The Student Room Group

PGCE primary interview at Institute of Education next week

I am excited to have been offered an interview next week. However i was wondering what type of questions they typically ask at the one-to-one interview and what the personal presentation is typically on. I was also wondering what the group collaborative activity generally is?
congrats, I haven't applied for there, but from what I read here last year, presentations are usually on either current news/events related to teaching OR you have to prepare a lesson plan or presentation to a class as though you were teaching it. After the presentation the other candidates and the tutors there ask you questions so you have to be very quick thinking and ready to improvise stuff on the spot, so not much pre-preparation involved, you just have to be good at responding to questions and being put on the spot. I don't think we are allowed to discuss specific questions (against TSR rules) but its nothing too scary just be confident and speak clearly.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by lils28
I was also wondering what the group collaborative activity generally is?

Whatever the task is, do not monopolise it or be a shrinking violet and fail to get involved. The important thing is to be seen to listen carefully to others and to contribute.
Original post by lils28
I am excited to have been offered an interview next week. However i was wondering what type of questions they typically ask at the one-to-one interview and what the personal presentation is typically on.

There are some stock questions that will almost certainly be asked:

"Why do you want to teach?"

"Why Primary?"

"Why do you want to train at the IoE?"

"What did you learn from classroom observation at XXX school?"

"What qualities do you have that will make you an excellent teacher?"

You will be expected to deliver well-rehearsed answers that ooze enthusiasm and reflectiveness in equal measures.

Good luck.
"How would you re-engage a child who had become dis-engaged with their learning" is also a popular one.
Original post by WanderingRanger
"How would you re-engage a child who had become dis-engaged with their learning" is also a popular one.

Bribe them with sweets?
Original post by WanderingRanger

And one for which I still haven't found a simple enough answer to offer at an interview even after 30 years of doing the job.
Reply 7
I've got an interview next week too, is it an assessment centre type day or just the interview? Slightly confused!
Reply 8
what kind of topic would they give you for literacy written task/
Reply 9
Original post by fatima234
what kind of topic would they give you for literacy written task/

I had an interview this week, and the literacy was an article from 2012 about the government change on including more challenging maths topics to the year 6 curriculum (my interview was for secondary pgce maths). I had to write about 200 words on my opinions,

Just take a deep breath and don't panic - the main reason they want you to do a literacy writing piece is to check that you have the ability to string sentences together with good punctuation, spelling and grammar. :smile:
Original post by rede121
I had an interview this week, and the literacy was an article from 2012 about the government change on including more challenging maths topics to the year 6 curriculum (my interview was for secondary pgce maths). I had to write about 200 words on my opinions,

Just take a deep breath and don't panic - the main reason they want you to do a literacy writing piece is to check that you have the ability to string sentences together with good punctuation, spelling and grammar. :smile:

Was this for primary or secondary?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Original post by Simplysweet01
Was this for primary or secondary?

Posted from TSR Mobile

it was for secondary maths
Original post by rede121
it was for secondary maths

Wow they gave you a literacy article for a maths PGCE!?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Original post by Simplysweet01
Wow they gave you a literacy article for a maths PGCE!?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, i think this is standard for most universities though, they want to make sure that you can write efficiently enough :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest