemistry for 40 minutes, I can then have 15 reading'. I even set timers on my phone if I'm struggling.
done zero hours of work outside lessons for A levels from September - March

Started revising outside lessons in April.

Got AAA.

BOOM.

Address me as your highness.

A Levels ain't hard, don't trick yourself into them harder than they actually are.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending