IB student - teacher unable to predict bonus points Watch

SorenaJ
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi.
I'm applying to Edinburgh for Astrophysics, and I'm predicted 36 points without bonus points. I know that I'll be able to get 1-2 bonus points for TOK and EE, but my teacher won't predict it.

It says that a typical offer is 37 points, which I would (at least) be predicted if my teacher would have predicted bonus points. Should I be worried as my total predicted score is lower than the typical offer? Or if I get an offer, will it then be an offer of 37 even though my predicted grade is lower? Will the admissions office take into account that it is without bonus points?

Have any IB students had a problem like this? I'm really worried :/

BTW, what are my chances for Astrophysics with a predicted 36 (again without bonus points) and 665 at HL?
Blayenne
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hey,

it's been quite a while since you asked about it and I hope your problem's already been solved : )
Anyway, if not, I finished the IB DP in May 2013 and I'm quite surprised your teacher wouldn't predict your bonus points... Is it the TOK teacher or the one you're writing your EE with?

Last year when I was applying for Medicine in the UK I didn't give information about my bonus points, but I had a score high enough without them.
What I'd do if I were you, would be to talk to your teacher and insist on predicting you a grade. The TOK teacher can estimate your grade basing on your Presentation (if you had it already, and you should've). Teacher who helps you with your EE could either take an average score from the previous years or give you a predicted grade basing on your grade from the subject (if you've got 7 then A, if 6 or 5 then B etc.)

Be persistent, because more points always look better!
I hope you'll do fine, feel free to quote me or PM me if you've got any questions.

Cheers!
SorenaJ
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by Blayenne)
Hey,

it's been quite a while since you asked about it and I hope your problem's already been solved : )
Anyway, if not, I finished the IB DP in May 2013 and I'm quite surprised your teacher wouldn't predict your bonus points... Is it the TOK teacher or the one you're writing your EE with?

Last year when I was applying for Medicine in the UK I didn't give information about my bonus points, but I had a score high enough without them.
What I'd do if I were you, would be to talk to your teacher and insist on predicting you a grade. The TOK teacher can estimate your grade basing on your Presentation (if you had it already, and you should've). Teacher who helps you with your EE could either take an average score from the previous years or give you a predicted grade basing on your grade from the subject (if you've got 7 then A, if 6 or 5 then B etc.)

Be persistent, because more points always look better!
I hope you'll do fine, feel free to quote me or PM me if you've got any questions.

Cheers!
Hi. I managed to convince her to predict bonus points (her argument was that the bonus points are not certain yet, which doesn't really make sense, 'cause neither are my other grades..), and change some of my other grades, now I'm 41 with 766 at HL (and 3 bonus points). Looks better!

I talked to Edinburgh, and if any IBers are in the same situtation: Just email them and tell them your ucas ID and they'll put a note on your application that says that the total score is without bonus points because teacher was unable to predict them.

But thanks for your reply
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (160)
17.78%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (77)
8.56%
No I am happy with my course choice (535)
59.44%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (128)
14.22%

Watched Threads