The Student Room Group

toilet roll and housemates

I live in a student house with 3 other housemates, me and 1 girl lived here last year and 2 new girls moved in this year.
Over the past week, me and one of the new girls have noticed that were having to put in a new roll daily which seems excessive!
recently one of the girls brought a 40 pack from costco as its better value for money but still not cheap as its good quality and thats what weve all decided to use. normally one person will buy it and the others pay them back however one girl doesnt pay back for ages. and the one who brought it is annoyed that its being used so quickly especially when not everyones paid.
one of the girls is out 9-5 every week day, im in uni about 15 hours a week and the rest at home, then the other 2 are in and out during the days probably same amount of uni time as me, with one of them working afternoon/evenings about half the week.
i looked at the packs and it says each roll has 165 sheets and they arent small rolls, just what we normally have.
what should we do about it, is 1 roll a day excessive for 4 people?
Reply 1
One of your female flatmates is actually a guy who tugs off 3 times a day. Nah but seriously maybe they are using it to wipe makeup or something. Ask them wtf do they do with so much toilet roll.
Just each take your own toilet roll into the toilet with you whenever you go. Solves all the problems because the one who doesn't pay will have to start buying her own. Or, ask her for the money upfront before you go and buy it, and tell everyone you're not going to buy it until they've given you the money first.

That is a lot though, I live with 2 other people and we use about 2 rolls a week...
You may find that'd the usage changes depending on how many of you are on your periods - I know I use more then.
Life's too short for worrying about things like this let alone for trying to get other people to weigh in with their opinions!
Ahahahhaa what a conundrum!
Seriously... just have your own hidden stash!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Could be using it in place of kitchen roll.
Reply 7
I use one roll a week roughly on my own. And I spend a lot of time at home.

If you're all using it just for "toilet business" and not removing make up/clearing spilt drinks etc, it should definitely last longer. Either take your own roll with you every time, or tell stingy to pay up.
Reply 8
its doesnt make much sense all of us taking in our own one when theres 4 of us.
the paying isnt really the issue, illl just add it to her gas bill and not tell her what its for and shell pay it! its the fact that its disappearing at such a quick rate.
i know for girls its going to go quicker but last year it was all girls as well as we never used this much. i know girls use more when on their periods and i know one of them is but surely one a day is too much! we paid about £13 for 40, which at this rate will last us a month and a third! if we hadnt been able to get it in bulk it would be so much more expensive!
i dont see people using it for make up or other stuff, we have a separate toilet and bathroom and my room is in between them so i would be able to see people taking toilet roll away!
Reply 9
What happened at the end of 2 years in my student house was we all had our own roll we'd take in - extreme, but no one else ever bought toilet paper & I'd had enough of paying for everyone.
Reply 10
i dont really want to cause a problem with this, as weve had a few issues with one of the girls, involving her not locking the front door so im having to have the handle changed. all the other problems have been causing me a lot of stress so this isnt needed.
i think the problem the girl who also noticed is that she doesn't have much money so cant really afford for people to be using 1 roll a day!
i dont want to say everyone take in their own rolls as that'll cause problems, also we still have like 30 rolls in the cupboard that everyone knows where they are and will take when needs replacing!

Quick Reply

Latest