Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

What's Bristol really like?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Birkenhead
I'm a fresher doing English at Brizzle.

Hey :smile:
Is the tutorial/seminar size same for the law course - i.e. is there usually only 2/3 people?
I was under the impression there are usually around 10 to 12 people for a tutorial

Also, does anyone know how much the cinemas cost?

:smile:

Thanks

xx
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
Original post by iamyourmum
Hey :smile:
Is the tutorial/seminar size same for the law course - i.e. is there usually only 2/3 people?
I was under the impression there are usually around 10 to 12 people for a tutorial

Also, does anyone know how much the cinemas cost?

Thanks

xx

As I said, seminars and tutorials doing English have been in theory of about 10 and in practice (with absences) usually from 2-4. I can't comment on law since I haven't been to any of theirs, but I do know that there are more contact hours for law and I hear it is altogether more rigorously taught.

We recently saw Hobbit 2 at Odeon and it was ~£8, but very spacious on a Friday evening: people were there but it was far from busy, which I like. Showcase is a much more popular (and busy) cinema, but also much posher so probably not cheaper.

(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 42
Original post by Birkenhead
As I said, seminars and tutorials doing English have been in theory of about 10 and in practice (with absences) usually from 2-4. I can't comment on law since I haven't been to any of theirs, but I do know that there are more contact hours for law and I hear it is altogether more rigorously taught.

We recently saw Hobbit 2 at Odeon and it was ~£8, but very spacious on a Friday evening: people were there but it was far from busy, which I like. Showcase is a much more popular (and busy) cinema, but also much posher so probably not cheaper.

It's funny because in the city I live in the Odeon is posh, with about 13 massive screens and it's all modern. The Showcase on the other hand is a dump with less screens, old seats and just worse in general :')

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 43
Original post by Delphinus
I've lived in Bristol for nearly twenty years and also go to the university, not that it's a competition

I also don't particularly care about the night life - that's not what I was referring to.

Why are you comparing Bristol to London? I dont really care why you think London is better. I just thought your comments about Bristol were totally incorrect and claims completely unfounded.

There's probably about 10 or so cinemas in Bristol, not two. Bristol has at least three museums (not including red lodge and the Georgian house) and loads of other places of historical interest (SS Great Britain, MShed, Blaise Castle, suspension bridge...) but of course they aren't national museums - London is the capital of England.. Bristol isn't...

It's called the Downs.... or Ashton court? There are plenty of parks, shows how little of Bristol you've been to.

Only a big sainsburys - are you serious? There's 4 ASDA superstores, two tesco extras, and several large Sainsbury's. That's only naming a few.

Zoo? I can think of better things to judge a city on rather than its zoo. And its topography.. There's a few hills, so what?

Transport, no it's not great. The only comment you've made with an element of truth.

Its not about me loving Bristol. Its about you judging it by its zoo and its 'field' when clearly you've seen very little of the city.

Well most people would go to the cinemas that are closest to them rather than fork out an extra bit of cash to take a bus to the Warner Vue cinema...The others are probably smaller cinemas which I can't comment on, but won't have all the major films. If that is your cup of tea than great.

Yes there is only a big Sainsbury's. The other supermarkets you mentioned are out of the city. Not everyone can walk there and not everyone has a car. Remember this is a student forum. The others you've mentioned are probably a bus ride away from where students typically live (dunno about the Downs if that has major supermarkets) but who wants to take a bus to go get shopping..

I haven't just judged Bristol on a zoo, you've just read a comment I've made about the zoo and made an assumption I have done that, lol.

I can judge a city how I want. Its an over-rated city, with little to do, the parks are rubbish and the museums are boring. If you don't like that, tough. I have an opinion. Live with it. Just because your opinions of a city differ, doesn't make mine wrong. I compare it to London because I've lived in London. I shouldn't have to keep defending my own opinion. The OP asked for opinions, I gave it. You can paint a different story if you wish. I've given my views based on where a student may live, so the stuff you've said about the supermarkets is certainly true, but I don't know how accessible they are to people.
Reply 44
Can anyone do a comparison of Bristol to Manchester? I have been Manchester & it seemed very diverse & big.
Thanks for any information.
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending